U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:30 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,575,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can legally make copies of any music you have purchased such as CD's or downloads as long as it's for your own personal use and not protected by DRM. That is not going to apply to streaming because the license is different.
That's the thing, I'm not about to go to the store and spend $10 on a CD for 4 or 5 songs that I enjoy maximum and I'm also not about to go online to purchase music at $1 a pop (I enjoy thousands of songs).

I wouldn't spend money on compressed music when I could buy a CD at FLAC quality, but buying CD's are expensive as well. Solution: Download or Stream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 11:37 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,205,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
You should try out Spotify. There aren't any edits to the music and you can use it for free (with commercials every few songs are so). The music is of the purest quality streaming can provide and are all sourced from the original FLAC material. Most streaming services will provide both the original and edited versions of their songs.

You can STILL download stuff. There's a whole section of Japanese music that I have that I cannot find on Spotify, I downloaded this material and ADDED it to my playlist. Spotify natively plays these songs within the player alongside any of their own content as if they had it available in their selection in the first place (one thing I LOVE about this program).
Yes, as long as I can still download stuff, even if it's in different places than Napster or Frostwire, then I'm good. (Again, "official" content, I tend to download via Amazon MP3.)

You mentioned Spotify having commercials "every few songs or so." That would have to be, um, maybe every 30 songs or so to be "few" to me. If you mean it's like every 3 or so, that is WAY WAY too often for me. WAY too often.

If you can add your own stuff to their playlist, that would be good. I do like the idea of one having their library itself also available to any device they own very easily, vs having to copy the files to every device--so long as that service doesn't become anal about checking every device for authenticity or the like. I don't like those types of aggravations, no matter the reason for them. That other people pirate shouldn't be a reason for ME to have to jump through hoops to PROVE that I'm not one.

I do consider the streaming services to be a possibility for LEARNING and DISCOVERING new material, or for providing a "mix" in the background when you're too occupied to babysit the player or the like.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:40 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,973,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I'm the same way when watching a DVD, and my wife wants to yap yap the entire time about the various characters and what's going on. I have told her NICELY how I don't like a lot of talking during the show, several times. Once she started yapping AGAIN, and I turned the DVD off, took the batteries out of the remote, and threw them across the room and was yelling "I SAID NO TALKING!!!!"

Wow. I am quite famous for being the "movie nazi" with my family and friends and how annoyed I get when people get chatty during a movie I am really into... but throwing batteries? Seriously? I always manage to get my point across without throwing things or pissing anyone off....
Stop that.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:04 PM

3,587 posts, read 2,575,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Yes, as long as I can still download stuff, even if it's in different places than Napster or Frostwire, then I'm good. (Again, "official" content, I tend to download via Amazon MP3.)

You mentioned Spotify having commercials "every few songs or so." That would have to be, um, maybe every 30 songs or so to be "few" to me. If you mean it's like every 3 or so, that is WAY WAY too often for me. WAY too often.

If you can add your own stuff to their playlist, that would be good. I do like the idea of one having their library itself also available to any device they own very easily, vs having to copy the files to every device--so long as that service doesn't become anal about checking every device for authenticity or the like. I don't like those types of aggravations, no matter the reason for them. That other people pirate shouldn't be a reason for ME to have to jump through hoops to PROVE that I'm not one.

I do consider the streaming services to be a possibility for LEARNING and DISCOVERING new material, or for providing a "mix" in the background when you're too occupied to babysit the player or the like.
I'm actually not sure how often the commercials are because I've always paid the subscription fee $9.99 because of the higher quality music and the ability to store music offline w/ no commercials. Maybe someone here with the free service can chime in to answer that question

Old 11-10-2014, 04:15 PM

9,088 posts, read 6,400,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It restores a revenue stream they lost with the onslaught of digital music. In the past there was always the next format and the old formats inevitably lost their quality(cassette), got scratched(vinyl) or just plain sucked(8-track). There is many people that have owned multiple copies of the same album. Also keep in mind you couldn't easily make copies of these formats either.

Then came the CD, I've purchased one CD for each album and at this point I no longer really purchase anything. Certainly illegal file sharing has had an impact on sales but legitimate sales are going to be way off as well because the music no longer has "shelf life". The only thing that might entice me to buy new music is DVD audio quality music without any restrictions that has been remastered as close to the original recording as possible..... I'm not holding my breath. Once something like that is on the market it's never going to improve after that.

By streaming you can reintroduce that revenue stream of reselling the same thing to the consumer over and over.
Bingo! It's all about the revenue stream for the peddlers.

Those consumers who have been convinced that subscriptions are in their interest are the same ones who Best Buy can always count on to buy the extended warranty.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:41 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,709,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Bingo! It's all about the revenue stream for the peddlers.

Those consumers who have been convinced that subscriptions are in their interest are the same ones who Best Buy can always count on to buy the extended warranty.
Completely wrong.

Subscriptions are in my best interest because I like to listen to large variety of music. Why should I pay orders of magnitude more just so I can have a copy of it sitting on a hard drive, especially for things I won't listen to over the long term?

It's bears exactly zero similarity to buying an extended warranty. One is a total ripoff. The other provides a useful service for a small fee.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:49 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,682,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Completely wrong.

Subscriptions are in my best interest because I like to listen to large variety of music. Why should I pay orders of magnitude more just so I can have a copy of it sitting on a hard drive, especially for things I won't listen to over the long term?

It's bears exactly zero similarity to buying an extended warranty. One is a total ripoff. The other provides a useful service for a small fee.
Exactly. Between the wife and I we'd pay a substantial amount more money to buy the music we get through our streaming service.

And I'd almost never buy an extended warranty.

Last edited by Skunk Workz; 11-10-2014 at 05:06 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 AM

40,290 posts, read 41,836,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
That's the thing, I'm not about to go to the store and spend $10 on a CD for 4 or 5 songs
There is used CD store near where I live, I get them for about $4 or $5. Usually stick to the live or "best of" albums. The only trouble with that place is you can't go there expecting to find a specific album.

In any event I've purchased most of the music I want. I pretty much lost inteest in new acts about the mid 90's.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 AM

40,290 posts, read 41,836,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Completely wrong.

Jason, I've owned numerous copies of some albums. When I was in my very late teens I was buying about 1 cassette every week. I've accumulated most of the music I enjoy repurchased on CD, my costs now are practically 0. 10 years from now it's going to be 0, 40 years from now it's going to be 0.

You're mistaken if you don't think people like me are cutting into their profits. Streaming services will help restore some of that profit.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:58 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,504,745 times
Why Stream Music Vs Downloading It?

First, I've got a buddy - an accomplished musician - who has been collecting LP's since the mid-70's. Two walls of his home are lined, floor to ceiling, solid with shelves of LP's. Akin to downloading, how would one sort through all of that music to find something to listen to?

That aside...

I appreciate most any music, from classical to rap, and would include country. However, the background music of my life is blues rock. And there's more blues rock out there than I could ever have funded for cd's or downloading. I do listen to Pandora and for my four bucks a month I can stream an excellent and constantly changing selection of blues rock over my Roku. If I don't like a particular tune I click on the kill link and it'll never play again. I like something then I can rate it as such and it'll play again some day soon.

For me, streaming is a matter of convenience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers