U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 05:41 PM

34,325 posts, read 59,663,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I use microsoft security essentials (Free) and malewarebytes (25 bucks for three machines). Seems to work fine. I used Norton in the past but it was expensive and seemed to be a resource hog. (too much interaction with the program too- always bugging me about things)

I use MSE, too. Mostly because I am cheap.

Because, I believe Tek, who has been talking up Norton for a couple of years, I may be short-sighted in my cheapness.
I'm no Gordon Gecko, but I own 100 shares each of MSFT and Symantec.
MSFT has been better to me, so MSE it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
First, Norton does not make your computer slow. It has one of the lightest footprints of any AV I tried and I've tried most.

And #3 on the list.

Get with the times, people. I'm guessing you used Norton a few years ago (five or more) and found it to be as you describe, or you've read a forum where some "expert" has said these things.

Let's straighten this out.

Norton was a bloated pig and a resource hog. Was being the key word. The program was completely rewritten a few years ago and even though I had stopped using it for all the stated reasons I decided to try it again because everything I was trying was crap. I decided to try it because all the reviews were placing it at #3 or above in their ratings.

I've been using it ever since. All computers, tablets, and phones. It is completely unobtrusive and only scans when the computer is idle. Stop to go to the bathroom and it will run while you're gone. Come back and move the mouse and it stops. Very efficient and very light.

Please don't continue to spread misinformation.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 12:36 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I use microsoft security essentials (Free) and malewarebytes (25 bucks for three machines). Seems to work fine. I used Norton in the past but it was expensive and seemed to be a resource hog. (too much interaction with the program too- always bugging me about things)
I never understand these comments. Please define "too much". I might see a message from NIS once every couple of weeks in a small box in the corner informing me about scan progress and it does the same small box when scanning downloads, letting me know they are safe. Once a month I get an overview of what has been blocked, etc and that can be turned off.

That's too much?

And I shop pricing. I've found 5 machine protection for as little as $50.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. To each their own, but please don't place misleading or incorrect information in a forum. You are doing the other posters no favors.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:36 PM

10,929 posts, read 4,987,265 times
I have used AVG free for years with no problems. A friend of mine, who has worked on computers since W95, won't use anything else.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:21 PM

I threw AVG out about 8 years ago.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:03 AM

993 posts, read 1,415,505 times
We have 5 laptops in our house and everyone has been using MSE, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner for years without having any serious security problems. We have a well configured router that helps to minimize intrusions. My husband is not a safe internet surfer and he tends to attract the most trouble. Even then, a good scan with Malwarebytes takes care of most of the bugs. Only twice in 20 years has he taken it to be debugged by a friend who works in IT.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
We have 5 laptops in our house and everyone has been using MSE, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner for years without having any serious security problems. We have a well configured router that helps to minimize intrusions. My husband is not a safe internet surfer and he tends to attract the most trouble. Even then, a good scan with Malwarebytes takes care of most of the bugs. Only twice in 20 years has he taken it to be debugged by a friend who works in IT.
Smart.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:49 PM

546 posts, read 1,529,545 times
Norton is the only thing that seemed to work against my kid's horrible, contagious, virus containing games from taking down my computer. We have tried quite a few and have had the best success with Norton but it is more expensive.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:19 AM

13,031 posts, read 7,856,402 times
A few providers jockey for top position at all times. If you Google "current antivirus benchmarking ratings" you'll get the current reports from pc mag, tom's, etc.

Personally I use Norton at this time and I like it. I get it free with Comcast/Xfinity. The thing that IS a resource hog was the Constant Guard/Fast Connect utility that you also get. But I posted a whole thing about FC and how bad it is in the Internet forum so I won't go more into that. Suffice to say...Norton ain't bad.

I do not like Avast. I know some people do...I hate it. They relentlessly pestered me to upgrade and pay, and finally I decided to give that a try (this was a couple of years ago, I wanted to take a break from Norton and try something different.) Well, I was having some issues (some kind of a browser redirect thing) and Avast was not helping. So I uninstalled it, even though I was months short of the expire on what I'd paid for, and brought Norton back on board. Norton fixed the issue. It doesn't use too many resources or make a nuisance of itself.

You can not rely on something like Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, or Spybot Search & Destroy alone. Those things are good for catching irritants...adware, tracking cookies, etc. But a decent AV is important too.

I've heard good things about Kaspersky over the years. Has anyone used it recently? Opinions?

Also, ages ago I used to have McAfee free on my Comcast subscription...and what was cool was that one time (like 2009 or 2010) I had a determined trojan/virus issue related to attempts to steal my World of Warcraft logins and email info. McAfee was able to trace the path of the attacks to China. It was kind of neat to be able to see it on a map, even if my AV was failing in eliminating the threat. I eventually got better security on my WoW acct (authenticator) and they eventually stopped trying...they were after something very specific...and I don't even play anymore. But it was an interesting experience.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:54 AM

971 posts, read 1,213,695 times
My first two Nortons didn't show me much so I quit them. I got it back on my first XP and when I bought a laptop with Vista with Norton they combined the two together and totaled the days. I have been with Norton ever since. Last week I got a message my Norton will renew automatically Jan. 2nd if I do nothing. I will let it happen.

Thanks for your post S_S, it was most helpful for me.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:11 AM

30 posts, read 36,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I have a HP Pavilion with Win 8. The Norton that came pre-installed on the laptop has expired. Should I renew it? Or should should I go for a better/more affordable alternative? If that latter, what would you suggest?

Thank you.
I would not renew personally, unless you felt using Norton was fine for you. If it did its job keeping viruses away and using it didn't frustrate you, by all means keep it. Just make sure they don't renew you automatically. I was renewed for another year automatically when I had Norton 365 and had moved to Symantec.

These are the other options assuming you keep using your current windows laptop.
1. Go the free route. (Bitdefender, Avast, AVG, etc..)
2. Look and see if your place of employment or internet service provider offers "free to you" paid antivirus and try them.
3. Pay for an antivirus you really liked after going the free route for the bonus features that are important to you.

I currently use Bitdefender Plus for Antivirus and Malwarebytes for Anti-Malware. I liked them so much I decided to get the paid versions of each. Both have caught numerous threats, but I can't necessarily say it has caught more than my previous antivirus (Symantec) or when I had the free Malwarebytes.

*I had the trial version of Bitdefender Plus and after a couple of days they offered the paid version for $39.99 instead of the $59.99 online. I bought the Malwarebytes Pro for the realtime protection and because I have used them for so long and liked them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or