U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 09:23 AM

3,492 posts, read 5,060,193 times

Advertisements

I'm fairly literate when it comes to computers. I can even write a bit of code in a few different languages. However, I have fallen far behind when it comes to transmitting video. There are now endless products that will transmit from a computer to a tv, or from the internet to a tv. Neither of those match what I'm looking for. I don't own a TV.

I do however own a few computers and have a spare high quality monitor. I would like to place that monitor over my fireplace and use it to watch whatever is happening on my baseline monitor.

So, for instance, I would be able to play videos from youtube or hulu with no app, just running it on my regular computer and having it show up on both monitors. I am NOT interested in buying a TV. My videocard is happy to support two monitors and designed to do so. The ideal solution is simply cloning the image sent to my regular monitor so I can easily adjust things as necessary at my desk and then return to the couch or use a wireless mouse and keyboard from the couch. No stupid remotes desired.

It would also be able to show the video from a DVD. So if I were to go to redbox, for instance, and rent a movie, I would play it on my computer and have the video show up on the second monitor.

When I am not playing videos, I would turn that monitor off and simply use my primary monitor that resides on my computer desk.

Ideas? I have looked through Amazon and just found product after product for hooking up a TV which I neither have nor want.

Thank you other tech savvy people!

PS. I'd love links to individual products so I can build a watchlist. Planning to do some Black Friday shopping (yes, I plan 6-7 weeks out) I found the internet to tv options for as cheap as 40 bucks, I have not found anything that does what I want for less than 200 to 300. At those prices, I can just buy a cheap desktop computer and place it on the mantle next to the monitor. That seems like a stupid and ugly fix, but if the manufacturers won't provide the product I want...

PPS. The distance I need to transmit is 30 to 40 feet from my office to the mantle. I can make it straight shot if necessary by slightly moving the computer.

PPPS. I do not need it to transmit at a full 1080P. I don't care about blue-ray quality. If it transmits at 720P at a reasonable price that is perfectly acceptable. I'm not looking for crap resolution, but 720P looks good to me as long as it can still play a file that is recorded in 1080P and just scales down the quality.

Last edited by lurtsman; 10-13-2014 at 09:48 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 01:16 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,797 times
Sorry than I don't have any specific product recommendations, but this is really going to depend upon what type of video ports are available on the extra monitor, and on your computer.

If you have HDMI on both ends, then just find one of the ones listed for TV that has good reviews.

If not, then you'll have to search for one specific to the available video ports you have, or use an adapter and one of the TV ones.

HDMI to DVI adapters (or cables) can be had from Amazon for just a few dollars, and have worked very well for me.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:25 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,450,646 times
If you have a newer Intel and compatible video card that uses WiDi
NETGEAR PTV3000-100NAS Network Digital Media Player - Newegg.com

Otherwise this looks like what you might need
StarTech WiFi to VGA Wireless Video Extender with Audio - 1280x1024/720p WIFI2VGA VGA Interface - Newegg.com

This looks like another one
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
Disclaimer I haven't used either one. I plug my computer HDMI to my TV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or