Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 12:55 PM

54 posts, read 79,246 times

Advertisements

My trusty Dell laptop that I had for six years died. I would buy another, but I hate Windows 8 more than the devil himself. I can't really afford the $900 for an apple laptop. So, I was considering getting a higher-end chromebook (32 GB hard drive) or an iPad and buying an add-on keyboard.

I do most of my computing from my desktop at home, so I'll only be using the laptop/tablet for reading PDFs and grading student essays. Sometimes (like once a month) I like to get some writing done from a coffee shop.

I don't play video games or stream movies.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 01:19 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,050 times
As with most tech decisions, the answer is "it depends"

Are you more heavily involved in one ecosystem (google's universe or apple's?)? If you are, that's a pretty large factor for most.

If you were strictly only doing what you say, either one will be just fine. Chromebook has the keyboard attached so you can't lose it or forget to bring it, but iPad has a built in one so you don't technically NEED it even if you do forget it.

Battery life, camera (front and back vs only one), app selection are all better on the iPad. Chromebook costs less, has a bigger screen, doesn't require you to buy a peripheral (keyboard).

If you want a shot in the dark answer, I think you'd be happier with the iPad, simply because it does more and while you may think you don't need the features it has, down the road you may.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:15 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Get a refurbed macbook air? http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...macbook_air/11

Last edited by archineer; 10-24-2014 at 05:40 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 08:09 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
FWIW

If you dislike Win8, you can download the following program and it will act nearly like a Win7 machine:
Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

Thus still going with a traditional laptop.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I have tablets in all 3 major platforms. But if I had to write a paper, I'd definitely prefer to use my Chromebook. Screen size matters. Some Chromebooks are lighter than a MB Air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers