Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 08:32 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,410,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Why not restore to factory settings?
Do you mean reinstall Windows 7? Otherwise, I have no idea how to restore to factory settings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 09:14 PM

260 posts, read 325,552 times
I am confused. What is the problem ?

Can you download stuff or not ?
If you can't, reset the IE to original settings.
Does that work ?
If it does not, check if you have a virus. Go to geeksquad. Ask a friend to help.

I don't know what it means "IE does not want to download anything" When you try to download what happens? Do you know your download directory ?

Did you set a setting on IE that prevents downloading ?

we need more description

Old 11-28-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataWarehouse View Post
I am confused. What is the problem ?

Can you download stuff or not ?
If you can't, reset the IE to original settings.
Does that work ?
If it does not, check if you have a virus. Go to geeksquad. Ask a friend to help.

I don't know what it means "IE does not want to download anything" When you try to download what happens? Do you know your download directory ?

Did you set a setting on IE that prevents downloading ?

we need more description
So much has happened. No, I cannot download anything with IE. Cannot recall the exact message, but "whatever cannot be downloaded." A local repair tech could not figure it out. Microsoft Techs could not figure it out. Avast virus program says no virus. Malwarebytes suddenly says it is missing runtime error 383. I cannot access my main email program or facebook. The message says it's a security risk. Opera is the only browser I can use. Cannot use Google as I get the security risk message. Yes, I've reset IE several times.

I'm not totally dumb about computers. I didn't build my current machine, but I built the one before that and used it for 10 years. I don't always know the correct terminology. No, I didn't set IE to prevent downloading. There is a lot I don't know, but I know more than many.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:26 AM

2,828 posts, read 4,329,706 times
I have found that when things become too messy and lots of time is passing with no results, it's time to get out the Operating System disc that came with your pc, bite the bullet and reinstall it (Win 7 in your case) and make the computer like it was on day 1 when you first got it. Back up anything you want, and if you have lots of apps, write down their names so that you don't forget to reinstall all of them after your operating system has been reinstalled to its brand new condition. It might take a little while to do this, but after it's done you will have a virus-free, clean computer just like on the first day you got it. That's been my experience.... rather than jumping through too many unsuccessful hoops.

Last edited by nezlie; 11-28-2014 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: added a few words

Old 11-28-2014, 07:42 AM

After I reinstall the operating system disk, which can take an hour or two depending on the speed of the pc, the next thing that happens in the background is that all the Windows Updates will begin automatically to bring your pc up-to-date. That can take several hours until all the updates have been installed, and there will be a few times when the pc will restart itself to install the updates. But after it's done, you've got your clean new pc back.

One other thing I have found is that it is good to have a second browser installed in your pc in addition to IE..... just in case you ever have a browser problem, you can check things out on the backup browser. My primary is Firefox and backup is IE.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
After I reinstall the operating system disk, which can take an hour or two depending on the speed of the pc, the next thing that happens in the background is that all the Windows Updates will begin automatically to bring your pc up-to-date. That can take several hours until all the updates have been installed, and there will be a few times when the pc will restart itself to install the updates. But after it's done, you've got your clean new pc back.

One other thing I have found is that it is good to have a second browser installed in your pc in addition to IE..... just in case you ever have a browser problem, you can check things out on the backup browser. My primary is Firefox and backup is IE.
I've never uninstalled an OS before. Will there be a problem reinstalling Windows 7 since it's already registered as belonging to this machine? At the moment, the only 2 browsers that are operable are Firefox and Opera.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:10 AM

260 posts, read 325,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
So much has happened. No, I cannot download anything with IE. Cannot recall the exact message, but "whatever cannot be downloaded." A local repair tech could not figure it out. Microsoft Techs could not figure it out. Avast virus program says no virus. Malwarebytes suddenly says it is missing runtime error 383. I cannot access my main email program or facebook. The message says it's a security risk. Opera is the only browser I can use. Cannot use Google as I get the security risk message. Yes, I've reset IE several times.

I'm not totally dumb about computers. I didn't build my current machine, but I built the one before that and used it for 10 years. I don't always know the correct terminology. No, I didn't set IE to prevent downloading. There is a lot I don't know, but I know more than many.

Sounds like a virus, it could also be hard disk corruption.

My email program (Windows live mail) was freezing computer, had to get a new hard disk. Got new win7 from amazon, now some updates are not downloading and I can't setup IIS, it's not in the features list. I put this PC together, but 3d video card is no longer supported and drivers are causing problems, got a new video card, it's in the closet, to lazy to install it

Who or what (Program) gives you Security risk message ? Do you get popups that ask you for $20 to clean you PC ? Do you get strange advertisements ? If you disable Java script in your browser will the problems go away?

Friends always ask me to clean up their computers, most of the time the challenge is finding out what is the name of the virus, then I can google for a fix.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I've never uninstalled an OS before. Will there be a problem reinstalling Windows 7 since it's already registered as belonging to this machine? At the moment, the only 2 browsers that are operable are Firefox and Opera.
The way it works is that you use the Windows 7 disk that came with the pc since it is registered/authorized for your pc.

Take a few minutes and look at this video to get an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZivYMA2qRA

Old 11-28-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
The way it works is that you use the Windows 7 disk that came with the pc since it is registered/authorized for your pc.

Take a few minutes and look at this video to get an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZivYMA2qRA
Thanks so much. I appreciate it all. I'm aiming for tomorrow to do the deed so I can play bridge online tonight. :O

Old 11-28-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataWarehouse View Post
Sounds like a virus, it could also be hard disk corruption.

My email program (Windows live mail) was freezing computer, had to get a new hard disk. Got new win7 from amazon, now some updates are not downloading and I can't setup IIS, it's not in the features list. I put this PC together, but 3d video card is no longer supported and drivers are causing problems, got a new video card, it's in the closet, to lazy to install it

Who or what (Program) gives you Security risk message ? Do you get popups that ask you for $20 to clean you PC ? Do you get strange advertisements ? If you disable Java script in your browser will the problems go away?

Friends always ask me to clean up their computers, most of the time the challenge is finding out what is the name of the virus, then I can google for a fix.
IE 11 has been a huge problem. I don't know which program caused the security risk problems. Seems to me it all started when I was in my live.com email inbox and interrupted a reload by starting something else. That's when live.com email was declared a security risk... then later logging into facebook was deemed a security risk, then my other email program. Yet antivirus program said no virus. It's such a pain. I'm tired of dealing with it and will reinstall Windows 7 tomorrow....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers