U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 09:17 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 6,825,345 times

Advertisements

Oh gosh, *buying* anti-virus is old school (sort of like buying anti-spam software). The free alternatives are very good. I second and third the recommendation for AVG Free, works very very well and is light weight. I always uninstall Norton/Mcafee on any computer I come across. They remind me of the old telephone companies that charged people $3/month for a phone rental for like 20 years.

These days the free options are just as good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 04:38 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
You uninstall Norton from my computer and you'll be paying to have it put back on.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:45 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,868,942 times
*Update*

I eventually downloaded Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:06 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,401,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
You should get AVG or Avast, which are free downloads and as good, or better than, anything else. And Malwarebytes too, which does different things. Also free.
It is not advisable to run two at the same time. I run AVG all the time, then once or twice a month, I close all browsers, temporarily disable AVG and run a Malwarebytes Computer Scan. When the scan is finished, re-start AVG.

Both are free, but when you download, make sure you specify the free version, and not the free trial of the heavyweight version that they will be pitching. Try to uninstall as much of teh Norton as you can.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:30 AM

11,780 posts, read 8,763,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
*Update*

I eventually downloaded Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner.
You still need an AV software. Paid or free, something is better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It is not advisable to run two at the same time. I run AVG all the time, then once or twice a month, I close all browsers, temporarily disable AVG and run a Malwarebytes Computer Scan. When the scan is finished, re-start AVG.

Both are free, but when you download, make sure you specify the free version, and not the free trial of the heavyweight version that they will be pitching. Try to uninstall as much of teh Norton as you can.
True, but Malwarebytes isn't AV software and it should not be necessary to disable your AV software to run Malwarebytes.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:37 AM

3,720 posts, read 4,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You still need an AV software. Paid or free, something is better than nothing.
I've had that for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or