Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
What is Sync? Dare I ask? I just go along with what I have and let the rest float over my head. Thanks for explaining Sync. Maybe I'll learn something.
You have a bookmark on computer a. It shows up on computer b. Saved passwords, settings, etc. do the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,430 posts, read 4,256,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Yea, it just uses the normal internal update for FF. All you have to do is restart FF when it's done.
Thanks.

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Did it update without asking you what to do with this or that? I don't run into that problem any more. Used to get it all the time. "Where do you want this"? How would I know?
Yes, update was very simple. No questions. Took a minute or so.

It restarted my browser, then it took me on a quick tour of new features.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
You have a bookmark on computer a. It shows up on computer b. Saved passwords, settings, etc. do the same thing.
Ah! That's why I don't know. Don't have a computer b. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:06 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Just now updated my Mac to FF29. Not sure I like the "transparent" tabs. If you could not tell before which one was "active", this is not going to help, IMO. Also didn't need the new Menu button. Still have the same pulldowns in the OS toolbar. Maybe it's for those who can only use icons ?

Otherwise seems slightly quicker loading pages. Don't use Sync.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:17 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I use lastpass and xmarks to sync.. don't want an individual account for every browser, each account not compatible with other accounts... xmarks I can sync across all browsers.

You can also try out Opera 20.. it's basically a chrome offshoot now and will accept all chrome extensions (not apps) along with the newer opera extensions. I have all the same extensions (lastpass, xmarks) installed on Opera 20.. almost like a chrome clone.

I jump back and forth between Chrome and Firefox.. I find myself using Chrome more lately.. why? Lastpass is sometimes buggy with firefox, but works fine with Chrome. No other reason really... I like the new Firefox UI, but I can see how some might not, since it basically looks like Chrome now. They are all copying Chrome.. and they are all focusing on Mobile, since that's where the money is... you can't easily block ads on windows phone or android, and many people compress pages so save data on their data plan, which breaks ad blocking.. mobile is where the money is, mobile is where all these browsers are targeting.. similar to game developers targeting consoles first because it's harder to pirate with them.

The future is all these OS and software makers like Windows, Android, etc. giving the software away for free while locking it down so you can't block ads.. so you have your content full of popups, video commercials, and all this spam that doesn't even make you buy the products that are advertised, but somehow keep the whole internet economy rolling along... I wouldn't be surprised if they try to ban or eliminate ad blocking programs in all browsers in the next couple years. As long as you can use a HOSTS file though, they'll never truly accomplish their goal.. push comes to shove ad blocking can be done at the router level if need be...

Old 04-30-2014, 09:18 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,493 times
I've been using Firefox 29 (the new Firefox) since it was in beta mode, and have grown to like it. IMO, the rounded tabs look great. They are nicely integrated into the design. I've tweaked some things to my liking, and have gotten used to other things. All & all, this new Firefox is okay by me.

There is an excellent extension called Classic Theme Restorer that can adjust the new UI to your preference. It has lots of options. You can simply move things around, or even restore the previous Firefox appearance if desired.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...themerestorer/

Old 04-30-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
I've been using Firefox 29 (the new Firefox) since it was in beta mode, and have grown to like it. IMO, the rounded tabs look great. They are nicely integrated into the design. I've tweaked some things to my liking, and have gotten used to other things. All & all, this new Firefox is okay by me.

There is an excellent extension called Classic Theme Restorer that can adjust the new UI to your preference. It has lots of options. You can simply move things around, or even restore the previous Firefox appearance if desired.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...themerestorer/
Thanks. It is in and, I suppose, working. So far, I do not see any difference but that may be because I do not go to their home page. When I click on their shortcut icon, the page has nothing on it except the Search frame. How it got set up that way, I've no idea but it works. So, I don't fool with it.

Maybe I should try to find the full home page just for fun? I have seen it in the past but, as I said, I never seem to have reason to go there.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:46 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
One thing I noticed right away, the new Firefox does not handle HD video well at all. I tried streaming an HD video and it was constantly freezing and choppy. Chrome has trouble with HD video too. When I play the same video with IE 11 it works just fine.

Also, I have the Ad Block extension installed but it does not seem to be blocking most of the ads.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:49 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Updated FF (Mac) no issues and 1080p videos are flawless...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers