U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2008, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
28,400 posts, read 48,163,871 times
Reputation: 20040

Advertisements

You, too, could be sued for thousands of dollars by the major record companies — even if you've never once illegally downloaded music.

That's because at least one lawyer for the Recording Industry Association of America, the Big Four record companies' lobbying arm and primary legal weapon, considers the copying of songs from your own CDs to your own computer, for your own personal use, to be just as illegal as posting them online for all to share, according to a federal lawsuit filed in Arizona.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,319276,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2008, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,724 posts, read 29,324,467 times
Reputation: 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
You, too, could be sued for thousands of dollars by the major record companies — even if you've never once illegally downloaded music.

That's because at least one lawyer for the Recording Industry Association of America, the Big Four record companies' lobbying arm and primary legal weapon, considers the copying of songs from your own CDs to your own computer, for your own personal use, to be just as illegal as posting them online for all to share, according to a federal lawsuit filed in Arizona.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,319276,00.html
That's what I read on the news recently. Not only that, but the record companies want to make illegal even loading your own music CD's to your computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 37,797,051 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's what I read on the news recently. Not only that, but the record companies want to make illegal even loading your own music CD's to your computer.
That may backfire against RIAA; it is legal to record your own TV shows, etc.

Such a law would in effect make iPods and any other recorder illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
You, too, could be sued for thousands of dollars by the major record companies — even if you've never once illegally downloaded music.

That's because at least one lawyer for the Recording Industry Association of America, the Big Four record companies' lobbying arm and primary legal weapon, considers the copying of songs from your own CDs to your own computer, for your own personal use, to be just as illegal as posting them online for all to share, according to a federal lawsuit filed in Arizona.

FOXNews.com - Lawyer: Ripping MP3s Illegal, Grounds for Lawsuit - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News
This could well be their undoing. If people can't listen to the music they buy in a convenient manner, they will simply stop buying it.

I used to purchase dozens if not hundreds of music CDs every year, and the music collection I've been amassing since the late 1970's (first as LPs, and later on as CDs) is squeaky-clean legal. But I've not purchased many new CDs at all over the past five years. Why? Because the music industry apparently considers me a thief even though I've personally put tens of thousands of dollars in their pockets. Why else would they force me to run through DRM hoops to use their products?

Analog music has had a fair use exception in the US for many years (see the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992), and even digital CD-to-CD copying is explicitly legal in some contexts (the Philips CDR770 CD burner that I purchased many years ago, for example, is a stereo component which was explicitly created to make legal CD copies as well as digital copies of music obtained from analog sources. It uses special marked Digital Audio CD blanks with a special logo that have a 3% royalty already attached to them (mandated by the aforementioned AHRA of 1992)).

We may end up seeing a royalty attached to MP3 player prices and such, who knows? But suing the customer base? That's just stupid. I know my rights as a consumer, and I plan on exercising those rights. If the industry doesn't provide me with a solution that I like, I will simply stop supporting that industry. I already have a few thousand CDs, so it's not like I'm running out of stuff to listen to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,323 posts, read 13,645,032 times
Reputation: 4886
Since when is it illegal to make duplicates of things you paid for?

Honestly, there's numbers of CDs that I own that I will never put into a player. Well, I put them in a player once. And that was to duplicate them - that way I would be playing a copy instead of possibly scratching the original. And if the copy was overused and didn't work, just make another duplicate from the computer.

I also compile personalized CDs from music I compiled from many CDs.

This is ridiculous - a serious downturn in our society. Attacking the consumer is the worst. And this lawyer needs to be hung by his earlopes while everyone who's ever made a copy gets to peg him with a copy of whatever CD they want. He's a money hungry jerkwad.

I think America needs to unwad its pretentious panties. Other countries don't do this - in fact in certain record artists will actually promote the download of their music. Why? So you'll go to a concert! So you'll buy the shirt! So what if they're "losing" $.01 per song downloaded. If they get a FAN BASE, that is the important aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I think America needs to unwad its pretentious panties. Other countries don't do this - in fact in certain record artists will actually promote the download of their music. Why? So you'll go to a concert! So you'll buy the shirt! So what if they're "losing" $.01 per song downloaded. If they get a FAN BASE, that is the important aspect.
The problem isn't America -- it's corporate America, and it's the politicians that some large companies and certain industries seem to have in their back pockets.

Microsoft didn't get off with just a wrist slap (after losing the DOJ case) for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 24,033,290 times
Reputation: 4911
We all need to learn legal procedure so we can fight back. Just tie them up in court with useless motions while we countersue. This is another reason I am trying to get with the movement to create a free, public database of caselaw. Next we need to hold judges accountable. Finally how about a one-year boycott of all RIAA associated music?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
We all need to learn legal procedure so we can fight back. Just tie them up in court with useless motions while we countersue. This is another reason I am trying to get with the movement to create a free, public database of caselaw. Next we need to hold judges accountable. Finally how about a one-year boycott of all RIAA associated music?
What we need is a Groklaw equivalent for RIAA/MPAA-related lawsuits. There might be one already, I dunno...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 09:27 PM
 
1,444 posts, read 2,572,590 times
Reputation: 2049
How do they plan on enforcing this? File sharers get caught because they can be tracked through ip address and such. If someone rips a cd to their computer and never share the files, how do they plan on catching them? Are they going to start interrogating every person who has an ipod?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 32,194,894 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
How do they plan on enforcing this? File sharers get caught because they can be tracked through ip address and such. If someone rips a cd to their computer and never share the files, how do they plan on catching them? Are they going to start interrogating every person who has an ipod?
Its the implants we all have, ya know, they upload what we have been doing while we sleep..... seriously, wish they could concentrate on keeping up with technology, rather than slinging DRM's all over the place and trying to tell us what to do with our own legally purchased music, and bullying us to keep us in line.
I just read that Microsoft's Zune MP3 player puts a DRM on every piece of music that is loaded onto it, even if music already has DRM, is this really true?

Last edited by kshe95girl; 01-02-2008 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: misspell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:31 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top