U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 02:19 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,205,672 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if this is the place to post this, but I have read recently about how there is a trend for music to be offered as "streaming" more and as downloaded files less. For the life of me, I can't figure out why in the world someone would prefer streaming.

For one, as Taylor Swift's recent move shows, one day it could be there, the next day--gone. It can be "yanked" at any time. Or if a particular song becomes controversial and the record company or artist etc is pressured to "sanitize" the song (like Michael Jackon's "They Don't Care About Us" where he had originally said "Jew Me Sue Me Everybody Do Me/Kick Me, K`i-k`e Me/Don't You Black or White Me" but then he was pressured to change it to something else), you can no longer get it as it originally was recorded before political correctness pressures were applied to the song.

Also, you MUST be online to hear the song, so if you are somewhere that your connection is spotty, it complicates matters. With it on your device, that is NEVER an issue. Also, you now don't have to concern yourself with bandwidth usage that way.

The collection of MP3s I've acquired--they are forever with me. They are going nowhere. I don't have to worry that any of those artists will do like Taylor Swift and decide to yank their material off of Spotify. Once it's on my hard drive, and backed up to any number of other hard drives and memory cards etc, it's going nowhere.

In fact, in a similar vein, I've learned how to download videos as MP4 files which are hosted on sites like YouTube. Sure enough, there have been times I've done so only to later on find that the original video on YouTube was now gone. Thus, I'd no longer be able to see the video again if I depended on that. However, having downloaded it as an MP4 file, I now will forever and ever have that video regardless of such decisions.

The only advantage I see to streaming is that you don't have to deal with any hassles of managing a collection of files, backing up, tagging etc. That's it. Otherwise, I just don't see the point, and it seems like you're allowing someone else to manage your "collection," yet the reality is, you don't really have a collection. You only do if you actually have your own copy of the song on your hard drive that nobody can touch.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 04:16 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,898,743 times
I just use the "analog hole" to create a local copy of such things when all other options and techniques fail. I have access to sophisticated enough equipment to do this with nearly zero loss in sound quality or increase in background noise levels. Once I have the WAV file I encode it as FLAC and I'm good to go.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:31 AM

40,290 posts, read 41,836,137 times
It restores a revenue stream they lost with the onslaught of digital music. In the past there was always the next format and the old formats inevitably lost their quality(cassette), got scratched(vinyl) or just plain sucked(8-track). There is many people that have owned multiple copies of the same album. Also keep in mind you couldn't easily make copies of these formats either.

Then came the CD, I've purchased one CD for each album and at this point I no longer really purchase anything. Certainly illegal file sharing has had an impact on sales but legitimate sales are going to be way off as well because the music no longer has "shelf life". The only thing that might entice me to buy new music is DVD audio quality music without any restrictions that has been remastered as close to the original recording as possible..... I'm not holding my breath. Once something like that is on the market it's never going to improve after that.

By streaming you can reintroduce that revenue stream of reselling the same thing to the consumer over and over.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:48 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,682,491 times
Honestly, it's about value and ease of use.

I pay 9.99 a month for Rhapsody, and can stream anything in their library. That's via a PC, web, or a phone app, so my music goes everywhere with me.

They also have an option to download local copies. This solves the issue of streaming with a spotty connection, or limited bandwidth.

In the 8 or 9 years that we've been using this service, only a handful of albums that I've cared about have been pulled, and I just wait for them to come back, or buy a copy if it's really important.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,905 posts, read 33,646,478 times
My wife streams because she doesn't want to have to curate her own music collection.

She'd rather have a service pick out music it thinks she will like than take the time to build a collection and move it onto whatever device she listens to music with at that time.

I have a few thousand MP3s on my smartphone, but I still find myself streaming live radio or listening to satellite radio in the car more often than listening to my collection. I like having a voice come on between the songs and tell me what the artist who recorded that 30 year-old song is doing today or tell me that it's going to rain tomorrow.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:51 AM

14,210 posts, read 10,319,967 times
Because, you don't have to handle the storage and organization of music files.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:37 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
I do it because I don't want to be a DJ. I didn't mind the commercials until Pandora switched to Spanish commercials, so I swiched to iheart radio.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:26 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,709,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Because, you don't have to handle the storage and organization of music files.
This.

Plus it's a lot cheaper. $10/month for unlimited streaming of whatever I want to hear, vs. $10/album or so to own it. I might listen to two or three or ten new albums in a day with a streaming service. If I had to pay $10 each for them, I wouldn't be listening to anywhere near that much new (to me) material.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:55 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,205,672 times
I guess everyone is different, but I've never found the handling of storage files to be a huge pain, and in fact it's easy for me to think that those who find it to be are, well, kind of inept or lazy to be blunt. But then, I suppose we're all different--after all, am I "lazy" because I purchase canned chicken broth instead of making it however you make it, or for buying chicken breasts in the store instead of raising my own chickens and doing all that entails?

I also sure as heck don't want to hear any commercials, ever ever ever. I don't like the DJ "cutting in" to the beginning of the song, talking during the introduction as if that "drum fill" or whatever is irrelevant just because no one is singing. If I want to hear the weather forecast, I'll fire up Weatherbug, thank you very much. If I want to know the background of a song and/or its singer, I'll look it up on Wikipedia.

I don't mind that the OPTION exists, I only care because--and maybe this is just talk--but they make it sound like one day you won't even be able to download a song anymore, you will HAVE to stream it, and I don't want any part of that. Everyone else can be as different as they want until it now means I have to do what they're doing when I want to OWN the song myself.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:04 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,562,468 times
I'm always online and if I'm not, I'm probably not in a situation where I would be listening to music. If I'm on a flight or something that doesn't have wifi, I will drop a couple movies on my phone or something. I don't sit and solely listen to music, it's almost exclusively background while I'm doing something else.

For me, streaming is a hundred times better than managing my own library. I don't like listening to the same things over and over, I like variety (by that I mean I'd have terrabytes of music that I wouldn't mind listening to, if I had to download it all. modern and classic country, pop, rap, edm, classic rock, punk, ska, screamo, death metal, metalcore, post-hardcore, alternative, jazz, a cappella, classical, symphonic (game music), etc.). My tastes are too diverse to bother downloading and pruning and maintaining a collection.

I pay 30 bucks a year for pandora to handle my music for me. It's unlimited and quality is good enough. The app works on my phone (and shows meta data and skip functions in my car's infotainment system), works on pc, works on my chromecast, etc. No downside for me. If I want to listen to specific songs, I'll hit youtube, but it's rare that I would want to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers