U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 09:14 AM

369 posts, read 1,817,746 times

Advertisements

One of my Christmas gifts was a laptop, which is something I have been wanting. I am curious to know if there is a way to transfer my saved favorite places and my address book from my PC to the laptop? I really like to have all my information located in one spot, but having 2 machines will make this impossible. As much as is possible, I would like them to be duplicates of each other...without sounding like a total idiot - HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 10:23 AM

52,155 posts, read 30,221,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
One of my Christmas gifts was a laptop, which is something I have been wanting. I am curious to know if there is a way to transfer my saved favorite places and my address book from my PC to the laptop? I really like to have all my information located in one spot, but having 2 machines will make this impossible. As much as is possible, I would like them to be duplicates of each other...without sounding like a total idiot - HELP!
If you have a flash drive, you can place the "Favorites" folder on it and copy it to your new laptop. The Favorites folder is usually in the "C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Favorites".

On the address book information, if you use Outlook Express, you can export the address book information from your old computer to a delimited file and import it to Outlook Express on your new laptop. From OE's main menu, click on "File"/"Export" and "Address Book", you'll have the option of exporting and importing the data. Again, copy the the exported file from your old computer using a flash drive, and place it in the USB port on your laptop and copy the file on its disk drive and run the import process.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:49 AM

28,638 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Another way to transfer the address book if you use Outlook Express is to copy the file in the same manner described above for favorites.

1. Open Outlook Express on the laptop and open the address book. Click the Help drop down menu, click on About. The location of the address book is shown, as is the name (file extension is wab). Write this down, or remember it if your memory is better than mine.

2. Do the same on the "old" computer. Browse to the location shown and copy the file to a flash drive, floppy, etc

3. If the name of the file on the laptop is different than the "old" PC then rename the file on the flash drive to what the laptop shows.

4. Close Outlook Express on the laptop and copy the wab file to the location in step 1

Open Outlook and check the address book.

If you use Outlook then export/import is better

Old 01-02-2008, 10:43 PM

1,677 posts, read 5,905,747 times
Depending on how much stuff you wish to transfer look at:

In Xp you can also investigate Files and settings transfer wizard.

Located in Accessories, systemtool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or