U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 09:36 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,202,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I think we've confused two different things.

These are offline downloads from the streaming services, not purchased downloads. Most of these streaming services offer downloads but you don't own them. It's just a way to have offline access to part of the library when you don't have internet.

If I don't log into Rhapsody for two weeks, my offline tracks stop working.
See, that's the thing, I don't want to deal with any of that. I want the songs to be as unrestricted and as untied down as a record or MP3 file. Otherwise, I want no part of it if I'm downloading. If I'm doing this new streaming thing for letting someone do my DJing for me for awhile or for learning new songs, I'm not worried about it, but when I am on a mission to get songs specifically, I want to GET them, PERIOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 09:59 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Exactly, I want to OWN the song OUTRIGHT, to do with it as I please, totally unlimited.
That's usually not an option with signed artists.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:22 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
See, that's the thing, I don't want to deal with any of that. I want the songs to be as unrestricted and as untied down as a record or MP3 file. Otherwise, I want no part of it if I'm downloading. If I'm doing this new streaming thing for letting someone do my DJing for me for awhile or for learning new songs, I'm not worried about it, but when I am on a mission to get songs specifically, I want to GET them, PERIOD.
Not sure how new this is, as we've used a Rhapsody sub as our primary music source for about a decade.

We don't primarily use it for music discovery, or as a radio station, but as a way to have a nearly unlimited library of music.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:24 PM

26,943 posts, read 33,869,614 times
Quote:
I guess everyone is different, but I've never found the handling of storage files to be a huge pain, and in fact it's easy for me to think that those who find it to be are, well, kind of inept or lazy to be blunt. But then, I suppose we're all different--after all, am I "lazy" because I purchase canned chicken broth instead of making it however you make it, or for buying chicken breasts in the store instead of raising my own chickens and doing all that entails?

I also sure as heck don't want to hear any commercials, ever ever ever. I don't like the DJ "cutting in" to the beginning of the song, talking during the introduction as if that "drum fill" or whatever is irrelevant just because no one is singing. If I want to hear the weather forecast, I'll fire up Weatherbug, thank you very much. If I want to know the background of a song and/or its singer, I'll look it up on Wikipedia.

I don't mind that the OPTION exists, I only care because--and maybe this is just talk--but they make it sound like one day you won't even be able to download a song anymore, you will HAVE to stream it, and I don't want any part of that. Everyone else can be as different as they want until it now means I have to do what they're doing when I want to OWN the song myself.
I agree. I don't really care much for streaming. I do it occasionally when I am at the gym, if my mp3 player dies, but really I prefer my own music - listening to exactly what I want to hear. I want to own the song, and place it on whatever device I choose.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's usually not an option with signed artists.
It is with Amazon MP3s or ripping the CD.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
It is with Amazon MP3s or ripping the CD.
With those two, you don't own the song to do with what you please. You are licensed to use the song per the licensing agreement and copyright terms.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:56 AM

40,209 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
With those two, you don't own the song to do with what you please. You are licensed to use the song per the licensing agreement and copyright terms.
Any song you have purchased a license for without DRM can be copied as much as you want as long as it's for personal use. Those fall under the Home Recording Act which carves out special provisions from normal copyright law. They can't make licensing agreements that prevent you from doing that.

Having a copy of song that had DRM is not necessarily illegal because of these provisions but it becomes irrelevant with DMCA. It's the act of obtaining it that is illegal because you need to break the copy protection scheme.

It's important to note there is distinct difference between purchasing a song(direct download of a file) and purchasing a streaming service.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Any song you have purchased a license for without DRM can be copied as much as you want as long as it's for personal use. Those fall under the Home Recording Act which carves out special provisions from normal copyright law. They can't make licensing agreements that prevent you from doing that.

Having a copy of song that had DRM is not necessarily illegal because of these provisions but it becomes irrelevant with DMCA. It's the act of obtaining it that is illegal because you need to break the copy protection scheme.

It's important to note there is distinct difference between purchasing a song(direct download of a file) and purchasing a streaming service.
Right... but that doesn't, in any way, translate to

Quote:
Exactly, I want to OWN the song OUTRIGHT, to do with it as I please, totally unlimited.
There are restrictions.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I am well aware of that, and if I may be blunt, I'm finding myself annoyed reading this. (If you didn't mean to annoy me, please accept my apology.)

I am referring to the TECHNICAL aspects of that it's mine to do as you please. I mean that I don't have to deal with DRM headaches of having to use proprietary software to play the file, I can just play it with any normal MP3 software or on an MP3 player (stand-alone or smartphone), I can backup the file to as many PCs or external hard drives as I please period without having to "disable" past devices where they think I'm trying to spread it around, I don't have to log into a service to prove that my account is still active, etc. In a TECHNICAL OPERATIONAL sense, it's mine unlimited.

If a download isn't that, I want no part of it. Streaming--okay, but a purchased track--hands-off.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:20 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
If a download isn't that, I want no part of it. Streaming--okay, but a purchased track--hands-off.
We aren't talking about purchasing these.

We are talking about streaming services that allow you to bring a copy of the song locally so that you can "stream" it while offline.

I'm in complete agreement with you on purchases, but what I'm downloading from my streaming service isn't a purchase. I'm not buying any music, and I'm not paying extra for the feature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers