Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 08:58 PM

749 posts, read 917,185 times

Advertisements

I am going to be changing my antivirus in five days. I have McAfee, but for a renewal now they want close to $90 for two computers for Total Protection. Can any one suggest a better one for less? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 07:47 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,223,854 times
Tbh Windows defender is fairly good. You should also check your routers diagnostic settings as many of them *esp sonicwalls* have good anti virus software built into them.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,528,453 times
Norton Internet Security. Check pricing on Amazon.

Been using it for years and as far as I'm concerned it is the best available.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,013,397 times
Test antivirus software for Windows 7 - August 2014 | AV-TEST

The Microsoft solution mentioned earlier gets a top score in usability. It also scores a perfect zero in protection.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:56 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,978,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

The Microsoft solution mentioned earlier gets a top score in usability. It also scores a perfect zero in protection.
I just ordered a Toshiba Satellite from Best Buy, that comes with six months of Kaspersky Internet Security. It looks pretty good in that article. Does anybody think I need anything else?

Old 11-09-2014, 03:18 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,830,059 times
I'm not an expert but I guess just lucky in that I've had very few virus and the like in the 20 or so years I've used them.

I have used AVG free for years, AVAST (was OK), AVIRA (lately and so far is OK) , and occasionally even MS (briefly so little real feedback) with adequate results...each was copiously aided by common sense. There are others that look good too.

Don't forget Malwarebytes.

Try this site AV-Comparatives Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software » AV-Comparatives

Old 11-11-2014, 08:11 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,596,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Hehe, so bad, eh?

Anyway, I use it in combination with Malwarebytes (the premium version), but the latter behaves strangely since their big update. It starts despite my saying it should not start with Windows in the context menu. It doesn't start immediately with Windows, but at some time later during the day, for no reason I can think of. And it keeps saying Malicious Website Protection disabled, fixing it doesn't work.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:36 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,596,386 times
Strange, yesterday I did a little research, trying to find out what is the best solution at the moment. And I came across a recent statement made by a MS spokesman who, confronted with the abysmal results for their Security Essentials in tests, basically said people should go and buy a professional suite because the MS suite is not meant to provide good protection, just very basic protection. How embarrassing is that for one of the richest companies on the planet. After many years they still don't manage to make a good antivirus to protect people using their vulnerable operating system

So I downloaded Kaspersky, which it seems is the best. The odd thing is, after a full scan it found not a single issue or threat. Since I only had the MS crap until now and complimentary Malwarebytes (which I read doesn't really protect well, it is good at removing stuff after infection), I thought my computer must be full of viruses etc. But nothing. So how does that fit together with the statement of that MS guy?!

Now I am wondering if it is worth spending money on Kaspersky when I have not caught anything with MS Security Essentials, either...

Old 11-12-2014, 12:05 PM

6,562 posts, read 11,201,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Strange, yesterday I did a little research, trying to find out what is the best solution at the moment. And I came across a recent statement made by a MS spokesman who, confronted with the abysmal results for their Security Essentials in tests, basically said people should go and buy a professional suite because the MS suite is not meant to provide good protection, just very basic protection. How embarrassing is that for one of the richest companies on the planet. After many years they still don't manage to make a good antivirus to protect people using their vulnerable operating system

So I downloaded Kaspersky, which it seems is the best. The odd thing is, after a full scan it found not a single issue or threat. Since I only had the MS crap until now and complimentary Malwarebytes (which I read doesn't really protect well, it is good at removing stuff after infection), I thought my computer must be full of viruses etc. But nothing. So how does that fit together with the statement of that MS guy?!

Now I am wondering if it is worth spending money on Kaspersky when I have not caught anything with MS Security Essentials, either...
They're not an AV vendor. And all operating systems are vulnerable. In fact, all software are vulnerable. But technically speaking, a vulnerable OS isn't a prerequisite for a malicious software to work. Not defending MS at all, but this is like blaming a car maker because accidents continues to happen.

Having these controls lessens your risk of loss. Of course, this is just one control. Your surfing habits is another. And just because risk is present, it doesn't mean you will automatically be exposed. I've never had my home robbed, but I'm not going to stop locking my doors either.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,557,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
I am going to be changing my antivirus in five days. I have McAfee, but for a renewal now they want close to $90 for two computers for Total Protection. Can any one suggest a better one for less? Thank you,
I have used Avast! Free for about the past 10 years on two systems with no problems. Prior to that AVG free for a few years, then the pay for version for a year (or two?), but it got "klugy" and confusing... Quit using McAfee over 15 years ago...

So does that mean I've saved over $1,300 by quitting McAfee when I couldn't figure out in advance what is was going to cost me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers