Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 02:19 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times

Advertisements

I have DSL for my main computer. How do I add wireless access so I can connect my laptop and my other computer. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 05:27 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
Well you need a wireless router for starters.

Then make sure the laptop has either a wireless card or built in wireless connectivity (most new laptops have this).

Run the DSL into your wireless router and install the software for the router on the laptop.

If you don't have a wireless card for your desktop, you can just run an cable from the computer into an open port on the wireless router.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:04 PM

357 posts, read 891,086 times
I would recommend picking up a NETGEAR Wireless Router. They are generally the most user-friendly if you have never set up a wireless network before. It will give you a step-by-step tutorial via its Network Setup Wizard.

All of the routers on the market right now are nearly identical. Make sure you get one with 802.11g capability (it will say either 802.11a/b/g or 802.11g, or Wireless-G on the box).

If you will be staying within your house to use the network, my personal recommendation is this router (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5507043&productCategoryId=abcat0 503002&type=product&tab=1&id=1051826245223 - broken link) (a good one for the price).

Best of luck! If you have any issues, please let us know and we'll help you work through them!!

Old 12-24-2007, 01:46 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
If you already have a router w/ Firwall capabilities, you'll only need to get a WiFi access point (AP). I think these may be a bit cheaper too. I have a Linksys/Cisco one that I use instead of the one on my router just to have more coverage (my router is in the basement, the signal is much better with an AP in the mudroom). This obviously works better if your house if wired.

In any case, connect the AP to a wired connection. Then the laptop will connect to your network wirelessly via the AP. If you get a router with wireless built in, it'll work the same way.

A few things - change the admin password, turn off SSID, and enable WPA2 PSK (pre shared key) - some just use the terms personal or enterprise, use personal. The key you select should be complex (64 characters alphanumerical with special characters).

Most access points still allow WEP, this is useless. Tools like kismet and airsnort can break that given enough packets. And while WPA2 is currently the standard for wireless encryption, its ultimately based on the key you use. If you a simple key - i.e. "myaccesspoint" - that will actually be easier to break than WEP.

Also, if the AP you get has MAC filtering, use it. This will only allow computers that are in your allow list to access your wireless network.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:50 PM

Thank you, folks. I bought a Linksys router at Fry's for $50. It's one of the cheaper ones without the security button on the back. I followed the instructions and started from the installation CD. The software did not install because it said linksys routers work with other linksys products only or something like that. The router, however, works just fine. I have wireless access now. The access is both local and internet. What does that mean anyway? I don't even know if this home network is secured or not. Does it even matter? Thanks again.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The access is both local and internet. What does that mean anyway?
This deals with the connection being made to connect you to the outside world. Your local access refers to your Local Area Network (the connection between your computer and the other computers physically connected to it. Even if you disconnected the router from the internet, you would be able to "network" with the other computers (if any) physically connected to your router. The internet access refers to your network's link to the internet. This means that you can not only share data with the computers on your Local Area Network, but also with other networks/computers all over the world via the internet.

Quote:
I don't even know if this home network is secured or not. Does it even matter?

If you did not have to enter a key or password to connect to your wireless router, then it is not secure. It should tell you how to set up a secure connection in your user's manual, but for a Linksys, I believe you will navigate to http://192.168.1.1/ (broken link) in your browser window, and the Setup Wizard will guide you through the process.

FYI - http://192.168.1.1/ (broken link) is the IP address of your router, so when you are typing that in, you are simply accessing the computer that controls your router.

Some of those Wikipedia links are very helpful - I would suggest scanning through them. Once you learn some of the basic lingo, it's pretty easy to become a networking whiz !

Old 12-25-2007, 09:41 PM

No, I am not required to enter any password to use the internet. I guess my network is not secured then. But I am not required to enter any password to use the public library access either. The router link you provided required me to enter a password which I don't have. It's a little confusing.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
No, I am not required to enter any password to use the internet. I guess my network is not secured then. But I am not required to enter any password to use the public library access either. The router link you provided required me to enter a password which I don't have. It's a little confusing.

I'm sorry, I should have included that for you. The username and passowrd should both be "admin".

The security key is not actually to access the internet, but rather to access the router. The above username and password allow you to enter the setup wizard. Once in, you can set a key (or have one auto-assigned) that will allow only your laptop (or anyone you share the key with) to access the internet through your router. This keeps others from leeching off of the connection you are paying for.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:51 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,176 times
Your linksys router should of come with a CD. Look on the CD for a Users guide. It will help explain most of your questions.

If the CD doesn't have it or you didn't get a Cd then go to linksys website and click on support. enter the model# of your router (wrt54) then look for the user guide under manuals.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:32 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiU08 View Post
I'm sorry, I should have included that for you. The username and passowrd should both be "admin".

The security key is not actually to access the internet, but rather to access the router. The above username and password allow you to enter the setup wizard. Once in, you can set a key (or have one auto-assigned) that will allow only your laptop (or anyone you share the key with) to access the internet through your router. This keeps others from leeching off of the connection you are paying for.
And therein lies the issue. These devices come with a default admin password. You need to change this. If you do not, your neighbor may decide to take it over.....

As for does your security matter - that depends: If your laptop or computer was sitting in the middle of a shopping mall; aside for someone physically taking it, would you be concerned about the information that is on there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers