U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 03:10 AM

688 posts, read 774,173 times

Advertisements

IMO, while most people consider formatting to be the last option, I prefer to do it every 3-5 years or so. It's nice to start with a clean slate from an operating system standpoint. You will likely never clean every bit of junk off of your computer without formatting.

The thing that scares people is, "I'll lose all my stuff!" Well, you could back it up somewhere, anywhere (cheap flash drives) and do it. Then when you reinstall, partition your drives so your OS can be by itself and you install everything onto a "storage" partition. That way, the next time you want to format, you can just format the OS partition.

Or do what I do and just have two HDDs.

It's good practice to do this because at any point, your OS could become corrupt and unless you have available OS backups, the only way to snag your data from it is to install your HDD onto another computer and pull it from there, which is a hassle if you don't own multiple computers or have any basic hardware knowledge.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:13 AM

28,631 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Your frequency of 3-5 years doesn't fall into the category of last option in my mind. Doing it any time there's a problem that requires actually researching something is what drives techs crazy.

You do it the right way for the right reasons. I just did mine and my wife's after a few years. Mine really needed it and we decided to do both because hers is 4 years old. We keep everything on a Windows Home Server so there's no need to back anything up. Just format and go.

And both laptops are running much faster now.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I figured it was crap, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I've tried different browsers and it made no difference.

I don't know what "reformat" means in this context. I'll research it and learn about it.

Thanks again.

ETA: Yikes! I just Googled reformat a hard drive and learned that the process deletes all existing data. I don't want to do that. < sigh > Will have to try to come up with some other way to speed things up, especially since it's just a couple of websites I'm having difficulty with.

First, you're a naughty girl, PJ. You haven't come back to this thread and let us know what's going on. If your PC is down, I apologize.

I missed the bolded earlier. You may be going through servers that are having problems or DDOS attacks to get to these sites, and not others. That would explain the "only these sites" phenomena.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:20 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Your frequency of 3-5 years doesn't fall into the category of last option in my mind. Doing it any time there's a problem that requires actually researching something is what drives techs crazy.
Exactly. The clowns that do nothing but suggest to people on here to wipe and reload all the time do it because they have no clue how to actually solve a problem.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:47 PM

86 posts, read 70,323 times
Well, you can always backup your files on an external hard drive and reset your computer to its factory settings. If the problem still persists, you know for sure it is not your computer, and if anything, it will either be your router or your ISP.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:49 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceebo View Post
Well, you can always backup your files on an external hard drive and reset your computer to its factory settings. If the problem still persists, you know for sure it is not your computer, and if anything, it will either be your router or your ISP.
Wiping and reloading a PC is not the way to determine if you have a router or ISP problem

Old 12-07-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceebo
Wiping and reloading a PC is not the way to determine if you have a router or ISP problem
Please learn to read. Thank you.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:06 AM

Please learn that you should read ALL the posts before suggesting an incorrect solution to a problem.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Please learn that you should read ALL the posts before suggesting an incorrect solution to a problem.
Let's hope English is your first language. Besides, your Moderator cut: rude comment removed comment was not necessary, considering the fact that none of the posts here are solutions, but rather suggestions. It is not a solution until it has been proven to work. Apparently, the OP hasn't been having success. Now please stop defending your friends in a virtual forum. Thank you.

Besides, a suggestion cannot be a solution and vice versa. Therefore, your comment is unnecessary and therefore, your comment does not make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceebo View Post

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-08-2014 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: inappropriate language.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:29 AM

39,921 posts, read 57,756,731 times
OP started this thread about 2 weeks ago, and never came back to tell us if she resolved her problem...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers