U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:45 PM

532 posts, read 2,132,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I recently tried Fedora again just to see if things had changed... and guess what... loading VMWare tools bombed because of dependencies (to their defense, Fedora isn't a support platform on VMWare... even though RH enterprise is).
I use ubuntu on a home machine, with vmware, works rally well. A job i was given at work was to set up Fedora with vmware on a new server. What a mission. I did get it going finnaly, nightmare. It is running well now however. Ive had good luck wiht ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10, on an old laptop thats used for surfing/playing and basic network monitoring at customer sites when needed. It ha worked very well for me. I think its catered at new people, people that have been using linux for years probably wont see much of a benefit too it as they have already got their distro and made it work for them. If you wnat to get someone new into it, its a good one to recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 09:10 PM

6,987 posts, read 15,622,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
I use ubuntu on a home machine, with vmware, works rally well. A job i was given at work was to set up Fedora with vmware on a new server. What a mission. I did get it going finnaly, nightmare. It is running well now however. Ive had good luck wiht ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10, on an old laptop thats used for surfing/playing and basic network monitoring at customer sites when needed. It ha worked very well for me. I think its catered at new people, people that have been using linux for years probably wont see much of a benefit too it as they have already got their distro and made it work for them. If you wnat to get someone new into it, its a good one to recommend.
on that machine try installed ubuntu and on install fedora directory server on top of it. Yum on Fedora sucks for updates and screws up dependencies.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:34 PM

11,127 posts, read 12,806,737 times
Well I officially set up my main system with Ubuntu 7.04 and for some odd reason, the video resolution of 1440x900 on Unbuntu seems a bit smaller than it did on WinXp? Go figure. I see there is an updated firefox from the previous version, and some more multi-media apps that are in the add/remove package installer. Having a little difficulty in getting my Nvida PCI express to look exactly how I want it but I imagine with a bit of tweaking it will come around. Can't quite seem to get the contrast/brightness just so, but it is close.

I'd have to say, for a free OS, I am quite amazed really.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well I officially set up my main system with Ubuntu 7.04 and for some odd reason, the video resolution of 1440x900 on Unbuntu seems a bit smaller than it did on WinXp? Go figure. I see there is an updated firefox from the previous version, and some more multi-media apps that are in the add/remove package installer. Having a little difficulty in getting my Nvida PCI express to look exactly how I want it but I imagine with a bit of tweaking it will come around. Can't quite seem to get the contrast/brightness just so, but it is close.

I'd have to say, for a free OS, I am quite amazed really.
have you set up compiz and awn yet?

Old 01-02-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
have you set up compiz and awn yet?
OOOOOOOOh yeah! Sweet! Thats all I have to say about that (in Forest Gump voice)

As I sit here tweaking and downloading extra packages as I move between forums, I must admit, I believe I may just dump the whole windows dual boot set up and stick with Ubuntu. There are just some really handy things with the ability to set up multiple desktops, fully functional and quite extensive office suite, chat clients, and the list goes on... Hell, even my wireless mouse has a tiny icon in the tool bar telling me what my battery life is... sheesh!

I will say this, Ubuntu is windows x 10 and makes entry level Linux usability quite viable. I'm impressed.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:43 PM

the only beef I have with ubuntu/linux is, my laptop seems to run MUCH hotter with it installed for some reason.

I hate open office and last but not lease I have not found a way to convert my .mkv files to .avi or mpg4 so I can play them on my PS3 yet

Until I figure out that last part I still need windows.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:43 AM

I'm just grateful that my knowledge base has expanded a bit

Will work on those details as they come an issue.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:50 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,817,405 times
I'm running PC Linux 2007 and LOVE it. I completely removed Vista from my system because it was crashing too much.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 21,351 times
I do use the latest version of Ubuntu (7.10) and all I have to say is that it works absolutely great for everyday applications. It is stable, you do not need all the cd driver stuff to get your hardware running (everything included within the OS) and all you do feels like it would work properly without causing crashes.

I operate my computer with two operating systems...XP (in my opinion still better than the buggy vista which I hate passionately) for applications which do not run with Linux and Ubuntu on the other half of my hard drive.
When you run ubuntu you will also have full access on the xp-hard drive (read and write) without installing extra applications.

Besides that, if you enjoy visuals....Ubuntu can give you all the effects you know from vista but with only half the memory usage.
All in all, I think ubuntu is just great for office use and other applications which are able to run on it. If you spend a little time with it you will soon recognize its potential....and, you are in control of everything that takes place in the background of the os.

Windows will look like a beta version next to this great freeware os.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:55 PM

532 posts, read 2,132,380 times
Another vote for Ubuntu -

Like i said in a previous post, ive been fighting with Fedora core on these new servers at work, I was asked to use fedora, so I did. I probably have 10 hours in THE BASICS. I finnaly got fed up today and reinstalled one of the servers with my tried and true ubuntu, but 7.10. I had EVERYTHING working in less than 1.5 hours. Basicly out of the box. Unbelievable. Works great, have 4 windows server 2003 vm's runnin on it. I can't say its amazingly faster than them running on the same box with server 2k3, but its what I was asked to do, and definately works. There is still 'room' on the box for me to have the host OS do some other tasks.
short version - go with your instinct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or