U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 12:29 PM

1,001 posts, read 2,841,635 times

Advertisements

Tek - I'll try that when I have some time later today.

It seems as though I can just drag it all to Word in around an hour, maybe less. If I can run a Macro and then import it to Excel that would be amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 12:32 PM

6,290 posts, read 21,086,864 times
By the way, I would find out exactly how my boss wanted to use this before going too far. For example, does she want to use it to mail to particular states? If so, then you would probably need a column just for the state name in the address. Or certain zip code? Then the zip would need it's own column (I think).

I've never used Excel for a mailing database, so I'm not sure myself what you might need.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Tek - I'll try that when I have some time later today.

It seems as though I can just drag it all to Word in around an hour, maybe less. If I can run a Macro and then import it to Excel that would be amazing.
There's no problem importing it. Do a trial run; do a few and then open an Excel file and import the txt file from Data on the toolbar.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
By the way, I would find out exactly how my boss wanted to use this before going too far. For example, does she want to use it to mail to particular states? If so, then you would probably need a column just for the state name in the address. Or certain zip code? Then the zip would need it's own column (I think).

I've never used Excel for a mailing database, so I'm not sure myself what you might need.

Grrr.......

She gave me a directory with a bunch of names (contacts she knew) circled. She wanted them on an electronic list. I tried contacting the directory to ask if they have any electronic lists, and they don't, but they do have a online search directory that I can enter a last name and pull the info from. Problem is I have to enter each individual last name.

I started doing that, and then just dragging it all to a word document in the same format it was in online. She didn't think that would work, and thought that though it would take longer to input into Excel, it would be easier to sort and later make mass mailings and envelope labels for, so do that. That's all she said. And now it's the weekend.

She knows what she wants, but I don't think she knows what it takes to do it. Like most bosses.

All of the states should be the same, but the cities and zips will differ. Also there is some extraneous info that comes along with the online data, but I think I should be able to filter that easy enough in a spreadsheet.

Also, I have to hyperlink the website and email address, but again, that shouldn't be too hard.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:11 PM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
I went back to your original post and if I was doing this I would not use Excel. Mail merge in Word (What version are you using?) is a bit confusing at times, but it is extremely powerful, especially for mailings.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I went back to your original post and if I was doing this I would not use Excel. Mail merge in Word (What version are you using?) is a bit confusing at times, but it is extremely powerful, especially for mailings.
Yeah, but if Anchorless's boss is like some bosses . . . good luck getting her to change her mind.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'm using '03.

About the macro stuff - I'm getting close, but it's spitting out different results for different entries. I'm trying to get it so it creates them all similarly.

However, if you have an idea on how to format this stuff on Word so that I'm able to do mass mailings/mail merge/labels, etc., I'm all ears.

And I really appreciate it.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:15 PM

Okay, I got it (I think).

I'm going to copy/paste the list to word. I've set up a macro that seems to work, and I've had no problems running the macro on the test I've set up, saving as a text file, and importing to Excel. That shouldn't take long at all, and that way I have both versions (Word and Excel) in case they have a preference.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 12-15-2007, 02:33 PM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
I'm using '03.

About the macro stuff - I'm getting close, but it's spitting out different results for different entries. I'm trying to get it so it creates them all similarly.

However, if you have an idea on how to format this stuff on Word so that I'm able to do mass mailings/mail merge/labels, etc., I'm all ears.

And I really appreciate it.
Normal. There's always something you have to wrestle with to get it to work.

It's been a while. I'll do some snooping for merge/mailing.

In 2003 you start the merge by going to Tools/Letters and Mailings/Mail Merge

This opens a window to the right that takes you through the process.

I recommend reading this. It's from Microsoft so it's not as clear as you might want, but it does explain how to do things.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294688

I like this explanation. Note the paragraph after the table describing using Word a a data source.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...DataSource.htm

Old 12-15-2007, 02:51 PM

Good luck with it.

There's probably a way to automate this even further with a simple program, but if you only have 300 to do ("Only 300?") then this shouldn't take you too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers