Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 66,296 times

Advertisements

Issue: when docked, wireless connection says "connected" to my home wi-fi network but no internet pages will load. If I undock it, it connects no problem.

Specs:
Dell Latitude E6440 laptop
Dell E Port II
Dual monitors (Dell) connected one through VGA from monitor straight to dock, one through USB display adapter from monitor VGA to adapter to USB port
Keyboard
Mouse

I've read some posts regarding disabling the LAN which didn't seem to make a difference. Other posts say the monitors/cables could be causing interference, but I'm not sure how I'd fix that.

Any advice and steps to fix would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 01:23 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
This guy had the same problem but the resolution didn't make any sense:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/compu...g-station.html

What Windows version and Dell model do you have?

Old 05-29-2014, 01:08 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
That is BY DESIGN on some hp laptops, like the HP-8530p

When it's docked it wants to be wired and when it's undocked it wants to be wireless. You can circumvent this by disabling the onboard wireless chip in the BIOS, and purchase an external USB thumbdrive wireless adapter. That's the only way I know to be docked and wireless at the same time.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
That is BY DESIGN on some hp laptops, like the HP-8530p

When it's docked it wants to be wired and when it's undocked it wants to be wireless. You can circumvent this by disabling the onboard wireless chip in the BIOS, and purchase an external USB thumbdrive wireless adapter. That's the only way I know to be docked and wireless at the same time.

Well, I have a Lenovo laptop on a dock and my wireless connection works just fine.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
This guy had the same problem but the resolution didn't make any sense:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/compu...g-station.html

What Windows version and Dell model do you have?
I have a Dell Latitude E6440 and am using Windows 7. I saw that guy's post and tried adjusting the resolution but it didn't fix my issue. Someone did post about interference with all the cables so if that is the case and someone can walk me through how to fix that that'd be great.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achambers330 View Post
I have a Dell Latitude E6440 and am using Windows 7. I saw that guy's post and tried adjusting the resolution but it didn't fix my issue. Someone did post about interference with all the cables so if that is the case and someone can walk me through how to fix that that'd be great.

Can you check this while undocked?

Open Control Panel > View Network Status and Tasks > Wireless Network Connection > Properties > Configure > Advanced

Do you see an entry in the list "Disabled Upon Wired Connection"? If so, highlight it, set it on Disabled, and click OK.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:36 PM

No, I don't see that entry as an option. When it's docked at my office with an LAN connection, the wireless still shows up as working and I even disabled the LAN connnection while there and the wireless worked fine while docked. So that leads me to believe it's something with the setup at home with my monitors.

Tried something today, I unplugged the second monitor (was connected through the USB port with a VGA adapter) so there's only one monitor plugged in directly to the dock through the VGA port. Wireless started working.

Any ideas why plugging in a second monitor this way disables the wireless connection?

Old 05-31-2014, 01:41 PM

I don't see that as an option, no.

When the laptop is docked at my office and the LAN is disabled, the wireless works, so it's just this home setup that appears to be the problem.

I tried unplugging the 2nd monitor at home that was connected through a USB-VGA adapter and the wireless worked for a minute then went out.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:44 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Your router is giving the same address to two devices. so try resetting your router, replacing your router, or go the real inexpensive way and purchase a USB wifi N for around $10 and not worry about it.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 18,920 times
In the advanced settings, 1. remove the network 2. re-add network 3. choose a different "security" setting (I used WPA2 Personal TKIP instead of WPA2 Enterprise AES). 4. Enter password 5. Click Add. 6. Repeat steps 1-5 with a different security setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers