Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 10:10 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been noticing that all web pages load quite slowly in Firefox and the scrolling feature is sluggish (regardless if I use the scroll bar on the mouse or click on the side bar on the page and try to scroll that way). I have no idea what could be causing this.

I did a google search and found this page describing a process to make pages load faster in FF - just curious if anyone here has used this, thinks its worth doing - or maybe has other ideas for me.

How to Make Firefox Load Pages Faster: 8 Steps - wikiHow

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 03:26 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Lately I've been noticing that all web pages load quite slowly in Firefox and the scrolling feature is sluggish (regardless if I use the scroll bar on the mouse or click on the side bar on the page and try to scroll that way). I have no idea what could be causing this.

I did a google search and found this page describing a process to make pages load faster in FF - just curious if anyone here has used this, thinks its worth doing - or maybe has other ideas for me.

How to Make Firefox Load Pages Faster: 8 Steps - wikiHow

thanks!
The newer Firefox versions crawl....at least on my computer and it sounds like on yours as well. I solved the problem by going back to version 13.0.1. Fast and smooth like it always used to be.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The newer Firefox versions crawl....at least on my computer and it sounds like on yours as well. I solved the problem by going back to version 13.0.1. Fast and smooth like it always used to be.
Interesting... and makes sense... how do I go back to an earlier version?

Old 07-04-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Interesting... and makes sense... how do I go back to an earlier version?
Download version 13.0.1 here....click the w32 folder for windows, then en-US, then Firefox Setup 13.0.1.exe
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla....leases/13.0.1/

Uninstall your current version (which one are you using btw?), then install 13.0.1

Old 07-05-2014, 10:34 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
That can't be it. Firefox is as fast as ever on my system. I have the latest version. There has to be another reason for that to happen to them.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Does this happen all the time or just occasionally, for example if you rebooted your computer and opened up FF do the pages load slow then?

Is this an XP machine with 1GB of RAM or less?

Old 07-05-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Does this happen all the time or just occasionally, for example if you rebooted your computer and opened up FF do the pages load slow then?

Is this an XP machine with 1GB of RAM or less?
It seems to be happening most of the time - 80% of the time or more. I am pretty sure it happens even after I reboot the computer.

Its a Lenovo laptop purchased in 2012 with Windows 7 on it.

Like I said, I've really been noticing it the past few weeks/month... It may have started after a Firefox update, but I can't remember exactly. I do know that one day when I turned my computer on, it told me that a new version of Firefox had been installed.

Regardless, its annoying... and I wish I could figure out what is causing it.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
It seems to be happening most of the time - 80% of the time or more. I am pretty sure it happens even after I reboot the computer.

Its a Lenovo laptop purchased in 2012 with Windows 7 on it.

Like I said, I've really been noticing it the past few weeks/month... It may have started after a Firefox update, but I can't remember exactly. I do know that one day when I turned my computer on, it told me that a new version of Firefox had been installed.

Regardless, its annoying... and I wish I could figure out what is causing it.
As I said, it is the recent versions that are causing it. More specifically, major problems started with version 27 and remained in 28. After my experience with those two, and time I wasted on them, I won't "upgrade" again without sound reason to believe Mozilla is back on the right track.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/991025

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/985969

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1002074

This is well known and there is lots more info on the net on this topic, along with a myriad of suggested fixes and hoops to jump through in an attempt to solve the problem....most of which the average user doesn't understand and would most likely be a waste of their time even if they did.

The solution is simple....go back to a version that works for you. I tried many others from 13 to 26 and finally decided to keep 13 as the best combo of features and performance for me. No reason to continue with the frustration.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
As I said, it is the recent versions that are causing it. More specifically, major problems started with version 27 and remained in 28. After my experience with those two, and time I wasted on them, I won't "upgrade" again without sound reason to believe Mozilla is back on the right track.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/991025

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/985969

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1002074

This is well known and there is lots more info on the net on this topic, along with a myriad of suggested fixes and hoops to jump through in an attempt to solve the problem....most of which the average user doesn't understand and would most likely be a waste of their time even if they did.

The solution is simple....go back to a version that works for you. I tried many others from 13 to 26 and finally decided to keep 13 as the best combo of features and performance for me. No reason to continue with the frustration.
I am going to try your suggestion. I remember doing something like this once before- Firefox kept crashing over and over, and after searching high and low and reading about the problem, I decided to go back to an earlier version, and it worked.

It seems like FF automatically switches itself to new versions- is there any way to set it so it won't do that?

Also, do I need to save all my bookmarks before I switch, or will they convert over- also saved passwords ?

thanks!

Old 07-05-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I am going to try your suggestion. I remember doing something like this once before- Firefox kept crashing over and over, and after searching high and low and reading about the problem, I decided to go back to an earlier version, and it worked.

It seems like FF automatically switches itself to new versions- is there any way to set it so it won't do that?

Also, do I need to save all my bookmarks before I switch, or will they convert over- also saved passwords ?

thanks!
I can't speak to all versions, but I think they all have an option to never check for updates - which is what you want to select. In version 13, click on tools, then options, advanced, update tab, and then click never check for updates. But something else you need to know is that the more recent versions will automatically update if you merely go into help and then select "about Firefox" to check your version number. Version 13.0.1 does not do that, and that is one of the reasons I stayed with it.

As I recall, when you uninstall you are given an option to save bookmarks - I don't remember about passwords because I would never save those anyway. But you'll see when you do it.

Good luck and let me know how it works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers