U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:44 PM

2,792 posts, read 3,699,037 times

Advertisements

I have had ongoing problems w/ my Dell Inspiron for some time now. BSOD, now system restore refuses to even work, can't connect to the Internet. No. $$ to take to a shop. Ran CHDSK, no luck, troubleshooting nor Winows Update or Security Center either, I don't have a Windows 7disc as it came pre-installed. I am a mom & mainly use it to keep up w/ friends & Facebook groups for my disabled child so am really missing it! Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 09:05 PM

Big Opps.. I forgot I tried MSCONFIG yesterday, I guess I shut down Everything... Online now .... Hmmm not sure what to do next....

Old 11-14-2014, 09:25 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,761,378 times
Assuming that you have a backup of your files, get a copy of Windows 7 .iso, burn it to a DVD and reinstall Windows using the key on the sticker of the PC. The .iso can be downloaded here: Windows 7 Direct Download Links, Official Disk Images from Digital River

Old 11-14-2014, 09:25 PM

468 posts, read 471,850 times
So you can get on line? if so download freeware spybot..............this will find the malware and show you the exact place in the registry so you can remove it.

Use spybot in safe mode. If that does not work you may have to go back to factory ...mode....before the Trojan destroys the total use of the pc.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:32 PM

468 posts, read 471,850 times
If you could describe the symptoms a little more ................for instance................your modem sometimes for no apparent reason....drops sync with the pc. Hence you cannot connect to the internet....so you have to synchronize...the modem with the pc. Or you have more than one "wireless" in the "manage wireless" ....and they are knocking each other out............so you have to delete one...

Old 11-14-2014, 10:04 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,092,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I have had ongoing problems w/ my Dell Inspiron for some time now. BSOD, now system restore refuses to even work, can't connect to the Internet. No. $$ to take to a shop. Ran CHDSK, no luck, troubleshooting nor Winows Update or Security Center either, I don't have a Windows 7disc as it came pre-installed. I am a mom & mainly use it to keep up w/ friends & Facebook groups for my disabled child so am really missing it! Any ideas greatly appreciated.
You might be able to order a window 7 disc from dell at fair cheap cost. ;worth a try IMO. I have two for my two HP's I ordered. Like 16 dollars.;even sent 1 day shipping.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:50 AM

52,155 posts, read 30,215,041 times
There maybe a Recovery option in your BIOS screen that appears when starting the system, I'm not too familiar with Dell Inspiron, but the BIOS screen usually appears with the Dell, or other computer makers' logo at startup and you'll have to press either the "Del" or the "Esc" keys to be able to go into the BIOS, then step through the available options on the menus. Every BIOS is different, depending on the manufacturer of the motherboard on your system.

The option of system recovery is to be used in a worst-case scenario, and it can be used to recover/restore everything to how it was the day you purchased it and will basically reinstall Windows 7, along with the so-called "Bloat-ware" computer makers usually give you when you buy a computer, all of which can be uninstalled. Then you'll have to go back and reinstall the updates from Microsoft and everything else you've installed on it since you bought it. It may also have the option to allow you to save your own personal files (Documents, Pictures, etc.)

Old 11-21-2014, 07:15 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
^^^^ This...

Try hitting F8 continuously and see if one of the options is Repair computer, that might contain an option for a Factory reset...

Old 11-23-2014, 11:48 PM

16,980 posts, read 17,145,000 times
^^^^^^^^^

Yes, try f8, an advanced system repair/restore should come up.

Your recovery disk may just be dirty enough not to read......quite a common problem. I would gently clean it off with some really mild/diluted soap and water....gently dry and try to use!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:24 AM

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I haven't even tried messing w/ my PC as hubby & kids home all weekend, & my cells has issues as well... iPad too! I swear electronics hate me lately!
I don't have a recovery disc, unfortunately... Wish I had made one. It will start us but then eventually will get all pixely , weird lines running thru the screen, then blue screen pops up.. Saw something about " disable bios memory" or something? I will try some of the above after I take my son to the doctor... I would sure hate to lose the hundreds of kids pictures on there, most everything important such as tax documents etc. I had the foresight to save elsewhere.thanks again for all the help/replies!!
Just checked, nope can't connect to the Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or