U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:33 AM

1,001 posts, read 2,841,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
We all need to learn legal procedure so we can fight back. Just tie them up in court with useless motions while we countersue. This is another reason I am trying to get with the movement to create a free, public database of caselaw. Next we need to hold judges accountable. Finally how about a one-year boycott of all RIAA associated music?
You'd lose.

And it's astounding how much music you'd be boycotting if you went forward with a boycott of all RIAA associated music, although I would certainly congratulate you for being one of only a few that would actually put their money where their mouth is.

Bottom line is that your favorite bands and artists are willingfully selling the rights to their music to these record labels, corporations, and groups that are acting in this manner. Boycott them, and support independent music. Maybe then THE ARTISTS/BANDS will get the picture, and that in turn may change the actions of the bigs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 AM

22,559 posts, read 47,899,579 times
I put this on the music thread, too.

I had Urge Music subscription service. I paid $14.95 a month to have the ability to transfer music that I bought to a MP3.

I did not own a MP3, although I planned on buying one in the future.

Anyway, I bought a lot of music through them, paying 99 cents a piece and more for full length CDs.

They went out of business. Now I cannot play these tracks on my Windows Media Player.

I'm not trying to play these on a MP3. These are songs that I bought and I cannot play them on my computer!!!!

What can I do?

Old 01-07-2008, 03:18 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,052,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
You'd lose.

And it's astounding how much music you'd be boycotting if you went forward with a boycott of all RIAA associated music, although I would certainly congratulate you for being one of only a few that would actually put their money where their mouth is.

Bottom line is that your favorite bands and artists are willingfully selling the rights to their music to these record labels, corporations, and groups that are acting in this manner. Boycott them, and support independent music. Maybe then THE ARTISTS/BANDS will get the picture, and that in turn may change the actions of the bigs.
This is precisely what I plan to do!!! RIAA has gone too far! There's PLENTY of Indie artists and labels out there and most of our communities have lots of excellent bands and small producers cranking out great original music. A lot of the time the quality of the music is significantly better and more original than what gets picked up by the RIAA associated labels. Keep it Local!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,615,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
LOTS of good comments on this thread. I posted this on the music thread so FWIW I'm putting it on here. In the late 70's album sales were at their highest point ever. But cassettes were slipping in sales. So around 1980 or so the Record industry started this campaign to the public about how Maxell, BASF, Memorex, and other related companies were costing them money in cassette sales. So they started sounding the mantra - "Home Taping Is Killing Music." Overseas, they carried it a step further. I bought a fair amount of vinyl overseas (still do), and on a number of the white generic paper sleeves was a cassette printed in black with skull bones across it and the "Home Taping Is Killing Music." This was maybe three years before compact discs were introduced to the public. If memory serves, music reps went to Congress and Senate to state their case.
I recall in the early 70s we had an AOR station called Channel 98 in town and they played a whole LP at 10 PM every night and they started having to break it up with commercials because the record companies issued a threat to them.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:15 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,645,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
I've not bought a single CD that had anything to do with the RIAA in over 5 years now. Not even as a gift!

Most of the music I have is from overseas (which some bands endorse the download and sharing of their music!) or from underground and independent artists.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:41 PM

312 posts, read 986,167 times
I wish they could put an end to DRM altogether and sell DRM-free songs at 99 cents like the normal protected music is sold at right now at the iTunes Store. Then maybe more people would legally purchase their music - if they could have full control over it after it's purchased.

I buy all my music but I think it's annoying that it can only be played on iPods and only on a certain number of computers, etc. etc. I do frequent hard drive formats and sometimes I forget to deactivate my iTunes account on a certain computer, then that computer counts as one of the "five" computers I'm permitted to have my music on.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:48 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire372~ View Post
I wish they could put an end to DRM altogether and sell DRM-free songs at 99 cents like the normal protected music is sold at right now at the iTunes Store. Then maybe more people would legally purchase their music - if they could have full control over it after it's purchased.
That is slowly happening. Thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers