U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:19 AM

42,663 posts, read 75,373,227 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to install Firefox 28.0. Whenever I run the installation, the only options in the box are back/upgrade/cancel. When I click Upgrade, it installs Firefox 33, and keeps on reinstalling 33 no matter how many times I try. How can I tell the installer to just install what I asked for, and not upgrade to 33? Or has Firefox now made it impossible to downgrade to an older version?

By the way, just in case I'm stuck with this 33 POS, where the hell is the Menu Button (3 horizontal lines) so I can try to change my preferences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 11:34 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
By the way, just in case I'm stuck with this 33 POS, where the hell is the Menu Button (3 horizontal lines) so I can try to change my preferences?
No idea on the downgrade, but my Menu Button is in the same place it was in 32.

You can always right click in the blank tab area, or hit the "ALT" key (in Windows at least) to get to the menus.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
No idea on the downgrade, but my Menu Button is in the same place it was in 32.

You can always right click in the blank tab area, or hit the "ALT" key (in Windows at least) to get to the menus.

I never had 32, either. Why don't you tell me where that is. It is not in the upper right hand corner. There is nothing to the right of my Adblock logo.

By the way, when I go to Help>About Firefox, it says I have 28.0, but an upgrade is running. When it finishes, I'm back to 33.

Oh, I see. Thanks for tip on how to open the menu bar, just another of the magical "hidden features" that cannot be found intuitively. and changes with every version. It installs with the menu bar hidden by default (and probably a thousand other useful features that even some geeks haven't found yet.) Those are the reasons I hate Chrome, and it seems that Firefox is bent on copying every bad idea from Chrome.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:44 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I never had 32, either. Why don't you tell me where that is. It is not in the upper right hand corner. There is nothing to the right of my Adblock logo.
I should have said: it's on the top right, same place it's been since they introduced it in whatever version they did.

The ALT menu thing has always been there (in pretty much every piece of software ever), as has the context menu.

It is weird that the menu button is missing, do you have a plugin that messes with the bars or something?

I don't even see a way to remove it via the customization menu.

From Options > Advanced > Update: you can stop automatic updates.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:20 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,671,955 times
Have you tried to install FF 28 from file hippo?

Firefox 28 - History - FileHippo.com

Old 10-29-2014, 08:50 PM

18,537 posts, read 55,453,855 times
I seem to remember that at some point FF changed over to automatically update. I'm thinking around make 22 but could be totally off-base.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Have you tried to install FF 28 from file hippo?

Firefox 28 - History - FileHippo.com
Yes, and also from Major Geeks and also direct form Mozilla. Same thing every time. Al of them offer me exactly the same installation file. But now that I know the hidden trick about displaying the menu toolbar, I can figure out how to use 33, although I think the reason I downgraded in the past is because I have Vista, which doesn't support all features of the newer Firefoxes.

If it's impossible for me to install 28.0, of course it's also impossible to go to options and tell it to not upgrade automatically.

There is still no triple-bar menu icon on my Firefox 33 page. In Chrome, I see it jusr right of the AdBlock icon, but in Firefox, there is nothing at all to the right of that icon.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:21 AM

9,059 posts, read 6,392,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I seem to remember that at some point FF changed over to automatically update. I'm thinking around make 22 but could be totally off-base.
That is correct....not sure which version it started with, but the newer versions update automatically by clicking "about". It's one of the many reasons I run Firefox 13. It's fast, smooth, and under my control. The new versions are nightmares.

Generally speaking, software is getting worse - not better. Those who still feel compelled to ride the "upgrade" train are riding it right off a cliff.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:04 AM

1,085 posts, read 830,232 times
You can try Pale Moon, a Firefox variant:
The Pale Moon Project homepage

If you are running Windows XP like I am, you will need this version:
Pale Moon for Windows XP - Software - Binary Outcast

Pale Moon uses the older Firefox layout that many of us preferred.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:06 AM

9,059 posts, read 6,392,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
You can try Pale Moon, a Firefox variant:
The Pale Moon Project homepage

If you are running Windows XP like I am, you will need this version:
Pale Moon for Windows XP - Software - Binary Outcast

Pale Moon uses the older Firefox layout that many of us preferred.
Any advantage over an older Firefox version?

I clicked on your first link and then on Windows XP support under help and found this statement listed first as one of the "good reasons" that Pale Moon no longer supports XP.
Quote:
OS security considerations: Windows XP is no longer supported or maintained by its developer (Microsoft) and lacks continued security updates that are needed in this day and age of malware. It's considered End of Life since April 2014, and using it is inherently taking a risk. Pale Moon should not support situations where the user puts themselves at risk. Consider it a nudge to move on.
Good enough to pretty much eliminate their credibility with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or