U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:40 PM

11,127 posts, read 12,804,701 times

Advertisements

How are some of you folks checking your CPU/Mobo temps? I have the full listing on third party packages listed in my add/remove but I haven't found a temp monitoring function yet.

Anyone have any suggestions and tips for good utilities programs or the necessity for anti-virus (which I installed anyway with the firewall)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 09:54 AM

6,987 posts, read 15,619,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
Another vote for Ubuntu -

Like i said in a previous post, ive been fighting with Fedora core on these new servers at work, I was asked to use fedora, so I did. I probably have 10 hours in THE BASICS. I finnaly got fed up today and reinstalled one of the servers with my tried and true ubuntu, but 7.10. I had EVERYTHING working in less than 1.5 hours. Basicly out of the box. Unbelievable. Works great, have 4 windows server 2003 vm's runnin on it. I can't say its amazingly faster than them running on the same box with server 2k3, but its what I was asked to do, and definately works. There is still 'room' on the box for me to have the host OS do some other tasks.
short version - go with your instinct!
did you try installed fedora directory services on top of ubuntu? That will give you ldap functionality.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:54 AM

A few screen shots of some of the possible eye candy for the Ubuntu desktop. I have played for about a day with it and quite literally, the possibilities are endless on what you can do with it. You can make your desktop do, act, and behave any way your imagination can dream up. I am thoroughly impressed.

I am not sure if you can tell or not, but one of features I enjoy is the ability to make the non active desktop apps semi transparent in order to more easily focus on the active desktop application.

Another great feature is to be able to double click the application header bar and make the application roll up in the bar but still display the application label and the bar. (like a minimized to taskbar but anywhere on the desktop) This makes keeping track of multiple applications easy and removes a lot of clutter.
Attached Thumbnails
Is anyone using Ubuntu or Kubuntu Linux?-dsktop-screen-candy2.png   Is anyone using Ubuntu or Kubuntu Linux?-screenshot.png  

Old 01-23-2008, 04:47 PM

If anyone has used Ubuntu, I am curious as to whether or not WINE is worth having?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:08 PM

2,338 posts, read 7,074,572 times
Ok, well I finally installed Kubuntu on my Acer laptop. I used Feisty Fawn and was just kinda flabbergasted at how much stuff the installation "broke". Here's a rundown:

~No sound
~Touchpad not working correctly
~wacky screen resolution
~no wireless!!!
~no DVD playback in Kaffeine
~no hibernation

However, in less than 24 hours (I did the install last night), I was able to resolve all of these issues (I posted details how in my Livejournal Rude Scribbles ). Some solutions were very easy (like the sound)...while others...like the wireless and the DVD playback took some "creative thinking" really. Thank heavens for the Ubuntu Forums !

Despite all of these issues, I'm pleased with Kubuntu. My laptop is speedy and has a nice, lean OS on it (previously had Vista Basic...yick). I miss Suse though...and that Adept installer thing is very weak compared to YAST. Plus I'm not used to working with the Debian-based packages. But I do love that "apt-get install...." ! Yeah, I needed to be in the terminal a lot over the last 24 hours to get stuff working. But don't worry; that's many because I was doing the wrong stuff.

So far it looks promising. Again, if anyone is having problems with an Acer laptop, I'll probably be able to help you out a bit.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:31 AM

625 posts, read 1,645,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
A few screen shots of some of the possible eye candy for the Ubuntu desktop. I have played for about a day with it and quite literally, the possibilities are endless on what you can do with it. You can make your desktop do, act, and behave any way your imagination can dream up. I am thoroughly impressed.

I am not sure if you can tell or not, but one of features I enjoy is the ability to make the non active desktop apps semi transparent in order to more easily focus on the active desktop application.

Another great feature is to be able to double click the application header bar and make the application roll up in the bar but still display the application label and the bar. (like a minimized to taskbar but anywhere on the desktop) This makes keeping track of multiple applications easy and removes a lot of clutter.
I use Ubuntu on my main pc. I can do anything on it that windows does except games.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:34 AM

625 posts, read 1,645,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
If anyone has used Ubuntu, I am curious as to whether or not WINE is worth having?
I love WINE, never had a problem with it and can run almost any windows app
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or