Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:19 PM

53 posts, read 179,021 times

Advertisements

I have a wireless laptop and two other personal computers. I use hi speed netzero. My question is ,can I use netzero dsl to connect all three computers for internet and e-mail. Also will this allow me to use the netzero dsl for my laptop away from home since it is wireless? As you can see I know very little about how things work.

Thanks.
Any advice would be appreciated:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 08:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
1. Yes. If you have a router with wireless built in and your laptop has wireless you can. The router will allow you to add more than one wired connection and the wireless as well.

2. Not really. Away from home you will use whatever is available at your current location. Places like Starbucks, Panera Bread, libraries, some Interstate rest areas, airports, etc have wireless available. It will usually cost something, but not always. Some hotel chains make it available free of charge.

You can also get a PC Card from cell phone providers that will plug into the laptop and connect through cell towers. This will give you Internet through the laptop anywhere your cell phone works.

Google network routers or use it as a search term at Best Buy, Newegg, etc.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:49 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Just to add for a bit more understanding, your wireless network you set up at home is good for roughly 300 feet give or take, it is not for away from home access.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:42 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,082,641 times
Default Computer help..

One of my kids broke the tip of the headphones off inside the jack.(The place you plug it into.) It's a small piece way up in there. I don't know how, or if we can remove it out of there.
The computer thinks the headphones are still plugged in. So, we can't get regular sound out of the speakers or monitor anymore.
Any suggestion on how to remove it?
Can I just leave it in there and go somewhere and turn off the use of the headphones to get sound back?

Old 12-26-2007, 01:56 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
One of my kids broke the tip of the headphones off inside the jack.(The place you plug it into.) It's a small piece way up in there. I don't know how, or if we can remove it out of there.
The computer thinks the headphones are still plugged in. So, we can't get regular sound out of the speakers or monitor anymore.
Can I just leave it in there and go somewhere and turn off the use of the headphones to get sound back?
Rather than hijacking someone elses thread you should create a new one. You cannot leave it in and get audio out of the speakers, it is a hardware connection, it cannot be modified by software. You need to remove the broken piece, you may need to enlist a local computer shop as it may need to be disassembled to get it out.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:56 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,391 times
The PC card for wireless access is usually fairly expensive as to the per month fees, so be cautious and find all the related costs.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:01 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,391 times
Default headphone jack broken

Quote:
If we are talking a laptop, or directly to the computer, then take it to a good repair shop. An electronics or tv repair shop could also possibly fix it.
If your talking external speakers or ones built into the monitor then unplug the speakers on the back of the computer and hook up different ones. Probably cheaper than repair costs.

Speaker jacks are soldered to the board or connector, and have to be unsoldered to remove broken parts and may have to be replaced.

If the jack was on the front of the computer there is a possibility you MAY be able to disconnect the wires to the jack on the motherboard and jumper them properly (see motherboard manual). This will bypass the front headphone jack and should let the speakers plugged into the back work.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
If we are talking a laptop, or directly to the computer, then take it to a good repair shop. An electronics or tv repair shop could also possibly fix it.
If your talking external speakers or ones built into the monitor then unplug the speakers on the back of the computer and hook up different ones. Probably cheaper than repair costs.

Speaker jacks are soldered to the board or connector, and have to be unsoldered to remove broken parts and may have to be replaced.

If the jack was on the front of the computer there is a possibility you MAY be able to disconnect the wires to the jack on the motherboard and jumper them properly (see motherboard manual). This will bypass the front headphone jack and should let the speakers plugged into the back work.
I have a regular computer and the jack is on the front.
Thank you Arcticthaw.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Quote:
Small stick and chewing gum or something else sticky?

And, yeah, you should never hijack someone else's thread. Bad manners.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I removed the piece from the jack! This is what I used.......
Sorry, if I stepped on some toes here. I was just trying to get some computer help......... in a computer help thread.
OK, problem solved. I'm going back to my side of the forum now.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers