U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:45 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,536,781 times

Advertisements

I've been a longtime Linux user and have tried many different distributions, but have mostly stuck with SuSE or Mandriva (Mandrake) because their packages just seemed to work the best and included everything I wanted, which is mainly productivity applications and games.

I have seen Ubuntu recently rise in popularity, and from what I've read, it looks like a pretty good distribution. I would like to hear what others think about it from their experiences with it. I have actually been a longtime KDE user, and would be interested to find out what others think about Kubuntu which is the same as Ubuntu, except it uses the KDE desktop environment instead of Gnome. I know that these distributions are Debian based, which to me, looks like it might be a plus, if only for the advantage of better applications packaging (APT vs. RPM).

If you are using Ubuntu or Kubuntu, please let me know what you think of it. While I'm asking, if you have something to share about a different distribution, I'd like to hear about that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 01:14 PM

4,593 posts, read 8,199,855 times
I'm a kubuntu and xubuntu user. Both are good. xubuntu obviously utilizes much less resources.

My linux utilization is manly for network analysis and security tools (nmap, netcat, etc.). I actually run these via VMware fusion on a MacBook Pro. I find it much easier to use these vs the Fink distro which you need for OS X.

And I do think APT is a much better package manager than RPM. RPM sucks IMO. Perhaps I'm just not used to it, or maybe I'm just not good enough... but I find the fact that they can't automatically obtain dependencies a real drag.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:17 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,536,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I'm a kubuntu and xubuntu user. Both are good. xubuntu obviously utilizes much less resources.

My linux utilization is manly for network analysis and security tools (nmap, netcat, etc.). I actually run these via VMware fusion on a MacBook Pro. I find it much easier to use these vs the Fink distro which you need for OS X.

And I do think APT is a much better package manager than RPM. RPM sucks IMO. Perhaps I'm just not used to it, or maybe I'm just not good enough... but I find the fact that they can't automatically obtain dependencies a real drag.
A lot of the newer package managers for RPM can obtain requisite packages and resolve dependencies, but I've always heard that APT was better at doing so. I have tried a couple Debian based distributions, but have found them to be too dependent upon the distribution, meaning that these distributions wanted you to go to their sources to get updates and things. It kind of made getting updates and unsupported packages a pain. How is Ubuntu in this regard?

Old 12-08-2007, 06:48 PM

I've never had an issue.... But I also have a large number of repositories configured in my config file.

The RPM issue was a real pain in the past. My only experience was with Red Hat. A buddy of mine introduced me to FreeBSD. And I loved how it just updated everything automatically. But FreeBSD was more of a server based platform (I'm not exactly a fan of Window maker).

I recently tried Fedora again just to see if things had changed... and guess what... loading VMWare tools bombed because of dependencies (to their defense, Fedora isn't a support platform on VMWare... even though RH enterprise is). In anycase. I've never had an issue with Kubuntu. I personally like KDE over Gnome... But I also strip the hell out of my machines since I'm only using it to run tools... so either one would work I guess.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:34 PM

11,127 posts, read 12,804,701 times
Well I have a spare system that runs Ubuntu and I have no complaints. I had the 64bit version but had problems finding good apps and drivers, so switched back to 32. I suspect that not much longer down the road, a new PC user starting out on Ubuntu would never in their right mind run Win based OS.

If you just need email, office suite, multimedia platform, then by all means, use it. If you are a gamer or the like then don't bother just yet.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:33 PM

783 posts, read 2,370,642 times
kubuntu / xubuntu are the closest you would get to a windows, but I prefer kubuntu because I have the hardware to support it. If less resources go with xubuntu.

Presently use kubuntu

Old 12-10-2007, 01:07 AM

605 posts, read 675,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
xubuntu obviously utilizes much less resources.
I'm finding this out as well.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:02 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,010,641 times
I have a dual boot Ubuntu and Vista. It is good, especially when you need something done and Vista is acting up.

However, I do not think that even Ubuntu is ready for the basic consumers. As an IT guy myself, I had to do a fair bit of research and work, an install packages for a simple task as turning on the Desktop Appearance effects. I am still unable to deal a dual display working.

Overall, however it is good and useable but still not at the point where I easily tell people to download it and use it.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:27 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,946,916 times
Yes, I downloaded and installed Ubuntu a few months ago, played with it for a day or two, then quit using it. Why? Because....the monitor scan rate, refresh rate, was "stuck" on 60hz, causing an annoying flicker. There was NO option to change it to anything else. (no drop-down menu of different available scan rates, etc. Sure, the drop-down menu was there, but the only "option" on it was 60hz!). (This did not happen to me when I used Xandros, Freespire v1, or Suse...no problem setting up to 72hz or so with my monitor). I just couldn't tolerate the screen flicker, so went back to XP. Anyone got any ideas on why I couldn't change this??? Why would such a modern distribution have no optional scan rates to select???

Bud

Old 12-12-2007, 09:46 PM

Interesting. Never seen that... not on Ubuntu at least. Were you running as root via sudo (although they usually ask you to do so if needed)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or