U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 02:32 PM

4,366 posts, read 3,645,763 times

Advertisements

Um,

I'm trained to be a teacher, and I'm working very hard to try to do well, even though I think I have a personality that makes me better suited doing something else. I've always liked the idea of programming and using new technology, maybe educational technology (although I argue that most technology is educational). Is there a way for me to get training for programming and working with educational technology without going back to school and trying to earn a whole other degree? I'm already in a lot of debt, but I would like to use my love for technology productively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 04:06 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,490,880 times
Does anyone else see the irony in a teacher asking how to go about learning something?

Old 11-17-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Does anyone else see the irony in a teacher asking how to go about learning something?
Well, I'm not an expert in all fields.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:49 PM

22,690 posts, read 17,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Um,

I'm trained to be a teacher, and I'm working very hard to try to do well, even though I think I have a personality that makes me better suited doing something else. I've always liked the idea of programming and using new technology, maybe educational technology (although I argue that most technology is educational). Is there a way for me to get training for programming and working with educational technology without going back to school and trying to earn a whole other degree? I'm already in a lot of debt, but I would like to use my love for technology productively.
Didn't you say in an earlier post that you struggled with math? Programming requires very advanced math skills. I would highly recommend aptitude testing before you choose another career. If you had done that before college you would not be in a teaching program now.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:52 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Didn't you say in an earlier post that you struggled with math? Programming requires very advanced math skills. I would highly recommend aptitude testing before you choose another career. If you had done that before college you would not be in a teaching program now.
If you go into something like web development or front end development, math isn't really super necessary. I'm not great at math and do fine. Even most back end isn't super mathy. I'm sure if you were writing algorithms for some bank app, sure, you should probably know quite a lot, particularly financial math and general understanding of how accountants do their jobs.

You do have to have a dedication to problem solving, if you want to do really well.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:07 PM

3,021 posts, read 1,932,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
If you go into something like web development or front end development, math isn't really super necessary. I'm not great at math and do fine. Even most back end isn't super mathy. I'm sure if you were writing algorithms for some bank app, sure, you should probably know quite a lot, particularly financial math and general understanding of how accountants do their jobs.

You do have to have a dedication to problem solving, if you want to do really well.
I agree with this. Software development doesn't really require all that much mathematical knowledge unless you are writing heuristics, in which case discrete math is the most applicable. In my opinion the purpose of advanced math courses were to strengthen problem solving and pattern recognition skills, not necessarily for application purposes.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I agree with this. Software development doesn't really require all that much mathematical knowledge unless you are writing heuristics, in which case discrete math is the most applicable. In my opinion the purpose of advanced math courses were to strengthen problem solving and pattern recognition skills, not necessarily for application purposes.

I like technology and would like to learn more about it, enough to work in that field.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:25 PM

It's very, very easy to begin to learn to code. It's incredibly difficult to master it. Pick a language and get started. No schooling necessary, there are infinite resources available to you in the form of written tutorials, online courses like codeacademy (for the very early stuff), video tutorials, etc.

I currently write in C# mainly but have been working with angular and MVC with entity framework. Bootstrap and Sass rounds out the prettyfication.

Number one thing to remember is that there is TOO MUCH to learn. Try not to try learning it all. You will fail. New techniques and standards come out every day....don't get hung up on that. It's good to keep abreast of current news in the programming world, though. Be focused and build a test project that encompasses something you're passionate about or something you need. For me, my first big project was an invoicing system for my parent's company. Do not become discouraged, because you will never stop learning and you will never stop hitting walls. If you do, you're not pushing yourself enough.

Number two, your code will always be worse than your future code. I cringe at what that invoicing system looks like in the code behind. It is atrocious. It works, but it is terribly difficult to read and understand. I highly recommend reading books like http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Code-Han.../dp/0132350882 - it is invaluable no matter the language you pick.

Number three, speaking of languages, do not get hung up on which is best. Pick one to learn, then pick another when you need to. I wouldn't recommend picking some obscure, worthless language, but any modern language with decent backing will do. Choose the best tool to do the job, don't hammer a nail with the butt of a stapler.

This can be done in your free time. It all comes down to your own dedication.

You can do this!

Last edited by adyn; 11-17-2014 at 10:34 PM..

Old 11-17-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
It's very, very easy to begin to learn to code. It's incredibly difficult to master it. Pick a language and get started. No schooling necessary, there are infinite resources available to you in the form of written tutorials, online courses like codeacademy (for the very early stuff), video tutorials, etc.

I currently write in C# mainly but have been working with angular and MVC with entity framework. Bootstrap and Sass rounds out the prettyfication.

Number one thing to remember is that there is TOO MUCH to learn. Try not to try learning it all. You will fail. New techniques and standards come out every day....don't get hung up on that. It's good to keep abreast of current news in the programming world, though. Be focused and build a test project that encompasses something you're passionate about or something you need. For me, my first big project was an invoicing system for my parent's company. Do not become discouraged, because you will never stop learning and you will never stop hitting walls. If you do, you're not pushing yourself enough.

Number two, your code will always be worse than your future code. I cringe at what that invoicing system looks like in the code behind. It is atrocious. It works, but it is terribly difficult to read and understand. I highly recommend reading books like Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship: Robert C. Martin: 0000132350882: Amazon.com: Books - it is invaluable no matter the language you pick.

Number three, speaking of languages, do not get hung up on which is best. Pick one to learn, then pick another when you need to. I wouldn't recommend picking some obscure, worthless language, but any modern language with decent backing will do. Choose the best tool to do the job, don't hammer a nail with the butt of a stapler.

This can be done in your free time. It all comes down to your own dedication.

You can do this!
I would like to try my hand at building and hosting websites. Is there a tutorial for this?

Old 11-17-2014, 11:19 PM

One google search away

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...%20a%20website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or