Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:30 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times

Advertisements

Recently I flew from Chicago to Houston on Southwest and I brought two Dell E1705 laptops. One was in my laptop backpack and the other was put into my turn in luggage. Well, when I got to my hotel and fired up the laptop from the luggage, the screen was cracked! I should have listened to my brother's advice not to do this. And now Air Canada was caught having luggage thrwon 20 feet down into a bin. It seem airlines aren't careful with luggage, and in the future I would like to bring a desktop computer by luggage but I fear it will be just destroyed because maybe the package handlers just throw the luggage around?

But the Dell E1705 1920 x 1200 screen was a $65.00 ebay replacement buy. I fixed it myself with the aid of a youtube fix it video.

How about you? Have you ever had any computer equipment destroyed in airline luggage? Like would a hard drive be destroyed in luggage too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
fyi

Quote:
A laptop, even if it is in a laptop bag, does not count as a flyer's carry-on item.
TSA Carry On Rules for Laptop Computers | USA Today

Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
On what planet would it ever seem like a good idea to let the baggage handlers touch something valuable and fragile? Every piece of luggage is clearly treated like it's just filled with clothing - tossed around, squished, and stacked to get it where it needs to go as quickly as possible and packed as tightly as possible. That's obvious if you've ever looked out the window of a plane or terminal and seen them working.

I would be less concerned about hard drives. They're in sturdy metal enclosures and generally designed to withstand some pretty hefty shocks, even if you smack them around while they're spinning.

I wouldn't be as concerned about a desktop either. Again, everything is enclosed in a fairly sturdy enclosure and you don't have some really fragile, poorly protected bit like the screens you find on most laptops. A card or some RAM or something might pop loose, but you just need to check and put everything back together before you turn it on.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:40 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Only thing I put in my luggage is my external drive.

Not in a million years would I put a laptop/fondleslab in my luggage....

Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Yea, no offense Jessie, but... WTF WERE YOU THINKING???

Old 04-23-2014, 07:59 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
In a word....duh.

One of the first pieces of advice we give to a new hire is to NEVER put your laptop into carry on unless the airline requires you to do so. Also, did you take the batteries out? Those aren't supposed to travel in the cargo area.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:09 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I too am wondering why anyone would put a laptop in checked-in luggage/baggage. Even if one has 2 of them both of them should be in one's carry-on items.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:24 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
In a word....duh.

One of the first pieces of advice we give to a new hire is to NEVER put your laptop into carry on unless the airline requires you to do so. Also, did you take the batteries out? Those aren't supposed to travel in the cargo area.
I wouldn't do it even if the airline required it. I'd ship it via some carrier who would know how to pack it properly. The airline won't pay for repairs even if they do refuse to allow you to carry it on.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:36 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, no offense Jessie, but... WTF WERE YOU THINKING???
The laptop in the luggage suitcase was padded all around by clothes.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:17 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
The laptop in the luggage suitcase was padded all around by clothes.
Hard side luggage or soft? I wouldn't put anything delicate or expensive into a soft sided checked bag.

I've never had trouble traveling with a laptop. I usually pack it in a Pelican case with my gun. The gun is just a measure to ensure that the baggage handlers won't be rifling through my stuff. With the gun in the case, the case MUST be locked from the time you check it until you pick it up, and you CAN NOT use one of those TSA locks that the baggage clowns can open. I bring a tiny little pocket gun, and load up the rest of the case with my laptop, video camera, GPS and anything else I want to ensure doesn't get stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers