U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 09:50 AM

4,255 posts, read 8,011,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiU08 View Post
I'm sorry, I should have included that for you. The username and passowrd should both be "admin".

The security key is not actually to access the internet, but rather to access the router. The above username and password allow you to enter the setup wizard. Once in, you can set a key (or have one auto-assigned) that will allow only your laptop (or anyone you share the key with) to access the internet through your router. This keeps others from leeching off of the connection you are paying for.
Now I remember trying to access an unknown network from my house and it asked me for password. Could that network have been a neighbor's like you said? Anyway, I went through the site using the password you provided and I changed to something else. Is that all I need to do? When people in my house access the internet, will they be required to enter this password? Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 11:22 AM

357 posts, read 821,894 times
They won't be required to enter the password you changed for the router log-in. Of you set up your router security, they'll have a password to enter. If your network is protected, when you scan for networks, yours will say "Security-Enabled Network" next to it, and you will be prompted for a 'network key' when you try to connect. If not, that setting still needs to be modified in the router.

Here is a list of options, and how to enable them.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:34 PM

I just screwed up big time. I tried to enable WEP and entered a password. Now I have no internet connection. I did this on a laptop in the house. Should I have done this on the main computer on which the router is connected to? I will try to reset it.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:36 PM

Now I can't even access that router link. It said the web-server refused the connection. HELP!!!

Old 12-26-2007, 03:02 PM

1,677 posts, read 5,904,396 times
Retype in the router address. 192.168.1.1
hit enter, then type in the new password. Did you hit apply when changing you password the first time? if not try your old password.

If all else fails and your still locked out you can press and hold the reset button on the back of the router. this will reset to factory defaults and you will loose all changed data.
A tip of a pen works well on the button.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:51 PM

278 posts, read 838,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiU08 View Post
I would recommend picking up a NETGEAR Wireless Router. They are generally the most user-friendly if you have never set up a wireless network before. It will give you a step-by-step tutorial via its Network Setup Wizard.
We installed a NETGEAR this weekend. Works wonderfully! They also have a great web page with any trouble shooting questions. We were running 2 computers and a PS3 (online games) off of a router with wires EVERYWHERE. This is so much cleaner and nicer.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Retype in the router address. 192.168.1.1
hit enter, then type in the new password. Did you hit apply when changing you password the first time? if not try your old password.

If all else fails and your still locked out you can press and hold the reset button on the back of the router. this will reset to factory defaults and you will loose all changed data.
A tip of a pen works well on the button.
I used the reset button. Wireless access for my desktop is now working again. My laptop, however, is still not working. The error message keeps saying "The settings on this computer do not meet the requirement of the router." or something like that. What I need to do now is to delete these settings from my laptop. Does anyone know where these settings are kept? Thanks a lot. I wish I could give all of you more rep points.

I am super glad I dual boot with Vista and XP. I am able to access the internet through XP because it was only under Vista that I messed around with the router's settings.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:51 AM

I don't know vista but maybe we can muddle through this unless someone else helps.

1. Do you have wireless security enabled on the router. That is WEP or WPA? If yes turn it off temporarily.
2. restart you laptop. Do you now have access? If yes then the security settings were not identical between the two. Need same ssid, keyword for encryption and encrytption type and strength(40, or 128 bit)

3. try going to your network connections, look for the wireless connection. click on properties to see what you may of changed. You may have to have it rescan for an available wireless connection. Select yours and see if you connect.

4. If all else fails did you read the instructions?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 PM

Sorry to bring up this old thread again, but how do I setup a password so that only the people who know the password can access the internet? Thank you.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:23 AM

I would suggest going to the linksys site and click on support. find your wireles router model and either yours the FAQ about adding security or download the users guide and follow its instructions. This will be fastest and you will have a reference to refer to in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or