U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:05 AM

40,290 posts, read 41,836,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
When I've done it, my own comparisons come out with a bigger range (a few hundred dollars).
Last comouter I bought was abut $1300, comparable Mac was about $2300. Two caveats here, mine was custom built, it didn't come assembled. Mine also had USB3 and SATA3 ports which was the biggest difference between the hardware, they didn't have them on the MAC's at the time.

There may be some minor consideration for the graphic artist but overall I think when considering MAC over a Win machine what it comes down to is the OS and "coolness" worth the extra expense. Also keep in mind you giving up a huge library of software especially where open source is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
However, PCs have come a long way in stability than it used to be 20 years ago give or take.
My machines have been almost trouble free since XP. Anytime there is an issue it's always a particular piece of software or hardware.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:04 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,927,634 times
My next question is how to get the best price for a computer for my graphic art hobby? Buying used can save a lot of money maybe from a private buyer on ebay or craigslist but then again who knows what weird stuff may be on the computer it may not be safe, but I do not mind an older model if it does the job, I do not have to have the newest latest thing.

Many say a refurbished is a good deal and now that the holiday season is here so are the great sales though I still do not believe black friday always has the best deals, Christmas sales are great too. I also look for store coupons that come in the mail sometimes, and I notice when the new computers come out the older version goes on sale.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
My next question is how to get the best price for a computer for my graphic art hobby?
Build it yourself, it's really not that hard and as giant bonus you get nice clean install of just Windows.

Barebone Kits | TigerDirect.com

Quote:
Many say a refurbished is a good deal
That's like playing the lottery, it may of just had a scratch on it. Might of had serious issues...

Old 11-20-2014, 11:23 AM

14,391 posts, read 21,075,024 times
Apple refurbished has same warranty as new.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:26 AM

3,036 posts, read 3,378,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Last comouter I bought was abut $1300, comparable Mac was about $2300. Two caveats here, mine was custom built, it didn't come assembled. Mine also had USB3 and SATA3 ports which was the biggest difference between the hardware, they didn't have them on the MAC's at the time.

There may be some minor consideration for the graphic artist but overall I think when considering MAC over a Win machine what it comes down to is the OS and "coolness" worth the extra expense. Also keep in mind you giving up a huge library of software especially where open source is concerned.
What? Pretty much all open source software is on osx.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:09 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Again the price for Dell's 5K monitor is the same as the price for Apple's 5K iMac. So you are getting the Mac for free with the monitor purchase, and the insignificant difference between 8-bit vs 10-bit will not matter too most people serious about graphics.
The price is supposed to drop to $1999 in December.

Most home users will likely not care about the difference between 8bit and 10bit color. But to professional or even an amatuer that is somewhat serious, having accurate color representation is important. This why I always suggest people get a macbook pro, and a decent monitor rather than an iMac. Or just go with a PC and a decent monitor.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:11 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

The OS is a big deal. Especially for those who work in technology. Also, OSX isn't lacking on open source software. It may not have as much as Linux, but it has quite a bit more than Windows (thanks to the Linux community).

Old 11-21-2014, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
What? Pretty much all open source software is on osx.
Firstly I should probably clarify that with free or open source software.

Many really popular ones are but the majority of those projects are only ported to Win or *nix depending on what audience they are aimed at.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
.... but it has quite a bit more than Windows (thanks to the Linux community).
Go look at the vast array of video tools available for Windows compared to MAC. I used to be part of video forum years ago and I'd wander into the MAC forum occasionally. It used to amaze me how much they would struggle with many things where there was simple tool available for Win. I can remeber one particular thread where someone was trying to convert between type-1 and type-2 DV. The only difference between these two is how the audio is stored and there was numerous tools to do it under Win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers