U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 05:51 PM

260 posts, read 269,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
IE 11 has been a huge problem. I don't know which program caused the security risk problems. Seems to me it all started when I was in my live.com email inbox and interrupted a reload by starting something else. That's when live.com email was declared a security risk... then later logging into facebook was deemed a security risk, then my other email program. Yet antivirus program said no virus. It's such a pain. I'm tired of dealing with it and will reinstall Windows 7 tomorrow....
If you think it's your antivirus, simply disable all antivirus.

You had mentioned that you know stuff about computers, so here what I would do:
Task manager - Processes, look at everything that looks strange, google that process that looks strange.
Control Panel, Installed Programs, check to see what is installed that needs to be uninstalled.
Device Manager, what is not working there ?
Administrative tools, check disk for errors.

Another option is to restart windows in Safe mode and see if problems persist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 05:52 PM

If the problem is a virus or hardware, reinstalling windows would not solve much, have to fdisk for it to work.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:45 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,674,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataWarehouse View Post
If the problem is a virus or hardware, reinstalling windows would not solve much, have to fdisk for it to work.
Re-installing Windows will get rid of most viruses, except for one that is deeply embedded in the boot sector (sector 1 of the volume). I've never had that problem, and I have re-installed Vista and Windows 7 quite a few times on my pc's.

If a person is concerned though, they can follow Microsoft's advice here...

Quote:
I have decided to reformat my hard disk and reinstall Windows, but when I try to format my hard disk, Windows says it is unable to complete the reformatting.

You cannot reformat a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows. This is a safety feature so that you cannot delete Windows by accident. To reformat your computer's hard disk and reinstall Windows, restart your computer using the Windows installation disc (this is commonly known as booting from the installation disc). During the Setup process, you can repartition and reformat your hard disk and then reinstall Windows. The process will erase your files and programs, so be sure to make backups of your data and program files before you begin. For more information, search Windows Help and Support for "installing and reinstalling Windows."

Formatting disks and drives

Old 11-28-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
IE 11 has been a huge problem. I don't know which program caused the security risk problems. Seems to me it all started when I was in my live.com email inbox and interrupted a reload by starting something else. That's when live.com email was declared a security risk... then later logging into facebook was deemed a security risk, then my other email program. Yet antivirus program said no virus. It's such a pain. I'm tired of dealing with it and will reinstall Windows 7 tomorrow....
Good luck with the re-install...........let us know how it goes.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Re-installing Windows will get rid of most viruses, except for one that is deeply embedded in the boot sector (sector 1 of the volume). I've never had that problem, and I have re-installed Vista and Windows 7 quite a few times on my pc's.

If a person is concerned though, they can follow Microsoft's advice here...

Formatting disks and drives

To rid yourself of a virus while reinstalling win 7, you would have to format the drives. Because win 7 will keep some directorates and system files and registry keys, from a previous insulation. That is the last resolve, the most extreme way to get rid of a virus.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataWarehouse View Post
To rid yourself of a virus while reinstalling win 7, you would have to format the drives. Because win 7 will keep some directorates and system files and registry keys, from a previous insulation. That is the last resolve, the most extreme way to get rid of a virus.

Concerning a need to format the drive, my experience re-installing Win 7 has been just like the man says in the video I posted (at 2:12 mins. into the video)..... a fresh system, brand new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or