Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 02:09 PM

129 posts, read 524,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Saw a mention that turning off auto correct helps.

Will have to take a look at this.

To some degree, eset which updates on startup might have something to do with this.

Anyone know if it lags on Windows 7 compared with XP?

Also: Virtual XP is loaded but never have really used it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 02:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
I use virtual XP for an old version of AutoCAD and it works great.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:34 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
While waiting to fix the win 7 laptop with the dead keyboard (ordered the keyboard, did it myself) I bought a refirb with 7 installed which took work too, and ended up using the old xp laptop for word processing. It had an older version of Word Perfect, the same version as installed on the one with the dead keyboard. Both ran the same. While I was waiting for the part, I used the xp word processor and loved how fast it worked and how easy the display was.

But then, with now *two* functioning win 7 laptops, I had to copy and transfer all the files I'd done to them. Then is when the problems came up. It used a completely different program to write the files to disc. The discs has to be set up for universal readabilty. I could read them on the win 7 machines, but had to copy the text to a new file and save it.

I'm not sure which version of xp it is, but due to the file problem its fate is to be my cd player. I'm going to load the collection on it and hook it up to the speakers and use it for that. The player on xp was far better and has a neat display of patterns you can run on the screen gone from seven.

I'd say I'm more impressed with the general sturdyness of the xp machine over either of the later laptops too.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:39 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,413 times
My XP to 7 upgrade occured years ago and it was seamless. Big performance improvement, no files disappearing, everything organized right. I won't be upgrading to Windows 8 though.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:51 PM

One thing I hadn't mentioned is that now I'm relying on the I5 built in video feature - I shed the video card. Which I'm happy with. It's nice not to have one. Keeps things simpler.

Can this cause my more recent 7 OS to appear to run slower?

Old 10-04-2014, 08:54 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleck View Post
One thing I hadn't mentioned is that now I'm relying on the I5 built in video feature - I shed the video card. Which I'm happy with. It's nice not to have one. Keeps things simpler.

I just sold an 8 year old Dell Core 2 Duo laptop running W7 32 bit. No video card, but on board video.
No real issues with it or the OS. It seemed to operate fine to me.
I only sold it to get something newer and lighter for travel.

You either have a piece of hardware that is not capable, or a configuration issue, I would think. But, I would leave that diagnosis to the smarter guys who hang out here.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I like windows 7 more than I did XP. To each his own tho.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:05 PM

We actually have (2) pcs in this household.

Somewhat similar situation for both that went from XP to 7 at the same time.

The other pc (not mentioned til now) has an older Intel board and 4 gigs DDR2. Which has been slower with both OS's.

Also, both pc's are Window's 7 64 bit.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:31 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleck View Post

Windows 7 is definitely better than XP, and depending on how it's configured, it's much faster. To figure out what's slowing it down, while your computer is running very slow, start the Task Manager and select the processes tab, then sort it by the memory being used. Assuming your computer is free of viruses, then you can look at the list and see what's using up resources. You can also use the "Performance" tab in Task Manager to give you an idea on the amount of CPU and RAM/Paging memory being used.

On the video settings, the i5 without the video card is sufficient for basic needs, with a low resolution setting on the monitor. But if you try to set your screen to a resolution higher than 1024x768, and use it to play video games, then that can certainly put a load on the processor. I believe Windows 7 Ultimate has the option to dedicate the amount of memory for video display, I'm not sure if Home Premium has that option also.

I'd also say reinstall the video card you took out, and the driver software that came with it, and if possible, upgrade the RAM memory to 8 GB. A 64-bit OS like Windows 7, depending on what you do with it, 4 GB is sufficient for basic needs, but it's always nice to have that extra RAM. Also, check how your paging memory is configured (in Control Panel - System>Advanced Tab>Performance (Settings Button) and >Advanced Tab). Make sure your paging file size (virtual memory) is set correctly. Set it to a minimum of total DDR3 RAM * .25 - Example: if RAM memory is 4 GB, VM size would be a minimum of 1 GB, or 1/4 of total RAM. Be careful about going ballistic with this because if you allocate 5 GB of VM, you'll only be wasting 4 GB of disk space you may not need in VM.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

On the video settings, the i5 without the video card is sufficient for basic needs, with a low resolution setting on the monitor. But if you try to set your screen to a resolution higher than 1024x768, and use it to play video games, then that can certainly put a load on the processor. I believe Windows 7 Ultimate has the option to dedicate the amount of memory for video display, I'm not sure if Home Premium has that option also.

I'd also say reinstall the video card you took out, and the driver software that came with it, and if possible, upgrade the RAM memory to 8 GB. A 64-bit OS like Windows 7, depending on what you do with it, 4 GB is sufficient for basic needs, but it's always nice to have that extra RAM. Also, check how your paging memory is configured (in Control Panel - System>Advanced Tab>Performance (Settings Button) and >Advanced Tab). Make sure your paging file size (virtual memory) is set correctly. Set it to a minimum of total DDR3 RAM * .25 - Example: if RAM memory is 4 GB, VM size would be a minimum of 1 GB, or 1/4 of total RAM. Be careful about going ballistic with this because if you allocate 5 GB of VM, you'll only be wasting 4 GB of disk space you may not need in VM.
The pc concerned about has 8gb ddr3

Resolution is set to 1600 x 900 - have recently gotten warning messages to reset the resolution

Windows7 Pro

I never removed a vid card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers