U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 PM

67 posts, read 192,879 times

Advertisements

just bought myself a laptop and the screen is smudgy.....What is safe to clean it with?? Also where the mouse pad is and all around it is kind of dirty, as in dry sticky stuff........Not sure where this came from! What do I clean this part with?
Also, should I wait until the computer shuts down before I close it up? and do I need to put something in between to protect the keys against the screen? I had a piece of something in there when I first got it but I think the computer store has it because I had my computer checked after I bought it. What can I put between there, or doesn't it matter?
This computer did not come with any instructions at all. I guess they assume people know how to run a laptop already......haven't tried my dvd player or webcam yet I hope I get online instructions to do that...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 10:30 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,995,313 times
For a cloth they suggest a VERY soft cloth. No napkins, paper towels or anything of the sort. I used a cloth that came with my glasses. It worked well for me. And for the actual liquid to clean it with, I used water. I read that Apple actually suggests just using plain water since I didn't have Deja Blue I had to use tap water, which isn't recommended, but it still worked so if my screen explodes or melts, or I start getting spots, it's my fault for not using expensive water. For cleaning the mouse I haven't the slightest, I use a normal mouse now because using the touch pad hurts my wrist. As for the screen it will be fine without anything in between it. If the keys touched the screen when you closed it, that would not be good at all. I usually wait for my notebook to completely shut off before I close it, because if I don't it usually goes into sleep mode then when I open it, it shuts off on me.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:43 PM

4,593 posts, read 8,199,855 times
Agree with Ronzou on the eyeglass cloth (or stuff you get for camera lenses). The other stuff you can try is the wet-nap looking wipes that you may find at work (the one's we have is called screen-kleen). That works well - just make sure you don't mistake the generic pads for cleaning your phones / desks. Finally, microfiber is a good alternative these days.

What kind of laptop do you have? The Apple G4's had the issue with the keys making contact with the screen. This was mainly due to its thin profile, and a soft lid. So if you applied any pressure to the lid (when closed), it'd make contact with the keys. Companies even started to sell a piece of cloth to be placed between the lid/keyboard when closed. I actually still use one with my MBP - not sure if its necessary... just a habit.

I actually don't usually turn my laptop off, just close the lid to put it to sleep. It won't hurt it. But as Ronzou said, if its in the process of shutting down, you may actually interrupt that and have it continue when you open it back up.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:51 AM

67 posts, read 192,879 times
I was reading the package on my wet wipes for my eyeglasses and it says you can use it on computers.......I was kind of leary about that! Do you know if it will be alright?
Yes, I had a soft thing between my computer but the guy at Circuit City must have kept it after he did the free maintenance on my computer, but I would like to put something between there. I am using a pillowcase right now......LOL.
My laptop is turning on, but nothing is coming up on the screen. This has happened twice so far.....do not what is going on with it. I wish this would have came with better instructions.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:02 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,995,313 times
The best thing you can do is make sure NOT to use ANYTHING with alcohol. It will eat the screen.

As for the notebook screen not turning on, I'd check the Web site and see if it say anything about it, or email them about it. Because if you take it back to where you got it, they will say, "Oh we can't do anything about it." And probably charge you 50 bucks just to say that. Retail stores are so greedy these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or