U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,902 posts, read 33,639,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I don't like the DJ "cutting in" to the beginning of the song, talking during the introduction as if that "drum fill" or whatever is irrelevant just because no one is singing. If I want to hear the weather forecast, I'll fire up Weatherbug, thank you very much. If I want to know the background of a song and/or its singer, I'll look it up on Wikipedia.
I listen to streaming music and radio in the car, during my commute. In my city, it's about to be illegal to use a handheld phone for anything but calling, as long as you're operating your vehicle on a public roadway. Loading up Weatherbug or looking up an artist on Wikipedia won't be a legal option while I'm driving anymore and those things aren't something that anyone who is driving and in motion should do anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 08:41 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
I do both. Listen to my own stuff but some times at work I fire up (the free) Pandora. I've found a lot of new artists on Pandora and I usually wind up buying some of their stuff. It's a great way to find new bands.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:58 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
I mostly stream music that I've stored in the cloud, instead of from services like Pandora. I like the idea of streaming services, but the sound quality is abysmal.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:58 AM

4,362 posts, read 9,513,046 times
I pay $9.99/month for Spotify unlimited and that gives me access to over 20 million songs. So basically for $120 per year I "own" 20 million songs. If I had to purchase MP3's at $1 or more apiece, that only gets me 120 songs per year, as opposed to 20 million I get with streaming. Spotify also let's you store up to 3,000 songs onto any device so you don't always need to be connected to the internet.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:00 AM

4,362 posts, read 9,513,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I mostly stream music that I've stored in the cloud, instead of from services like Pandora. I like the idea of streaming services, but the sound quality is abysmal.
If you subscribe to a service like Spotify they let you choose higher quality streaming. I listen through my stereo and it sounds great.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:14 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,574,575 times
I use Spotify currently. I've been downloading music since the 90's and have managed to come up with a very extensive mp3 library over time and it's organized to an OCD person's complete satisfaction.

Why did I switch?

My library required constant attention and upkeep in order to remain interesting. I'm not one to listen to the very same songs over and over even if my library is in the thousands.

Discovery: Finding new music can be done with a radio, or I can simply use the same program and stream the radio. There are premade playlists curated to different tastes and you should be able to locate one to fit you.

Ease of Use: When I'm listening to music and I find a song I want to keep I simply add it to one of the available playlists that I have created... when I get home on WiFi the song automatically downloads and no longer chews up data.

Ease of Use 2: Whenever I used to want a song I would have to search for it online, then adjust the tag information, organize it into a folder and if need be download the album artwork. There were many times when the song was bad, or low quality, and it would require me to find another copy... time consuming!

Legality: It's legal. It hasn't stopped me in the past, but using a service legally that just happens to make my life easier has a bit of a "sweetness" to it.

Streaming is the new way of doing music. If new music comes out or anything I have not heard of, I almost immediately will have high quality 320k access to it!

Old 11-10-2014, 09:49 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,203,576 times
I'm fine with the OPTION of streaming (certainly people should be able to choose), I just don't want it to become so dominant, where downloading is seen as "so yesterday" or whatever, that downloading then becomes something you can't easily do any longer (again, ability to choose).

Also, I like "unofficial" outlets for obtaining music, because you get things you don't otherwise vs only being able to hear what the record companies dictate. I have an MP3 file of a Steven Wright bit, in it he tells jokes I haven't heard him repeat anywhere else, I know it's him because there are other portions of it containing jokes of his I HAVE heard in other places. I believe it's one someone created from recording a concert of his at their seat. I downloaded it years ago using peer-to-peer.

I can't find that clip via the "official" route in anyway, and I do obtain "official" MP3s the "proper" way via Amazon very frequently. (I refuse to use any service with DRM.) How else would I obtain that performance, and if I depended on streaming (not that such a file would ever find its way into Amazon MP3 or Spotify anyway), it could be yanked at any moment. Downloaded, they can never take it away from me. It is MINE.

"I like hearing what an artist is up to and I can't use Wikipedia to do so while driving." I guess I'm weird, but I'm very "purist" in that I don't want to hear ANYTHING but the song itself. NOTHING. Zero, zilch, nada. I would rather a song no longer exist EVER vs having to hear it with even 0.0002 seconds of a DJ taking during the song. Do it right, as in NO TALKING, or don't do it at all. (I can be pretty intensely serious about that, too. I'm the same way when watching a DVD, and my wife wants to yap yap the entire time about the various characters and what's going on. I have told her NICELY how I don't like a lot of talking during the show, several times. Once she started yapping AGAIN, and I turned the DVD off, took the batteries out of the remote, and threw them across the room and was yelling "I SAID NO TALKING!!!!" She now either watches them by herself and talks all she wants while I go to another room, or we watch it together and she remains quiet the ENTIRE TIME.)

I think of songs like "The Knife" by Genesis, which has almost an entire minute of instrumentation and no vocals before Peter Gabriel starts belting out "tell me my life is about to begin, tell me that I'm a hero." If this were played on the radio, they'd be talking the ENTIRE time prior to Peter Gabriel's singing, totally "tainting" and ruining the song. I want to smash the DJ's head through a brick wall when they do that, I'm like SHUT UP!!!!!!!

Further, if I want to know the weather, I'll fire up "Weatherbug" on my phone. If I want to hear the news, I'll go to Yahoo. Again, if I'm curious what an artist is up to these days, I'll look them up on Wikipedia later on. When I'm listening to the music, that ALONE is what I want to do, NOTHING ELSE.

Heck, it's why I want to own the song, so I don't have to EVER hear those loud-mouths flap their gums during the song ever again. In fact, I even become upset at how DVDs want to lock you out from skipping the FBI warnings and the production company logo "bragging" they do at the beginning, enough that I'm known to copy a DVD and remove everything but the title -and throw out the original DVD altogether, replaced with the "altered" one that has none of that junk.

Also, I do like discovering new music, but that's something I do "in the background" somewhat. Once I hear a song I like, I mark it down and get it later--and play the heck out of it. Most of my listening not in the background is deliberate listening. I get a certain song on my mind, that's what I want to hear. Now. Immediately. No commercials, no DJ, and no changes to the song from last time because someone got upset at Taylor Swift saying "I'll tell them you're gay" or whatever. I can see using Spotify if you're doing more "routine" listening "in the background" but you still want SOME control over the content but without having to change tracks or songs frequently, and yes, that sort of listening is often how "discovering" new music happens.

Last edited by shyguylh; 11-10-2014 at 10:01 AM..

Old 11-10-2014, 10:13 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,574,575 times
You should try out Spotify. There aren't any edits to the music and you can use it for free (with commercials every few songs are so). The music is of the purest quality streaming can provide and are all sourced from the original FLAC material. Most streaming services will provide both the original and edited versions of their songs.

You can STILL download stuff. There's a whole section of Japanese music that I have that I cannot find on Spotify, I downloaded this material and ADDED it to my playlist. Spotify natively plays these songs within the player alongside any of their own content as if they had it available in their selection in the first place (one thing I LOVE about this program).

Old 11-10-2014, 10:19 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
If you subscribe to a service like Spotify they let you choose higher quality streaming. I listen through my stereo and it sounds great.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try them out.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:26 AM

40,255 posts, read 41,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post

Legality: It's legal. It hasn't stopped me in the past, but using a service legally that just happens to make my life easier has a bit of a "sweetness" to it.
You can legally make copies of any music you have purchased such as CD's or downloads as long as it's for your own personal use and not protected by DRM. That is not going to apply to streaming because the license is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers