Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 01:41 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,547,860 times

Advertisements

I do graphic art as a hobby, and I have an old mac that needs to be replaced. I also have a fairly new windows laptop. I know mac screen resolutions are really great and that they have a great reputation for graphic art. They are really pretty too but the price even used is very high. Meanwhile I have been told that I can get mostly everything I need on a windows computer for graphic art and photo editing type uses. Anyone agree or disagree?

What about screen brightness how much does that affect things? Some computers are brighter than others . And does photoshop just work better on a mac than a windows computer? Have windows computers caught up in quality for graphic art or not quite yet ? I have heard mixed reviews .

Is mac worth the money anymore? What windows type computers are also good for graphic art? Any advice or first hand experience would be nice . Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 02:07 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Are Macs more expensive than comparable PCs? - HowStuffWorks

I don't now how accurate this is. When I've done it, my own comparisons come out with a bigger range (a few hundred dollars).

That said - it comes down to personal preference. If you just need a computer to surf the web and email friends - yea, a $2k laptop is going to be overpriced no matter who's logo is on it. At the same time, if you have plenty of cash - and you like the look of the mac; how can it be overpriced if that's what you want?

Old 11-14-2014, 02:18 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,133,134 times
I do graphic arts as a profession. For speed and stability Mac is the tool to use. Its OS is superior to a PC period. However, PCs have come a long way in stability than it used to be 20 years ago give or take. As a hobby perhaps the PC is the way to go but if you can afford the Mac for graphics then purchase the Mac. And yes, you can purchase professional grade software for both Mac and PC. Although I prefer the Mac and always will, PC can perform just as well these days. I remember years ago using both platforms in which the PC was absolutely horrible.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:56 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,547,860 times
I have been reading about the new 5k retina display imac it looks amazing but the price is also amazingly high . https://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/

I would buy it if I could afford it but like most new technology the price will come down.

I also see that there are mac retina display computers that have been around for a couple of years now. That should have given pc computers the chance to catch up to the technology . Have they ? Are they still lagging behind ? When did they first start equaling a mac ? What do they still need to improve on ?

I simply cannot shell out that kind of money for a computer and I have also read that some software can't even run with the high resolution displays yet. I do however love the idea of the technology very cool. Maybe you could just connect a pc computer to a high definition tv and use the tv as a monitor ?Would that maybe work in a similar way?

Old 11-14-2014, 09:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
For my use its over price. but for others its worth even if just saying they use one.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:28 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Photoshop is fine on either.

A PC of similar quality to Apple's products costs about the same. Decent build quality and good screens cost money whether the logo on the back is Apple or Lenovo. Plus Apple has a touchpad that is actually pleasant to use, as opposed to the unresponsive, flaky crap on most Windows laptops (this is finally starting to change). Seriously, Apple's touchpad is so good that they sell it as a standalone device and people actually buy it over a mouse.

Also keep in mind if you're looking at high res displays like you'd find in the retina macs, Windows is still pretty terrible at dealing with it. It works properly in metro apps but classic Windows is a mess where not all programs will even acknowledge system settings or scale properly, so you'll wind up with a mix of normal looking programs, fuzzy programs, and programs so tiny you can't see tell what's going on.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:25 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,808,528 times
The most concise answer is: yes and yes.
If you focus on price, then you will buy the least expensive hardware and use Linux.
If you focus on performance (from a graphic artist's perspective), then you will buy a Mac (and price be damned).
Me. I am a Mac bigot.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:27 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I have been reading about the new 5k retina display imac it looks amazing but the price is also amazingly high.
Based on what? A 27-inch: 3.5GHz i5 with Retina 5K display for $2,499 is hella cheap. Dell is charging $2,499 for a a 5K monitor alone. Apple is giving you a a free Mac with the purchase of a display, and you think that is too much?

Old 11-16-2014, 09:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
I do graphic art as a hobby, and I have an old mac that needs to be replaced. I also have a fairly new windows laptop. I know mac screen resolutions are really great and that they have a great reputation for graphic art. They are really pretty too but the price even used is very high. Meanwhile I have been told that I can get mostly everything I need on a windows computer for graphic art and photo editing type uses. Anyone agree or disagree?

What about screen brightness how much does that affect things? Some computers are brighter than others . And does photoshop just work better on a mac than a windows computer? Have windows computers caught up in quality for graphic art or not quite yet ? I have heard mixed reviews .

Is mac worth the money anymore? What windows type computers are also good for graphic art? Any advice or first hand experience would be nice . Thank you
Macs are great for graphic arts. But their screens are horrible for it. The only thing they have going for them is the resolution (which is available on plenty of stand-alone monitors and PCs as well). My suggestion would be to get a solid stand-alone monitor like the HP Z series... or if you need it on a laptop, get something like the ThinkPad W series. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't make displays good for graphics and photo editing (however, you can hook up a HP Z series monitor to it and it works just fine).

Photoshop works just as well on a Mac as it does on a Windows computer. Windows 7 and later is quite a bit at managing memory with applications like Photoshop, so there's some benefit of using a Windows machine there.

Both OSX and Windows 7 and later are stable... with Windows 8.1 being extremely stable.

In other words, both will do. Just don't use an Apple Retina/Cinema display if you're serious about doing any graphics/photo editing work.

The price for the same quality is about the same. PCs go on sale more so you can usually grab a good deal on them. However, OSX offers free upgrades, where you typically have to purchase Windows ugprades.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
I have been reading about the new 5k retina display imac it looks amazing but the price is also amazingly high . https://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/

I would buy it if I could afford it but like most new technology the price will come down.

I also see that there are mac retina display computers that have been around for a couple of years now. That should have given pc computers the chance to catch up to the technology . Have they ? Are they still lagging behind ? When did they first start equaling a mac ? What do they still need to improve on ?

I simply cannot shell out that kind of money for a computer and I have also read that some software can't even run with the high resolution displays yet. I do however love the idea of the technology very cool. Maybe you could just connect a pc computer to a high definition tv and use the tv as a monitor ?Would that maybe work in a similar way?

PC had higher resolution monitors before Apple. Dell introduced a 5k monitor before Apple (maybe others have as well). Apple computers are PCs... so you can use traditional PC monitors with them and you can use Apple Cinemas with PCs. One thing to note is that Apple Cinema displays have horrible color accuracy... but they do have a vivid contrast that looks good with movies.

TVs are low resolution compared to modern monitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers