U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:10 AM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
In any event I've purchased most of the music I want. I pretty much lost inteest in new acts about the mid 90's.
EXACTLY what a Streaming Service (again EVEN A FREE ONE) would do for you: help you discover new music. Seriously.
Drives me nuts when people say that there is no good music today. It's because you gave up looking for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 10:19 AM

4,358 posts, read 9,508,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
You mentioned Spotify having commercials "every few songs or so." That would have to be, um, maybe every 30 songs or so to be "few" to me. If you mean it's like every 3 or so, that is WAY WAY too often for me. WAY too often.
There are 3 levels of Spotify service.

Free - Ads are placed between songs and I believe there is a cap on the total number of hours you can listen per month.

$4.99/month - unlimited commercial-free listening via computer.

$9.99/month - unlimited commercial-free listening via computer AND smartphone/tablet, as well as the ability to download up to 3,000 songs to your phone/tablet for offline listening.

I have the $9.99 service and I use it almost every day.

Expecting commercials to only be every 30 songs is absurd. Assuming each song is 3-4 minutes that's only 1 commercial break every 2 hours. There is no way you would get that from any free service.

Last edited by ansky; 11-13-2014 at 10:45 AM..

Old 11-13-2014, 06:19 PM

197 posts, read 280,238 times
I started subscribing to streaming music services a few years ago and I see it as a great deal. I have too many cases of getting burned by buying CDs where only one or two tracks are any good and the rest are just filler. For the price of a single CD I can have month-long access "all you can eat" access to millions of tracks by hundreds of thousands of artists.

Plus, certain services will let you fill the gaps in their library with your own MP3s. Spotify, for example, does this. Google Play Music (my personal favorite) goes a step forward and lets you upload your MP3s to your own personal online storage. For example, I could rip some of MP3s off a CD I purchased using my computer, upload it to Google, and then stream it instantly on my smartphone, work computer at the office etc. You can even create seamless playlists that combine tracks from the streaming service and your uploaded tracks. It's really very slick.

The other HUGE reason for streaming is the radio functionality. Sure - regular MP3 download services like iTunes recommend artists based on your purchases, but I've discovered so many new artists by listening to the radio playlists generated by Pandora and the like, all without having to invest anything beyond the $10 or so of my monthly subscription.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:32 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,705,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Jason, I've owned numerous copies of some albums. When I was in my very late teens I was buying about 1 cassette every week. I've accumulated most of the music I enjoy repurchased on CD, my costs now are practically 0. 10 years from now it's going to be 0, 40 years from now it's going to be 0.

You're mistaken if you don't think people like me are cutting into their profits. Streaming services will help restore some of that profit.
Streaming services are obviously not for people like you.

Doesn't make people who do make use of the services a bunch of schmucks who can always be counted on to make dumb decisions and buy useless crap, which is what CrownVic95 said.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:20 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,417,475 times
What do you guys think about Grooveshark?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:28 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,573,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
What do you guys think about Grooveshark?
Junk -- filled with illegal copies of files that were collected by years of illegal file sharing. The audio is subpar quality and is frequently filled with errors in the music, parts of songs missing, sometimes radio recordings.

I wouldn't touch Grooveshark with a 10ft pole :-)

Old 11-14-2014, 10:07 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,202,129 times
I will admit, last Thursday, I used Pandora on my phone to provide a "mix" of music in a social situation where my MP3 player was home (and doesn't have speakers anyway). I'm one of those weirdos who uses a stand-alone MP3 player instead of my smartphone, but it's currently broken and, again, I didn't have it with me anyway. Besides, "mixing" the songs would be a hassle, at least for a particular genre.

Understand--this was a situation where I wanted a "mix" of songs from a particular genre. It would be just like a situation where you'd turn a radio on. I did appreciate how there were songs I had heard before which I was familiar with but didn't know the name. I was easily able to see who they were and "share" the information so I could later on obtain the songs.

In situations like that, where you are wanting a "background mix," yes, it was quite handy.

One thing though--someone mentioned how you could download the file for offline listening. The thing, though, is I imagine it's in a "Pandora-specific" format, not MP3. If I downloaded a song, I'd want it to be in MP3 format, wide-open, to do with as I bloody well pleased.

The potential move from that, and the move to where you have to use their service to listen to the song etc, is what I'm not fond of. You see it already in Amazon Kindle with books--I would want the books to be eBooks in PDF format that I could put on any computer, tablet, etc that I want to--and no, I don't care about the company's piracy concerns, I want to be able to do that ANYWAY. Once I've bought it, I want it FULLY, not with "tie-downs" inspired by fear of piracy.

It's a balancing act--the user having total control when it's downloaded, convenience when you outsource "asset management" to a streaming service. I don't mind the option of streaming, in fact after the experience of Thursday I somewhat appreciate it even--but I don't want it to become almost the ONLY thing, much as how there's nary a book I know of that I can buy (yes, buy) electronically and then not be locked into electronic "tie downs" etc. As long as streaming and downloading co-exist side-by-side, much like radio and records/cassettes/CDs etc co-existed side-by-side, and as long as downloaded content isn't subject to a bunch of DRM, then I'm good.

Last edited by shyguylh; 11-14-2014 at 10:21 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 10:21 PM

3,587 posts, read 2,573,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I will admit, last Thursday, I used Pandora on my phone to provide a "mix" of music in a social situation where my MP3 player was home (and doesn't have speakers anyway). I'm one of those weirdos who uses a stand-alone MP3 player instead of my smartphone, but it's currently broken and, again, I didn't have it with me anyway. Besides, "mixing" the songs would be a hassle, at least for a particular genre.

Understand--this was a situation where I wanted a "mix" of songs from a particular genre. It would be just like a situation where you'd turn a radio on. I did appreciate how there were songs I had heard before which I was familiar with but didn't know the name. I was easily able to see who they were and "share" the information so I could later on obtain the songs.

In situations like that, where you are wanting a "background mix," yes, it was quite handy.

One thing though--someone mentioned how you could download the file for offline listening. The thing, though, is I imagine it's in a "Pandora-specific" format, not MP3. If I downloaded a song, I'd want it to be in MP3 format, wide-open, to do with as I bloody well pleased.

The potential move from that, and the move to where you have to use their service to listen to the song etc, is what I'm not fond of. You see it already in Amazon Kindle with books--I would want the books to be eBooks in PDF format that I could put on any computer, tablet, etc that I want to--and no, I don't care about the company's piracy concerns, I want to be able to do that ANYWAY. Once I've bought it, I want it FULLY, not with "tie-downs" inspired by fear of piracy.

It's a balancing act--the user having total control when it's downloaded, convenience when you outsource "asset management" to a streaming service. I don't mind the option of streaming, in fact after the experience of Thursday I somewhat appreciate it even--but I don't want it to become almost the ONLY thing, much as how there's nary a book I know of that I can buy (yes, buy) electronically and then not be locked into electronic "tie downs" etc.
Streaming is a different license. You are effectively "renting" the song

Old 11-14-2014, 11:26 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,092,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
My wife streams because she doesn't want to have to curate her own music collection.

She'd rather have a service pick out music it thinks she will like than take the time to build a collection and move it onto whatever device she listens to music with at that time.

I have a few thousand MP3s on my smartphone, but I still find myself streaming live radio or listening to satellite radio in the car more often than listening to my collection. I like having a voice come on between the songs and tell me what the artist who recorded that 30 year-old song is doing today or tell me that it's going to rain tomorrow.
Same reason streaming movies is popular ;really.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:59 AM

40,209 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
EXACTLY what a Streaming Service (again EVEN A FREE ONE) would do for you: help you discover new music. Seriously.
Drives me nuts when people say that there is no good music today. It's because you gave up looking for it.
Honestly Peregrine, I really have no interest. I'd rather spend the money on a couple of box sets especially if they are live tunes like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN-Kh4eYKD4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers