U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 11:49 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,130,178 times

Advertisements

Apple recently changed the process by which you set up Genius Bar appointments and it is beyond aggravating!
They make you click through pages of troubleshooting tips before they give you the link to make an appointment . If your issue is not listed, you STILL don't get a link to the Genius Bar appointment scheduler, you get a link to call customer support.

I love Apple and love Apple products but the Genius bar SUCKS! From this new online scheduling nonsense to the fact that if you show up 5 minutes late, they cancel your appointment, yet if you are on time, you often have to wait 30 minutes to an hour before anyone sees you because they overbook like crazy.

But holy CHRIST this new process to click through thirty odd screens of useless troubleshooting advice so you can finally make an appointment is the worst!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 08:11 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,973,633 times
Yea, that whole Genius bar is total BS, I agree. Always has been IMO.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:13 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,378,303 times
Actually the genius bar has been extremely helpful in my experience. But this change sucks, we all knew apple would go downhill after Jobs died.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:46 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
On Saturday I used the website to schedule an appointment at the bar without a problem.
I just checked today and am able to get a Visit the Genius Bar link in a few clicks. It ask me to log in, current location, then presented with location options and times.
Attached Thumbnails
Apple really made setting Genius bar appointments an aggravation!-bar.jpg  

Old 11-12-2014, 10:45 PM

5,702 posts, read 16,485,242 times
If you choose the service or troubleshooting box and then pick an issue that is related to hardware, it puts you to the next screen to set up an appointment at the closest store. I think the reason for the change is there are a lot of people that have a small issue or don't understand how to make a feature work on their phone and set up an appointment. This then takes time away from those that truly need service. The phone support or chat support can help with a lot of issues. I have been in the store getting my phone fixed and sat next to someone that didn't understand how their home button worked. Or was convinced their Mac was broken because iTunes didn't sync when they didn't know they need to update their program. I have always enjoyed the ease of making appointments but I think seeing the genius bar might be over used.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:47 AM

13,332 posts, read 20,382,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
If you choose the service or troubleshooting box and then pick an issue that is related to hardware, it puts you to the next screen to set up an appointment at the closest store. I think the reason for the change is there are a lot of people that have a small issue or don't understand how to make a feature work on their phone and set up an appointment. This then takes time away from those that truly need service. The phone support or chat support can help with a lot of issues. I have been in the store getting my phone fixed and sat next to someone that didn't understand how their home button worked. Or was convinced their Mac was broken because iTunes didn't sync when they didn't know they need to update their program. I have always enjoyed the ease of making appointments but I think seeing the genius bar might be over used.
Spot on! I'm always amazed at the computer experts who have to phone for help, or go in for help for even simple things.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:46 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,973,633 times
Maybe it's just the name I hate: Genius Bar. As an IT Professional it does bother me a little when someone calls me a GENIUS because I know how to add Bullets in Word. LOL

Old 11-13-2014, 01:03 PM

12,441 posts, read 10,913,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Maybe it's just the name I hate: Genius Bar. As an IT Professional it does bother me a little when someone calls me a GENIUS because I know how to add Bullets in Word. LOL
I think in this case it's like those really fat guys who are nicknamed "Slim"

Old 10-21-2015, 12:36 PM

6 posts, read 11,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Apple recently changed the process by which you set up Genius Bar appointments and it is beyond aggravating! !
Apple is at this point a criminal empire. They charge about two times more than competitor for the gear. I have a Retina MBP. 16G RAM, SSD, etc. And I just got the big fat FU from the poorly dressed and poorly groomed and inarticulate person at the genius bar intake. First off its hard to find the guy, as all the clowns in the store look the same. I had a failed test report for the system and just needed to drop it off for repair, they dont do dropoffs. Their online idiot intake system says the appointments are a week away? I need this bloody laptop fixes ASAP, I need to drop it off today and pick it up whenever these cretins get around to fixing it. Anyways, I have a failure report, I tried to get an appointment online and that failed (website gave an oops sorry message), and then the genius bar intake person is literally going to make me wait 2 hours to drop the bloody laptop off.

Please, crApple, keep in mind that laptops at half this $3000 dollar price point have onsite services 8x5 or even 7x24 for an upcharge. This only doing service through these overcrowded stores with hipster rats infesting them is beyond disgusting.

I find it interesting how apple uses child slave labor in China, charges a huge premium and has relatively shoddy products (my old thinkpads never failed this much - I have a thinkpad t61 running windows 10 from 2008 still) and cant even take my laptop as a dropoff.

This apple scam is such a criminal empire. I need to use their products mainly due to keyboard finger memory and the trackpad is superior for mouse free operation but man I wish someone would make a decent clone of these - I dont even really care if I have to run linux or windows - OS X isnt that great - these criminals need to be stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or