U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:35 PM

966 posts, read 1,219,169 times

Advertisements

Went to run malware bytes today. A pop=up said that a newer version is available. I currently run free AVG and free Malware (thanks to all of you who directed me to a clean site). I decided that I would install the new version of Malware and exit if there is a charge. Before getting to this point, the set up wizard instructed the user to temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall before proceeding.
I joined the AVG community to find out how to do this on the AVG program without uninstalling, and if it really is necessary. It makes me nervous to be without it, frankly.
Can you temporarily disable AVG and then return it. Or do you have to uninstall, and reinstall?
Would anyone know if this update to the free Malware bytes is free? They don't tell you upfront. I'm only interested if its free.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:10 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,562,468 times
I just went to malwarebytes website and the most current version is 2.0.3.1025 - yes it's free, yes they'll probably ask you to join the pro trial, no you're in no danger of somehow getting charged when you haven't entered a form of payment.

If you're unsure, download the new client manually.

Also if you do install the pro trial, don't run more than one active scanner at a time, it's not typically a good idea as they will conflict and sometimes even mark each other as malware.

Yes, you can temporarily disable AVG. I typed "disable avg" in google and it showed this on the front page:

Old 10-29-2014, 08:14 AM

11,749 posts, read 11,315,152 times
I've installed Malwarebytes dozens of times and never had to disable any antivirus program to get it done. If you are using a firewall other than Windows Firewall, you may have to temporarily disable that.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:54 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,401,683 times
AVG is just now installing a new version. Once you have it, all you have to do is right-click the tray icon, and click "Temporarily disable AVG". You should (but don't have to) always disable all other security cleaners when running a scan. Make sure your browsers are closed when you do that, and that you don't use your browsers while the scan is in progress. Don't forget to turn it back on when youj finish your MB scan -- there is a little triangle in the AVG icon when it is not fullly operational.

If you still have the old AVG, you can temporarily disble by opening AVG, Double-click "Resident shield", untick "active"

I also ran the new Malwarebyes scan this morning, and it installed and ran without any issues. Just make sure the Trial box is uncheciked.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:22 PM

Thank you for your help. I can proceed with confidence. When I think something is easy, that's when I get into trouble.
Happy Halloween.....

Old 11-01-2014, 12:35 PM

Just ran the updated Malwarebytes (with AVG disabled and back on - thanks) and it found about 8 infected files, 2 folders and problems with a registry key. Thanks everyone, don't know what I would do without your help.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:22 PM

9,088 posts, read 6,400,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localinsight View Post
Just ran the updated Malwarebytes (with AVG disabled and back on - thanks) and it found about 8 infected files, 2 folders and problems with a registry key. Thanks everyone, don't know what I would do without your help.
Infected with what?

Old 11-16-2014, 10:15 AM

The infected files were those "PUP" files and there was a registry key problem. I have no idea what the latter is, but quarantined it. When I uninstalled mcafee (from cox cable) and ran free avg and malware bytes, alot of files and folders were found.
I think PUP is a potentally in protected file. This updated malewarebytes.org found more.
I think I'm ok
thanks. I was concerned about disabling avg temporarily.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:29 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
PUP is Potentially Unwanted Program, usually toolbars, trackers, or other useless junk.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:46 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,121,432 times
I have AVG and didn't have to temporary disable it to install new free version. never have had to. Some versions of Norton will have to be disabled I found when running it tho. No problem tho as Norton displayed a warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers