U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 11:00 AM

268 posts, read 217,848 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that if you get the Rosetta Stone software, you can download it a limited number of times. I have to do a crash course in a couple of languages for business purposes (Mandarin and Arabic) and think it best to have a separate lap, just for this. It needs to print and have good battery life. Be nice if it was preloaded with MS Office, but that's not a requirement.

I looked on Amazon, and the few I've chosen have either reports of crashes or don't print.

Your recommendation(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 04:08 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,782 times
First, I would absolutely not buy a laptop just for the purposes of installing rosetta stone. That seems overly wasteful. I guess if your accounting department is lackadaisical go for it though..

Second, what reviews are you looking at where people say a laptop won't print? That makes zero sense, either they installed the printer incorrectly or don't have it plugged in or something....any modern full feature OS can print...regardless of the hardware it's installed on.

Thirdly, it seems to me from their EULA that you can install it wherever you want as long as you have the activation number either from their website or by telephone.

Quote:
B. STANDALONE LICENSEES: Licensee acknowledges that installation of the Rosetta Stone Product
on a workstation Licensee owns or may lawfully access may require product activation. If Licensee
received an Activation ID with Licensee’s Rosetta Stone Product, Licensee will be required to comply with
the Licensor-defined activation procedure to obtain full access to the Rosetta Stone Product. Product
activation is a technological measure designed to prevent unlicensed or illegal use of the Rosetta Stone
Product. These measures limit Licensee’s access to the content until Licensee activates the Rosetta
Stone Product by following instructions provided in the documentation accompanying the Rosetta Stone
Product and on the Licensor website applicable to Licensee’s location as listed on Annex 1. The
Licensee will be able to activate the Rosetta Stone Product by contacting Licensor at the telephone
number listed in the accompanying documentation and via the Licensor website applicable to Licensee’s
locations as listed on Annex 1. During activation, Licensee will provide Licensee’s unique Activation ID
accompanying the Rosetta Stone Product and computer configuration in the form of a numeric code to
verify the authenticity of the Rosetta Stone Product. Licensee agrees that if Licensee does not activate
the Rosetta Stone Product as set forth in the accompanying documentation Licensee will not be able to
access the complete Rosetta Stone Product content. Furthermore, Licensee agrees that Licensor may
use these measures to protect the Rosetta Stone Product against software piracy.

Sic http://www.rosettastone.com/us_asset...global-eng.pdf
They're pretty much saying only install it on some hardware that you own or exclusively use, and do not share it with someone else. Do not install it on someone else's machine.

so...........just install it on the computer you already have.

(also I've used RS in the past and it was terrible, could have been my learning style though, hopefully it will work for you better than it did for me)

regardless of ALL of that, finding a good laptop for 300 bucks is going to be difficult. Probably look for refurbs..... something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...46&ignorebbr=1

Last edited by adyn; 11-25-2014 at 04:16 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 08:26 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Pretty much agree 95% with Adyn. Except, I thought Rosetta was good. As good as any other method. Nothing as ground breaking as they make it sound.
Reviews MUST be taken with a large grain of salt on every site. SOOOO Many negative reviews are posted because of simple: user error.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:36 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,490,880 times
I bought one for exactly the same purpose. Paid $100 at Laptop Exchange, a local or regional chain (I think) that buys/sells used laptops. WinXP and not great specs, but it's cheap and it serves its purpose well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
First, I would absolutely not buy a laptop just for the purposes of installing rosetta stone. That seems overly wasteful.
Why? It's a specialized tool. Companies spend a lot more than $100-$300 for specialized tools all the time. This tool helps people learn languages. You can check the laptop out to someone, they learn a language then check it back in.

Which makes more sense: The dedicated PC, or buying a separate copy of Rosetta Stone for the PC of each person that will be using it?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:05 AM

268 posts, read 217,848 times
I really don't have an accounting department; I'm the sole proprietor of an online business I've had for nearly 20 years. What I normally do is get a cheap lap at Wal-Mart every year. Not fancy, but it works. I've never had a Toshiba; how about this one:

Amazon.com : Toshiba Satellite C55-A5105 15.6-Inch Laptop( Intel Dual Core Celeron Processor N2820, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, DVD-SuperMulti drive, Windows 8.1) : Computers & Accessories

Old 11-28-2014, 11:36 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,490,880 times
That will be WAY more than adequate to run RS. The hardware requirements for RS are minimal - unless you have an aversion to buying a used laptop, that's the way I'd go. You should be able to find something suitable for half the cost of the one on Amazon.

That said, if you're set on getting something new, that will most certainly do the job. In fact, pretty much any laptop will do the job. You could even consider a netbook, and a Windows RT tablet might even work. If you're going to be using it on the go, that and a set of bluetooth headphones would actually be a great alternative, provided that RS is compatible with the operating system on the tablet.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:58 PM

51 posts, read 47,857 times
If only Rosetta Stone's price and product were as good as their marketing....

Let me give you some free alternatives that are better.

1) Reading & listening: Learn Languages Online | LingQ
This site has free and paying member features, but honestly all you need is the free stuff. The free stuff here being tons of natural conversations and podcasts in most of the major languages, along with the transcripts for the conversations so you can read and listen to the same content.

2) Speaking & typing/writing/chatting:
a) https://www.verbling.com/ The community section here is where you want to go(it's the free part of the site also). There you can start chat rooms in google hangouts for whatever language you want to practice. Up to 10 people can join a room and you can also talk with mics, share your screen or other documents, and use a webcam if you want.
b) Language Exchange Community - Practice Foreign Languages This site, sharedtalk, is like verbling, but it's more for 1 on 1 practice talking or text messaging.

3) Dictionary / Example sentences
a) LINE Dictionary
b) Tatoeba: Collecting example sentences
c) There are various options, but basically find a pop-up chinese dictionary, so the characters aren't as big of a barrier. There's a pop-up google dictionary like this or another browser add-on called perapera you can try downloading.

4) Writing corrections
a) Multi-lingual language learning and language exchange | Lang-8: For learning foreign languages Here you can submit texts and speakers of the language will correct you. It's free, so the idea is that, when possible, you help by correcting their English texts too.

5) Flashcards
a) Anki - powerful, intelligent flashcards There are some really nice Chinese cards here with audio, example sentences, pinyin, pictures, etc.
b) Learning, powered by imagination. - Memrise

6) Video courses in various languages
a) http://sites.google.com/site/soyouwa...deocourses#fre
b) Growing up with Chinese ???? - Free Mandarin Video Lessons on CCTV Here is a nice Chinese video series, it's in the link above too, but it's good so I figured I'd put it here so you see it.

7) More course-like stuff
a) FSI Language Courses - Chinese These are courses developed by the US government that are in the public domain now and free. Personally I find them deathly boring and prefer just working with natural language in context, but they are solid courses with pdfs and audio you can download.
b) FSI Language Courses - Arabic

If you want to buy something, Assimil has some nice books/audio for Chinese and Arabic and it's a lot cheaper than rosetta stone. I would also recommend Glossika Languages, Spaced Repetition, Mass Sentence Method , especially for Chinese. Also, one thing you might want to do, since I assume you mostly need very targeted language, is think of the situation(s) in which you will need Chinese and Arabic. What will you want to say? What questions might you be asked and what questions might you want to ask others? How will you respond? Write all of this in English and try to make it as simple as you can grammatically, while still retaining the meaning you want to get across. Next use the links I put above (the dictionary and example sentences) to try to translate your own sentences. After that you can post your translation attempt somewhere like lang-8 and someone will correct you. Alternatively you might be able to find a language exchange partner on a site like verbling or renshuu.org (or other sites like InterPals Penpals - Make friends online and find free pen pals from around the world!) above, and then they can help you figure out what you want to say, so you don't waste time studying everyday Chinese or Arabic that might be of no use to you. It's actually really easy to find Chinese and Arabic speakers who will help you, since there are so many of them that want to learn or improve their English and so few English speakers studying those languages.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:26 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Which makes more sense: The dedicated PC, or buying a separate copy of Rosetta Stone for the PC of each person that will be using it?
There is no "people" in OP's scenario, just him. He already has a laptop/PC. It does not make sense from the details present.

In any event, buying licenses for each person is the way their EULA prefers it be done, buying a laptop and passing it around would be considered against their TOS. Surely buying a business license that would allow this is a different scenario, and not within the scope of the text you quoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers