Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,013,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Let's say then that someone has purchased a license for the operating system. I believe that they then should be able to install it on a PC if they so choose.

Apple doesn't allow this and it's a shame too because I feel that they could get a ton more penetration if they allow installation on any custom PC.
Sure they do. When my startup negotiated the licensing terms with Apple (and Windows), we negotiated terms that allow us to run the license on any hardware for development purposes. The license terms can be anything you and the vendor agree to. If you want to use it on your own hardware, don't purchase a retail license. Call them and negotiate your terms.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:00 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,317,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Sure they do. When my startup negotiated the licensing terms with Apple (and Windows), we negotiated terms that allow us to run the license on any hardware for development purposes. The license terms can be anything you and the vendor agree to. If you want to use it on your own hardware, don't purchase a retail license. Call them and negotiate your terms.
Doesn't seem to be something that would be very beneficial for those of us in the consumer world. So you can manage to get them to allow you to install for "developmental" purposes. Not quite what I had in mind.

PS: Yes they are overpriced :-)

Old 08-24-2014, 05:02 PM

522 posts, read 717,412 times
Quote:
not much negotiating is needed to achieve that. it is called enteprise version
One key, fits all.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:07 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Seems like the Apple or Mac (whatever you want to call it) has "special" hardware & software and you just use anything, only "their products". I don't want or have an I-Phone, and seems like everything would be linked together somehow in their world (as someone told me tonight).
Or, you could go to the store, pick out whatever printer/keyboard/mouse/smartphone you want, and go about using it.

Some people are perpetually trapped in the past, seemingly unaware that the world has changed somewhat since the early 1990s.

It is true that if you have say, an iPhone and a mac, you can message someone on your phone then pick up the conversation on your computer when you can get home. With Yosemite and iOS 8, you'll be able to hand off calls as well. But there's no rule that says you have to do that. You could also decide to get an Android phone or whatever.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:52 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,939,640 times
Apple products are too proprietary, I would never buy an Apple anything.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:20 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,608,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Apple products are too proprietary, I would never buy an Apple anything.
In what way?

Old 08-24-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
One key, fits all.
Not for OSX.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:28 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,770,267 times
Quote:
One key, fits all.
Talks about confusing. An enterprise could have a volume Enterprise Agreement/Open license or Select Plus agreement to use Professional or Enterprise. Select Plus is getting retired for "Microsoft Product and Service Agreement. Licensing can get complicated.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:19 AM

522 posts, read 717,412 times
Quote:
Not for OSX.
that's because OSX is not built to be used in that way.
Yosemite is.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
that's because OSX is not built to be used in that way.
Yosemite is.
I was not aware that Apple lets you run Yosemite on non-Apple hardware. That's a legitimate way for people to run hackintoshes.

A beta version of the OS does not work for our use-case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers