U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 05:22 PM

747 posts, read 1,837,381 times

Advertisements

Anyone on here techy-knowledgeable enough to remember this funny little thingy on computers, that goes back to the '90s, (or before-for all I know) that is kind of like an avatar of the computer administrator...and if you do something the computer cannot execute, it pops up and says kind of sing-songy, "Ah-ah-ah! You didn't say...(or enter...or do)...such-and such...!"

I first noticed this in the first Jurassic Park movie, in which the park engineer is trying to do something on the computer, I presume about the dinosaur break-out situation...and this weird little "Ah-ah-ah!" guy that looks like him pops up and says "You didn't say the magic word!" then the guy gets annoyed because he cannot execute some command.

Anyone can tell me what that pop-up module is called, please tell and enlighten me! I think it's kinda cute and don't know exactly if people in real life still have them, or this is sort of a tv sight gag?? I know only enough to ask. I think on an episode of Family Guy, Peter or Stewie has an "ah-ah-ah!" avatar guy too that keeps him from doing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 05:51 PM

I found the clip from Jurassic Park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfiQYRn7fBg

Old 10-31-2014, 06:28 AM

11,714 posts, read 11,305,024 times
It's just a movie. Even the command line stuff is faked.

I can't help you with Family Guy. I've never seen it.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:20 AM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
"Bob, is that you?"

Old 10-31-2014, 10:48 AM

16,719 posts, read 15,124,332 times
It was a movie...

Old 10-31-2014, 11:17 AM

18,537 posts, read 55,453,855 times
It isn't a pop-up. Something like that is simply part of the program. In the old days there were screen types that you would swap depending on if you wanted graphics or text. Writing in a default to a lockout screen is easy. For a while I had a bunch of funny ones imbedded in my programs that would only come up if someone was trying a simple hack. The greater protective effect was leaving the text of them in plain text in the code, with some of them going nowhere to frustrate the over-thinkers. It is all just silliness. One of the better ones was to do a screen that went "You have attempted to use this program illegally, your hard disk will now be wiped of all data." accompanied by a routine that would make the disk whine and show a task completion bar. Just stuff playing with kiddie hackers.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:37 AM

As it turns out, I found out later that in an episode of Family Guy, Brian is trying to rewire something in Stewie's time machine and then there is a Stewie avatar going "Ah ah ah!". Apparently Brian was messing around and did not have Stewie's permission to use the time machine.

Upon the limited other resources I found, this could be a part of the Sudo program in Unix...supposedly it's a security control thingy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers