U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 09:56 PM

548 posts, read 1,066,292 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of things to scan with little spare time. Would appreciate suggestions or recommendations for the Make and Model of the Fastest home scanner to buy?
Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 10:09 PM

14,391 posts, read 21,075,024 times
Amazon.com: Epson WorkForce DS-510 Color Document Scanner: Electronics

Old 11-07-2014, 10:37 PM

18,566 posts, read 55,493,012 times
If you want fast, consider making a copy stand and using a camera. The resolution of cameras is now comparable to or better than a lot of scanning requirements. Back in the 1970s I used to use left over kodalith to make my own microfiche. Digital photography would make it even faster and easier.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:42 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,497,278 times
Depends on what you need to scan. If it's documents, you could just take it all to Kinkos/FedEx or your office or anywhere there's a copier with scan-to-email/usb capability.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Depends on what you need to scan. If it's documents, you could just take it all to Kinkos/FedEx or your office or anywhere there's a copier with scan-to-email/usb capability.
Both photos and documents.

Thanks for the link davebarnes. But I was really wanting recommendations for Brands and Models so I can do a comparison of a few before I decide on what I want. Then I will check out the "where" to purchase it.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:26 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
What is your budget?
What format do you want to save them into, JPEG, PDF?
Do you need to do two sided, do you want to keep the documents in a database?
Do you need a Flatbed scanner or sheet fed?

Old 11-08-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
What is your budget?
What format do you want to save them into, JPEG, PDF?
Do you need to do two sided, do you want to keep the documents in a database?
Do you need a Flatbed scanner or sheet fed?
Budget: pretty tight.
Format: Both pdf and jpg for documents and photos
One sided is fine
Definately a Flatbed. That's what I've been using now. I have a Cannon IDE 210 and am happy with it except for the fact that to do as much as I have, I may like a faster model.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to post suggesstions. It's much appreciated.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:53 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,330,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
One sided is fine
Definately a Flatbed. That's what I've been using now. I have a Cannon IDE 210 and am happy with it except for the fact that to do as much as I have, I may like a faster model.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to post suggesstions. It's much appreciated.

Most flatbed scanners are a little slow, but some software that are easy to use speed up the process. There are lot of good scanners out there, and the best can be quite expensive. Several years ago I bought an Epson V700 flatbed scanner, but I did not use the software provided, except for the Epson driver, and bought VueScan Pro. It is very easy to use, and if you want it takes you step-by step through a photo scan, or you can choose to use the advanced mode if you like.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:03 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
In addition to speed consider a legal size scanner. When I made a family CD that's what I used. It won't speed up the full-size document process, but for pictures or smaller objects I placed as many as possible on the bed then separated them in a paint program (Paint Shop Pro for me). Turning them sideways to get them to fit on the scanner isn't a consideration because they can be rotated in the software.

Separating them in the program was a lot faster than scanning individually, and I did a batch of them on the scanner then switched to separation.

It really sped things up, but it's still a long process. I did just under 2000 images over a winter. In addition I added our genealogy file, a program to read it, a picture viewer, etc. And instructions for how to access everything. I also made a collage for the CD, which was a printable CD.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:56 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
One sided is fine

Speed is a feature that you are going to have to pay for. You might want to consider having two scanners if you want to save money. A new faster sheet feed scanner and keep your existing for the flatbed stuff. Something to consider is scanner companies don't make money on you after you buy one, where as a multifunction printer manufacturers make money on the ink or toner. The business model of giving away the shaver for free to sell the blades. Consider getting a new multifunction device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or