Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:55 PM

947 posts, read 1,460,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Pruzhany, I'll check into that when I'm making my new computer. If there's something much better and cheap, I'll just buy new parts. This is also the first time I've heard about SSD so I'll do some research on that as well.

RD5050, yes I followed the instructions for the coolant. It still didn't work. I've tried everything you've listed and I can't get to the diagnostic utility because the computer keeps malfunctioning, resetting, and getting worse each time I move anything. It would make sense that I fried the motherboard with my low power supply. I know what to check for next time I buy a graphics card.
A SSD is basically a huge flash drive. A HDD with terrabytes tends to be the same price or cheaper then a 20 gig SSD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:17 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,917,839 times
Quote:
Don in Austin, I hope the motherboard isn't fried. It's more than I'm willing to pay. I'd have to trash the computer.

Mack Knife, but does it matter if the thermal paste isn't sticking? Doesn't that mean it's worn down and ineffective?

Also, not booting windows still doesn't work. It will still shut off on the boot screen.
The only way you'd know if the thermal paste wasn't sticking is if you remove the fan/heatsink from the CPU and then you've broken that seal anyway so it is a self inflicted wound so to speak.

There is no reason, generally, to remove the CPU fan/heatsink unless the CPU fan has failed. It is one of those don't touch, don't break it things.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,662,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
A SSD is basically a huge flash drive. A HDD with terrabytes tends to be the same price or cheaper then a 20 gig SSD.
SSD is used for programs & HDD is used for data. Currently while on vacation in another country, I built my Nephew a gaming system. With the SSD it was at the Win7 screen ready to go in under 10 seconds. Unless one has a hybrid HDD/SDD there is no where over time will a HDD do that with all the updates from MS. You do know why one partitioned HDDs, right?

Old 04-29-2014, 10:26 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,968,163 times
Quote:
Pruzhany, I'll check into that when I'm making my new computer. If there's something much better and cheap, I'll just buy new parts. This is also the first time I've heard about SSD so I'll do some research on that as well.

RD5050, yes I followed the instructions for the coolant. It still didn't work. I've tried everything you've listed and I can't get to the diagnostic utility because the computer keeps malfunctioning, resetting, and getting worse each time I move anything. It would make sense that I fried the motherboard with my low power supply. I know what to check for next time I buy a graphics card.
Perhaps you can see if you can find a cheap "no frills" graphics card on Craigslist or eBay, that doesn't require much power? Then use it to test your system.

You might even post an ad on Craigslist yourself in the computer section for "cheap working graphics card wanted" ... anyone with an old working card they no longer want, offer $10 for it.

Or see if there are any electronic recycle centers near you that sell parts they removed from donated PCs?

Or see if a friend has an old one they no longer use?

Just get the cheapest card (least video memory on board) you can find, that will work in your PCI graphics slot, since this is just for a test, and nothing else.

That way you'll at least know if your motherboard and/or CPU is bad.

I believe spending another $10 makes more sense than trashing a computer which still sells for around $500 - $800 on eBay.

Last edited by RD5050; 04-29-2014 at 10:41 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 02:54 AM

947 posts, read 1,460,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
SSD is used for programs & HDD is used for data. Currently while on vacation in another country, I built my Nephew a gaming system. With the SSD it was at the Win7 screen ready to go in under 10 seconds. Unless one has a hybrid HDD/SDD there is no where over time will a HDD do that with all the updates from MS. You do know why one partitioned HDDs, right?
Ah my comp does windows 7 in 30 seconds on startup with no SSD and no partitioned HDD. It makes no sense to pay 300 hundreds for just 20 seconds on bootup.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:47 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,662,949 times
Quote:
Ah my comp does windows 7 in 30 seconds on startup with no SSD and no partitioned HDD. It makes no sense to pay 300 hundreds for just 20 seconds on bootup.
Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S37A/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

$120 by this link for 240GB and its not simply boot up. Its access and reads. By watching the links I supplied earlier in this thread, I picked up a 240GB for $60 in a 1 day sale. TB HDDs are for data storage. Take a look at your own computer, how much room does just the programs take? Think about nearly any link loads instantaneously.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:22 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,781,765 times
Quote:
Pruzhany, you can't salvage anything? Even the memory cards? I ask this again because I've spent thousands of dollars on this computer. To say that nothing but the harddrive can be salvaged is really depressing.

Wouldn't it be better to buy the replacement motherboard for $100 to try to get the computer working again before I throw everything out?
You probably could partner with a computer tech and say if you fix this and sell it, I'll give you 1/2 of the profit. How long ago did you spend your thousands of dollars. I don't think I can get $100 for a 6 year old XP Dell box that I spend $1000 on. Much of that cost is Acrobat and Microsoft Office.

You could probably put your hard drive in an external enclosure. After reading what someone said about extra voltage to the components, I wouldn't want to use it as my main drive. The memory which you bought is probably non ECC, meaning it is cheap and you would rather pay less upfront than have more expensive memory with more features.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:32 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
What I want to know is what parts should I save when I'm throwing out the computer?
The only thing I have moved to a new computer is drives whether they were hard drives, DVD etc.

You did say this was a new power supply, certainly save that.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:43 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
It's not just boot speeds but affects everything else too that is reading or writing from the drive other than data if you are using additional drive. Application start up for example, click, *poof* just like magic it's loaded. I have all my applications on SSD, "My Documents" is drive D which is two regular drives in RAID1 array.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:22 AM

589 posts, read 693,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The only way you'd know if the thermal paste wasn't sticking is if you remove the fan/heatsink from the CPU and then you've broken that seal anyway so it is a self inflicted wound so to speak.

There is no reason, generally, to remove the CPU fan/heatsink unless the CPU fan has failed. It is one of those don't touch, don't break it things.
Mack Knife, the way the XPS 9100 is set up is that the heatsink is directly under the PSU. You cannot get out the powersupply unless you remove the heatsink. I only moved the heatsink when I started having problems anyway, so it wasn't the cause of the whole problem in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers