U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 02:50 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,555,332 times

Advertisements

....do without it, and how long ago did you dump it?

As someone with a tablet as well as a smartphone, I'm soliciting opinions and tips from those who've done so over the past 5-plus years, since I'm contemplating getting rid of mine even though it's only 4 years old, as well as the fact that I also have a Smart TV, Blu-Ray player and a landline, which I also might get rid of even though I live in Los Angeles, aka earthquake country.

Any tips and tales would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 08:24 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,121,432 times
My wife ditched hers for laptop but ditched laptop for a desktop about year ago.Her phone does most of what her laptop did as for her use and its much more portable. But she still wants a desk top at home.No batteries ;cheaper with larger screen for entertainment use .

Old 11-25-2014, 11:11 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,656,019 times
I ditched my desktop 4 years ago, puked at the cost of the Macbook Pro but bought it and haven't looked back since...

Old 11-26-2014, 12:22 AM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Desktop sits in a closet. Laptop sits on a tray next to my chair. Tablet on my end table. Smart phone in my pocket.

A lot of what I do I do on my tablet. When it comes to serious research I'm on the laptop.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:23 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,973,633 times
Re: Earthquake:
Here's the thing about landlines that I learned during 9/11: during a crisis, they don't work either because the lines are jammed...

Old 11-26-2014, 08:33 AM

4,244 posts, read 12,770,606 times
Mandatory desktop in my house. I like the larger and separate monitor (biggest plus feature for me), and bigger keyboard, so that I can sit right on top of it or lean back in my chair with the keyboard in my lap. Although it takes up space, I like the separate tower that makes access easy to the CD/DVD drive and USB ports. No frustrations ever with battery running low - another great "feature". I also have two external harddrives used for backups.

As well I have two laptops, one with Win 7 and one with XP (to run the programs that won't work with Win 7). I can bounce easily between the desktop and laptops using a flashdrive - so much more convenient than emailing myself with attached files to move between computers. Laptops, though larger than tablets, do give me portability and mobility. It's just frustrating to run for the cord when the battery starts getting low.

I could never stop using these computers and go only with a tablet because I have a number of programs that require a CD. This is just one reason of many.

Going with a tablet only is a decision someone makes based on what kinds of things a person does with computing and not based on some concept that desktops are now dinosaurs. I research and I write and I'd be lost without a big monitor in front of me.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:26 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,006,950 times
We have a desktop and laptop at my house.

My current laptop is only a few months old, but I honestly think it might be my last one. My old one failed after less than 2 years, the motherboard died and it was out of warranty. It would have been almost as expensive to fix as a new one would have cost. My current one has already had a hard drive failure. It was under warranty, though. I've had very bad luck with laptops and good luck with desktops. Our current one has been running for over 2 years trouble free. The one we had before that served us for almost 8 years.

I definitely could not get by with a tablet either. As a college student who has to write multiple page papers, I know a good keyboard when I see one. Most laptop keyboards and many newer desktop keyboards are junk for typing. No CD, USB, or SD port is also a major turn-off for a tablet. Some do have USB and SD ports now, although it's limited as to what you can do with them.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:19 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianator View Post
We have a desktop and laptop at my house.

My current laptop is only a few months old, but I honestly think it might be my last one. My old one failed after less than 2 years, the motherboard died and it was out of warranty. It would have been almost as expensive to fix as a new one would have cost. My current one has already had a hard drive failure. It was under warranty, though. I've had very bad luck with laptops and good luck with desktops. Our current one has been running for over 2 years trouble free. The one we had before that served us for almost 8 years.

I definitely could not get by with a tablet either. As a college student who has to write multiple page papers, I know a good keyboard when I see one. Most laptop keyboards and many newer desktop keyboards are junk for typing. No CD, USB, or SD port is also a major turn-off for a tablet. Some do have USB and SD ports now, although it's limited as to what you can do with them.

Amazon.com: iKross Micro-USB 2-in-1 OTG / SD Memory Card Reader Adapter For Samsung Galaxy S5 / S4 / Mega / Note 4 / Note 3 Android Smartphone: Cell Phones & Accessories

We use this.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:00 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,973,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Mandatory desktop in my house.
Not ONE thing in your post couldn't be EASILY done with a laptop.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:04 PM

4,370 posts, read 9,520,005 times
If you ever need to print anything that is not something that can be done very easily with a phone or tablet. I also hate touch screen keyboards for anything more than a few words in a text message. Most of those bluetooth keyboards are too compact and hard to type on. I normally use a desktop (23" all-in-one) for most tasks and my phone/tablet only if I need to look up something quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or