Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:10 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

I am a senior citizen and not very techy. I have an old laptop that's about to be replaced. I ripped over 500 CDs to the hardrive, in MP3 format (I know probably not the best thing, but it's already done). I also have uploaded this music to Amazon cloud (I have Prime), Google play, and Dropbox.

I would like to play this music in my family room using the wifi in my house. I do not own any stereo equipment at this time (all sold to the new owner of my old house). I have no objection to plugging 2 speakers into electric outlets, but that's it as far as wires go (except the laptop which is always plugged in, but in a different room). The wifi setup is NOT networked and nevrr will be (this okd laptop is windows vista, which sucks.)

Alternatively, I could use my android tablets for streaming the music from the cloud storage, but NO BLUETOOTH. The tablets are all androuds and wifi enabled only.

I want reasonably good quality sound, small size, reasonably attractive (or at least, not ugly) speakers, with a total price for all the equipment of $300. Might go to $400 for something truly sensational.

Ideas, suggestions, please?

PS if there's another forum that might be helpful, that's good too. But most of tte audio boards are so techy that it's over my head AND budget. I tried AVS, but they weren't interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 02:06 PM

531 posts, read 758,015 times
FREE --> Plug your left over computer speakers to earphone jack of your android tablet.
You have this knowledge - know how already.

If you want wireless, get a BT device plug into earphone jack of your android tablet plus BT AV system.
.... the list is endless...

Old 09-03-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k81689 View Post
FREE --> Plug your left over computer speakers to earphone jack of your android tablet.
You have this knowledge - know how already.

If you want wireless, get a BT device plug into earphone jack of your android tablet plus BT AV system.
.... the list is endless...
Im not an idiot, but WTH are you taljing about! What "left over computer speakers"?

As far as your second sentence, I'm totally lost. Sorry.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:00 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
If the Android tablets have a headphone output (and I'm positive they do), you can buy a device like a Jambox (look it up on Amazon) and use it as your speaker. Yes, they run Bluetooth, but they can also be plugged directly in, without running Bluetooth. Any program (Amazon Cloud Music, Pandora, Spotify, etc) that will run on your Android will work.

I use a Sonos (also on Amazon, for reference) system that has its own wireless, but the speakers are EXPENSIVE - not sure I would do that system again.

The "left over computer speakers" bit likely refers to those of us who have had computer systems for years and have spare this-n-that, like speakers, old keyboards, monitors, motherboards, etc etc etc just catching dust in the closet.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:44 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Do you have a newer TV?

$35: Chromecast

Old 09-04-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Do you have a newer TV?

$35: Chromecast
I do. I have a smartTV and it's connected to Wifi. The sound quality for music is inadequate. I also have a soundbar that is fine for TV watching, but is not full enough for music.

I think all I need are some wifi speakers that are high quality. Does such a thing exist? I do understand that Sonos would work, but agree that the cost is on the high side unless I were going to buy multiple speakers and play music is multiple rooms. Not the case here.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:55 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
You can probably find one of those mini tabletop stereos for less than 100 bucks. As long as it has an audio-in jack, you can connect the headphone jack from your computer/tablet to the audio-in jack on the stereo and play the music through the stereo. This is exactly what I do. And it's probably cheaper than trying to find some other type of wireless or bluetooth speakers.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:01 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I do. I have a smartTV and it's connected to Wifi. The sound quality for music is inadequate. I also have a soundbar that is fine for TV watching, but is not full enough for music.

I think all I need are some wifi speakers that are high quality. Does such a thing exist?

Yes, but they are *NOT* inexpensive.
http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/play1

I think a Bluetooth setup might be your best bet. Why are you anti Bluetooth?

Old 09-04-2014, 03:46 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Ambiance WiFi Music Systems : The OontZ Designed and Engineered by Cambridge SoundWorks

Old 09-04-2014, 03:53 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,795,726 times
Upgrade your sound bar or sound bar system to a better sounding one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers