Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:07 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I believe it was a Pentium 3 933 or such, I would definetly consider retiring it
I have to agree: a barebones machine today would be about $400 for something OK to live with and upgradeable as needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 08:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I believe it was a Pentium 3 933 or such, I would definetly consider retiring it
I will ask the OP a question I ask of quite a few clients: Except for the speed, which might be helped by adding RAM, does this computer satisfy your needs?

If the answer is yes then you probably only need the RAM.

If the answer is ummmmm or no get a new PC...

Old 12-16-2007, 09:57 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Guys, I have to say I appreciate all the responses. This has been the most help I received on this issue by far.

I totally understand I could get a new updated computer for aro $400, however I'm not yet for a couple of reasons...

1. I have a dell laptop for work, however my wife needed a computer to work w/the kids when they get home from school. This old computer was given to me from a relative. I'm not going to turn it down because its old. It works fine for the applications I need. I can email fine. Its just a tad slow obv. surfing the web.

2. I would love to go out and purchase a brand spanky new computer, however our funds are tight and I did some research and figured this might be a happy medium.

So, don't get me wrong everyone, I sincerely appreciate all the help, I really do. But please try to understand where I was coming from, that's all.

thanks again!

Old 12-17-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Guys, I have to say I appreciate all the responses. This has been the most help I received on this issue by far.

I totally understand I could get a new updated computer for aro $400, however I'm not yet for a couple of reasons...

1. I have a dell laptop for work, however my wife needed a computer to work w/the kids when they get home from school. This old computer was given to me from a relative. I'm not going to turn it down because its old. It works fine for the applications I need. I can email fine. Its just a tad slow obv. surfing the web.

2. I would love to go out and purchase a brand spanky new computer, however our funds are tight and I did some research and figured this might be a happy medium.

So, don't get me wrong everyone, I sincerely appreciate all the help, I really do. But please try to understand where I was coming from, that's all.

thanks again!
The answer to my previous question is yes.

You only need the RAM.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:16 PM

606 posts, read 699,194 times
RAM is really cheap now.You can buy a 1 G RAM

Old 12-18-2007, 05:12 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
RAM is really cheap now.You can buy a 1 G RAM
Yeah he could, but it would be completely useless to him, see my previous posts.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:52 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Bummer. He must have one old motherboard

What is especially galling is DDR series RAM below 512K strips is getting hard (and expensive) to find. And the old SIMM RAM's, good luck.

The 1 Gig strips are a dime a dozen these days.
yeah but old motherboads = old ram, and old ram is cheap.. $10 or so.. Worth upgrading if the pc is still working, even if its for a spare pc.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:55 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Hello everyone, looking for some opinions on whether its worth it to add memory (RAM) to my computer to make it "run" faster. Here's what I have..

HP Pavilion 7850
933 MHz
128MB SDRAM Memory
40GB Hard drive
CD-ROM
CD-RW

I've received conflicting opinions on this. Some people told me to add the max and I'll notice a big difference, while others have said it really won't make any difference. The computer is pretty ancient. I have Roadrunner high speed internet however its definitely not running as fast as my computer at work. I've done a disk defrag, disk maintenance. I've cleaned up cookies, compressed files and it only made a slight differrence IMO. I usually only use the computer to surf w/my son, play online poker, & download songs for my wife's IPOD. I went to best buy (or circuit city) and the guy there told me they have (geek squad?) who could install for a fee. I also have a brother in law who says he could install the memory....I don't want to pay an arm and a leg and just want the computer to be faster.....

Any suggestions??

thanks
I havent seen anyone tell you to do this yet, if they did, I apologize for replicating it.

When your pc is running, go to the start button, then run, then manually key in "taskmgr"

Under the performance tab, look for physical Memory, and see the total, and whats available. If available is low, then adding memory will help. If there is memory available then adding ram will not help. (most likely it will help out a lot)

Old 12-23-2007, 10:39 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I havent seen anyone tell you to do this yet, if they did, I apologize for replicating it.

When your pc is running, go to the start button, then run, then manually key in "taskmgr"

Under the performance tab, look for physical Memory, and see the total, and whats available. If available is low, then adding memory will help. If there is memory available then adding ram will not help. (most likely it will help out a lot)
Ok, I tried that.....TOTAL physical memory shows total @ a little above 260K. The AVAILABLE physical ranges anywhere from 45K-65K.....

So, I'm assuming it would help?

thanks

Old 12-23-2007, 11:48 AM

Yes, it will. Keep in mind that the numbers you see are being generated while your PC is "idling". As soon as you run a program or two those numbers change.

One of the best indicators of needing RAM is seeing the hard drive light on solid more often than not. Assuming your PC has one, that is. If not you can, usually, hear one when it's accessing data, and that is what it does when the RAM runs out and the drive is used in place of RAM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers