U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 07:22 PM

40,209 posts, read 41,799,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
So was I - had 4 or 5 of them as they kept dying on me.
We used to put fans under them, had the same one for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 06:37 AM

9,059 posts, read 6,392,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Yeah, I had several I bought for parts and a book to service it. I got the games/apps from a mail order software house and they're good stuff. Most of them were cracked.

Here's the games on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY2gK1MPgh8
That video is a reminder to me that I never even scratched the surface of all the C64 games that were available. Most of those I had never seen....and that was by design. Shooters and the like are a dime a dozen and leave me cold. I always went for the simulation, strategy, and sports games.

My favorites were....

Acrojet
Chuck Yeager's Flight Trainer
F-15 Strike Eagle
Flight Simulator II
Hardball!
Kennedy Approach
Leaderboard
Out Run
Pitstop
Pole Position
Project: Stealth Fighter
Red Storm Rising
Solo Flight

Paperboy was one my kids liked and asked me to get for them and it was fun, too.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:21 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,765,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
So was I - had 4 or 5 of them as they kept dying on me. I loved them nonetheless and learned so much from them - programming, spreadsheets, all kinds of stuff - and some of those games were better conceptually than much of what is produced today.

Fond memories.
Exactly! Learning (and teaching others) how computers work was so so so easy. The logic was in-your-face simple with BASIC and DOS once the languages were learned -- and the inch-thick book listing commands was always convenient (as opposed to the four-inch thick book I bought to learn Java). I learned how to program and became the family guru. Life was great with humans controlling every moment of the computer's workings. Then came Windows, and I started to learn 3.1, but before I knew that OS inside out and backwards, along came 95, then ME, then Vista, then XP, and well, you all know the progression. So, yeah, I got left in the dust :-)

If I saw a 486 at a yard sale, I'd grab it. For the nostalgia. For the sake of reviving my confidence to remember that I once did understand how computers work and that they worked for me and not the other way around :-) I still have some 5.25 floppies kicking around (some have become coffee mug coasters, but there are others neatly stored in their sleeves). And I still have my BASIC books.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:33 AM

9,059 posts, read 6,392,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Exactly! Learning (and teaching others) how computers work was so so so easy. The logic was in-your-face simple with BASIC and DOS once the languages were learned -- and the inch-thick book listing commands was always convenient (as opposed to the four-inch thick book I bought to learn Java). I learned how to program and became the family guru. Life was great with humans controlling every moment of the computer's workings. Then came Windows, and I started to learn 3.1, but before I knew that OS inside out and backwards, along came 95, then ME, then Vista, then XP, and well, you all know the progression. So, yeah, I got left in the dust :-)

If I saw a 486 at a yard sale, I'd grab it. For the nostalgia. For the sake of reviving my confidence to remember that I once did understand how computers work and that they worked for me and not the other way around :-) I still have some 5.25 floppies kicking around (some have become coffee mug coasters, but there are others neatly stored in their sleeves). And I still have my BASIC books.
Great post - thank you!

I didn't get as far as you did with programming as mine pretty much ended with the 64. But I wrote several graphically simple games for me and the kids that just weren't done commercially. And we had loads of fun.

The part that I highlighted is lost on the kids today, but I hear you and agree. Some of the best software ever written was done in the early days and, generally, it has gone downhill from there. Most of the new stuff that the kids think is such a must have today is designed for no other purpose but to empty their pockets of their last dime.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:15 AM

48 posts, read 56,183 times
You'll like this:

Retro logical increments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers