U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 05:04 AM

40,290 posts, read 41,836,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Doesn't make people who do make use of the services a bunch of schmucks...
Didn't say you were, my only concern is the more popular it becomes the less likely I'll ever see those unrestricted DVD Audio(or similar format) quality discs that haven't been trashed from their original mastering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 10:05 AM

3,720 posts, read 4,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I pay $9.99/month for Spotify unlimited and that gives me access to over 20 million songs. So basically for $120 per year I "own" 20 million songs. If I had to purchase MP3's at $1 or more apiece, that only gets me 120 songs per year, as opposed to 20 million I get with streaming. Spotify also let's you store up to 3,000 songs onto any device so you don't always need to be connected to the internet.
Do you know how that compared to Google Music? I am on the fence about which to purchase. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:11 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,575,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Do you know how that compared to Google Music? I am on the fence about which to purchase. Thanks.
I've tried Google Music twice, once as a beta tester and once after it's official release. As much as i tried to like Google Music, I found it to be clunky (Especially the mobile interface). The music selection is pretty comparable (Spotify has more). The radio algorithm seems to do just an "okay" job... that's not to say that Spotify's is perfect though.

It's the little things in this case. For instance, downloading offline music with Spotify is superbly easier than Google Music by far. The quality coming from Spotify does seem to be higher at 320k. The "playlists" on Google are limited in my opinion and I have trouble finding the ones I want to listen to. The Spotify Desktop app has a "store" of add ons for you to expand your discover-ability where as Google has no such thing.

Google will give you all of the music you want (probably) but Spotify does it better in my opinion.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:43 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,205,672 times
My only reservation about using these services for downloading offline is that they're apt to be DRM files. Can anyone confirm that they are? I would assume if you PURCHASE a track it could be an MP3 file, not a DRM AAC file or the like. Otherwise, I'd be apt to "share" the name so I remember it and then later acquire it via Amazon, which are true MP3 files you can then do anything with you wish.

Another question, as I have been doing some streaming via Pandora lately. What is the amount of bandwidth used? I am guessing it's 2 megabytes per minute, thus about 6 megabytes per 3 minute song, or 8 megabytes per 4 minute song, etc.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
My only reservation about using these services for downloading offline is that they're apt to be DRM files. Can anyone confirm that they are? I would assume if you PURCHASE a track it could be an MP3 file, not a DRM AAC file or the like. Otherwise, I'd be apt to "share" the name so I remember it and then later acquire it via Amazon, which are true MP3 files you can then do anything with you wish.

Another question, as I have been doing some streaming via Pandora lately. What is the amount of bandwidth used? I am guessing it's 2 megabytes per minute, thus about 6 megabytes per 3 minute song, or 8 megabytes per 4 minute song, etc.
The file downloaded will certainly be a DRM laced file. My question to you would be why does it matter unless you are looking to copy the downloaded file into your own library?

Pandora is very very compressed and most people can hear the difference with decent headphones or speakers. Pandora streams their files at 64kbps AAC and decodes locally. The resulting song on average will total about 2.25mb.

Spotify uses OGG for their compression and you can select the quality from 128, 256, or 320kbps (I use 320). The highest bit rate is only available to paid subscribers.

Google uses a higher AAC compression than Pandora and streams at a maximum 256kbps last I checked and will convert any Mp3s you upload into 256kbps in order to stream (not exactly optimal).

Honestly Pandora shouldn't even be considered for anyone that cares about discover-ability or number of songs OR quality of music.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:04 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,205,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
The file downloaded will certainly be a DRM laced file. My question to you would be why does it matter unless you are looking to copy the downloaded file into your own library?
Exactly, I want to OWN the song OUTRIGHT, to do with it as I please, totally unlimited.

Pandora is very very compressed and most people can hear the difference with decent headphones or speakers. Pandora streams their files at 64kbps AAC and decodes locally. The resulting song on average will total about 2.25mb.

Quote:
Spotify uses OGG for their compression and you can select the quality from 128, 256, or 320kbps (I use 320). The highest bit rate is only available to paid subscribers.
256k has always been fine by me, which is what Amazon uses. However, I would like it if 320k were available.

I'm fine with not OWNING when I'm streaming, but if I download, yes, I want it to be as much wide-open mine unlimited as an MP3 file would be, otherwise I want no part of it. It's why I had nothing to do with iTunes when they only did DRM AAC files (and in fact I STILL have nothing to do with them).

Old 11-17-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Exactly, I want to OWN the song OUTRIGHT, to do with it as I please, totally unlimited.

256k has always been fine by me, which is what Amazon uses. However, I would like it if 320k were available.

I'm fine with not OWNING when I'm streaming, but if I download, yes, I want it to be as much wide-open mine unlimited as an MP3 file would be, otherwise I want no part of it. It's why I had nothing to do with iTunes when they only did DRM AAC files (and in fact I STILL have nothing to do with them).
I mean the only advantage in place with downloading the file to your device is that you won't be eating up mobile data which for many people is HUGE. But if it bursts your bubble that much that you can't "own" the song, then just stream away!

Old 11-17-2014, 05:16 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,504,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
EXACTLY what a Streaming Service (again EVEN A FREE ONE) would do for you: help you discover new music. Seriously.
Drives me nuts when people say that there is no good music today. It's because you gave up looking for it.
I'd very much agree with that using a frame of reference from before there was such a thing as streaming.

Late 70's I lived in Houston where there is a Pacifica radio station, KPFT. Every Sunday morning there was a 'Blues' program. Yes, every Sunday I got up at 6 a.m. to listen to three hours of the blues. Blues from the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's. Took a few years but I heard some of the finest music the 20th century had to offer. The killer was the program was followed by 'A musical trot with Lisa Lott', german beer fest music and I can skip the german accordian.

Now I can achieve a like effort by streaming, according to personal preferences. KPFT was free - so to speak. Streaming cost me four bucks a month.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:16 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,682,491 times
Quote:

Google uses a higher AAC compression than Pandora and streams at a maximum 256kbps last I checked and will convert any Mp3s you upload into 256kbps in order to stream (not exactly optimal).

Honestly Pandora shouldn't even be considered for anyone that cares about discover-ability or number of songs OR quality of music.
To add to this ... Rhapsody is WMA (on PC at least), but obviously DRMed. Not sure on the phone, as I play them with the Rhapsody app on the phone, but download my heaviest play lists to ensure that they are available if I lose signal while driving.

The one nice thing on PC about them being WMA, is that I can use Windows Media Player to play them while my wife is logged into the desktop app on her laptop listening.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:24 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,682,491 times
Quote:
I think we've confused two different things.

These are offline downloads from the streaming services, not purchased downloads. Most of these streaming services offer downloads but you don't own them. It's just a way to have offline access to part of the library when you don't have internet.

If I don't log into Rhapsody for two weeks, my offline tracks stop working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers