Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 01:06 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,388,053 times

Advertisements

The only 'social media' I embrace is the good ol' message board.. such as this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:40 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Tons of respect, to our mod Elnina. Luv ya' girl, but... much of this is simply not true or blown a bit out of proportion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Extremely invasive. I blocked it from my phone, and restricted as much as I could on the computer.
First of all, if you are this anti-Google, don't use Gmail or Google. Period. I think you are using the term "Google+" when you mean to be just saying "Google". Google+ should in no way need to be "restricted" on your computer.

Quote:
The problem is Google+ is always in your face, never letting you forget even for a moment that they exists, and trying to force every single website on the Internet into maintaining its own Google+ community.
How is Google trying to FORCE every website to have a G+ community?

Quote:
Many options are MANDATORY and it's getting really hard to avoid them.
Options for what? It is beyond easy to de-Googlfy your life. Really it is. Yea, Google wants you to use your REAL NAME when you review products in the Play Store AND tie that to your G+ page, but you don't have to. When that change was implemented I just said "OK. ********* Google. You claim you are doing this so reviewers are honest (BS there)". So I don't review apps anymore. I also don't post Comments on YouTube. Never did. But my old "nickname account" on YouTube still works. I wasn't forced to stop using it. Asked to, yes, but not forced. Not yet anyway.
I agree with you that Google HAS made some changes to try and force people top use Google+ but you are making it sound MUCH worse then it really is.

Quote:
Millions of people are being coerced, through threat of withholding essential utilities (email, work docs, etc.), to consolidate their online identities,
Not true. You can continue using Gmail without tying anything to your Google+ page. Work docs? What work docs? If you are using Google Apps for business then you probably SHOULD be using your real name. But you STILL don't have to.

Quote:
tie it to real life and real names, reveal friends and family connections,
I agree they WANT you to do this but are not FORCING it. Yea, I got asked ONCE "can we scan your contacts"? No. Never asked again.

Quote:
have communications scanned,
IF and ONLY IF you use Gmail. And they have done this since the beginning of Gmail. Switch to Yahoo. O wait.... Switch to Microsoft. O wait. Switch to AOL. O wait. Mmmmmm... Some cable ISP's don't scan your email. There ya go.

Quote:
be put in advertisements,
IF you have a Google+ page and IF you +1 pages then YOUR FRIENDS and ONLY YOUR FRIENDS will see that you +1'ed a particular product or page and it may look like YOU are being used in an ad.

Quote:
provide phone numbers
FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION. Why do people STILL not understand why Google, Facebook, Bing etc want your phone number? It's not to call you for sales calls. It is to PROTECT YOUR ACCOUNT. If I am in Mexico and login to Facebook, it will send a TXT to my phone to verify that it is really me trying to login. AGAIN THIS IS FOR MY OWN PROTECTION.

Quote:
and credit cards numbers,
If you want to buy things from the Play Store. Or use the Google Wallet app. If you want neither of these, then Google does NOT, repeat NOT hound you for your Credit Card info. Fact.

Bottom line: it is EASY to live an "online life" free of Google.

Personally I don't care what some giant conglomerate knows about me. How is that REALLY affecting my day to day life in a negative way? I will live my life, love my wife, raise my beautiful son and die someday. And if Google knows I buy camping gear and kid toys from Amazon, and where I work and where I live and that I hang out on C-D? So what? I gladly give Google much of this info.
When I wake up in the morning I glance at my phone "30 minutes to work with traffic". I walk up to a bus stop and my phone just pops up a message when I look at it "The next bus will arrive in 15 minutes". How amazing to live in a world where my phone can tell me that!
This is the price I have to pay to be "spied on"? I will pay it gladly.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:53 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
OP wanted an opinion - he got an opinion. You and I can have different views, and that's OK too

Old 07-13-2014, 01:32 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
I've become quite into this and am finding it to be a very interesting social media without the problems of Facebook or Twitter.

Anyone else here use it?

What are your opinions?
I use it mostly for sharing photos. Which is easy to do on a phone. The picture editing tools are pretty cool.
It's ok. It's nice having everything linked up. I follow some people/websites on Google+.

I wouldn't call it evasive, but that just me.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:46 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
I am on google+ but don't use it much, the reason for pushing people to use their real names on you tube is to cut down on the trolling in the comment sections, I have seen racist comments including the "N" word which is totally uncalled for.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I am on google+ but don't use it much, the reason for pushing people to use their real names on you tube is to cut down on the trolling in the comment sections, I have seen racist comments including the "N" word which is totally uncalled for.
YouTube had one of the worst comment sections on the entire Internet. I imagine management at Google was downright ashamed of some of the vile and nonsensical stuff posted on there. Forcing commenters to be accountable by posting their name with their comments was a badly-needed step in the right direction.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:21 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
YouTube had one of the worst comment sections on the entire Internet. I imagine management at Google was downright ashamed of some of the vile and nonsensical stuff posted on there. Forcing commenters to be accountable by posting their name with their comments was a badly-needed step in the right direction.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,031 times
I don't like that Google always tries to get me to make a + profile. Pretty sure most people are using facebook so there's not much benefit in me using Google+ anyway. I also don't like that Google tries to get me to use my real name every time I log onto Youtube. Other than that, I like it just fine.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I actually prefer Google+ to Facebook.
3 main reasons:
G+ doesn't pick and choose what it thinks you should see. It shows everything to you that your friends post. Why FB does not do this astounds me.

It's WAY prettier.

No games.

But until G+ starts running crap like Mafia Wars and Farmville, the FB sheep will continue to avoid it.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:48 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
^ same here. i refuse to use farcebook, and G+ is handy for sharing pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers