U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:39 AM

11,497 posts, read 21,900,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I forgot to add this. Since it was "new" it was suppose to have the full 1 yr. Sony warranty and Sony told me it did have the warranty and mailed me a postage free box and packing material to ship it to their repair center in San Diego. It was AFTER it got there and they took it apart to figure out what was wrong with it that they saw missing screws, non-Sony parts etc. and told me the warranty was void. I never paid Sony a cent. I could not afford to fix it and they shipped it back to me.
How did you find this "dealer"?

Is it possible for you to DM me with the "shops" site so I can see for myself?

I then have a few ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 07:34 AM

532 posts, read 2,131,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I forgot to add this. Since it was "new" it was suppose to have the full 1 yr. Sony warranty and Sony told me it did have the warranty and mailed me a postage free box and packing material to ship it to their repair center in San Diego. It was AFTER it got there and they took it apart to figure out what was wrong with it that they saw missing screws, non-Sony parts etc. and told me the warranty was void. I never paid Sony a cent. I could not afford to fix it and they shipped it back to me.
Ah, well that is a shame. Even if you had bought it through ebay, after 3 months theres nothing you could really do about it. (90 days to fight if you paid with CC). Kind of funny what you say about the missing screws and such. At my last job I serviced IBM thinkpads, and i did most of the repairs, but for the oddball 'change out everything in the inside' type disasters i used to send them to Memphis. When Id end up cracking them back open again for whatever they didnt do right, they were ALWAYS missing screws, things not seated right, cases cracked, etc. butchers. factory service center. I think with yours they had no record of working on it, so obviously someone else did. And saw the wrong parts. Or they just blew you off, which sucks. Sorry to hear it. I think you are better off selling it for parts on ebay, and buying another brand. You can detail the whole story and maybe include a link to where you bought it from. Not totally trashing the computer, but listed what you think is good and bad one it, and REALLY explain the trouble you had with the seller. We ended up consolidating the Vaio's parts until they were phased out. Some didnt even make the warantee period before they were replaced, people just cant be without their computers that much.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:25 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,416,917 times
The way I found this "dealer" was on Ebay searching for new computers. I found a computer he was selling that I liked and it had sold. I asked when or if he would be relisting that same computer again and he said he had one he could sell me. He said he would sell me one off of Ebay $50 cheaper as he would not have to pay the listing fee. After several emails and questions I agreed to buy it from him. He said he was an authorized Sony Deal (found out later he is not). He has good feedback on Ebay but I know he sells off Ebay a lot, just like he did with me. I think he is fully aware that the computer was not new and was worked on. When I told him what Sony found he denied it not being new, said Sony "didn't know how to fix it" so they were "jerking me around". Yeah right, Sony doesn't know how to fix Sony computers. He has refused on all levels to cooperate or try to make things right and will not even email me back anymore. He has lied to me so many times I lost count.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:05 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,504,209 times
Quote:
He said he would sell me one off of Ebay $50 cheaper as he would not have to pay the listing fee.
When eBay sellers try to get you to purchase outside of eBay they are often trying to rip you off.

Also, the major retailers are already selling name brand computers on low margins. So if someone is selling them much cheaper there is most likely something odd going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or