U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:11 AM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times

Advertisements

Yeah, and that throws me. She's more conscientious than that.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:14 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,750,799 times
She will get back to this thread when she can

Old 12-08-2014, 02:24 AM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceebo View Post
Let's hope English is your first language. Besides, your Moderator cut: rue comment removed comment was not necessary, considering the fact that none of the posts here are solutions, but rather suggestions. It is not a solution until it has been proven to work. Apparently, the OP hasn't been having success. Now please stop defending your friends in a virtual forum. Thank you.

Besides, a suggestion cannot be a solution and vice versa. Therefore, your comment is unnecessary and therefore, your comment does not make sense.
Well, once again, if you had read ALL the posts (I really hate having to repeat myself) you would know that the OP (You know, the person who started the thread) has already rejected your recommendation. Therefore my comments are necessary.

Why do we have to continually go through this crap with posters who:

1. Either don't read all the posts or fail to comprehend what they read.

2. After they fail step one suggest the absolute worst possible path to a supposed solution.

3. Get all defensive and try to act like they know what they are talking about when called out for not reading all the aforementioned posts, or not comprehending what the OP says when they state they do not want to reformat.

4. Come back once again with some defensive BS after this post.

This really, really gets tiresome.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-08-2014 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 12-08-2014, 06:30 AM

20,555 posts, read 20,535,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yeah, and that throws me. She's more conscientious than that.

Still currently active posting elsewhere. Maybe this one has been forgotten about?

Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 AM

11,749 posts, read 11,315,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Thanks, mensaguy. I just learned that reformatting will make all of my files and data go bye-bye, and I certainly don't want to do that.

Malwarebytes came up with nothing that needed fixing. Do CCleaner and Glary Utilities do pretty much the same thing?

I've tried using Chrome and that didn't make a difference.

Until recently, I've always liked IE and didn't have a problem with it. On my previous PC, someone talked me into using Firefox, and that pretty much wrecked my computer, to the point where I just went out and bought a new one. (I wanted to switch from a tower to a laptop anyway. )

Because I'm not a techie, I don't adapt very well to major changes to my PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Sorry for the delayed reply. It's been an extremely busy few days, with the holiday and all.

No, I didn't install any new software or change any settings. I just started losing my connection to C-D and one other site, and when I am able to get something to post (such as this very comment), I often have to wait 20-30 seconds or even more while the little arrow goes around in a circle before the comment actually posts. Often, it eventually just kicks me off the page and I get the warning "This page cannot be displayed." < sigh > Then I start all over and try it again.

Also, about the same time this problem started, a problem began with my email as well. I used to frequently send attached documents and images in emails, and now they only go through maybe 1 out of 20 attempts, and when the messages do go through, they take a long time -- I'm talking 10 minutes -- to send. The size of the attachments doesn't matter -- very tiny files of, say, 65kb take just as long as a 1mg image. It's very frustrating. I've tried sending attachments to emails sent via Outlook and also via webmail, and have the same problem either way. It's as though my PC is possessed! Do you think I need to pay a professional to service it? Could it be a problem with my ISP?

Based on your previous comments, I'm assuming that you are using Internet Explorer 11 on your new computer, while is running Windows 8.1. There are some default settings in Internet Explorer than can cause this kind of symptom to show up.

By default, IE is set to store 20 days of surfing history, use an inadequate amount of disk space to store Temporary Internet Files, and leave the files on the hard drive when IE is closed.

I always recommend making these changes: Set the "Days to keep pages in History" to 0 or 1 (the result is the same either way). Change the "Disk space to use" to 1024. [This is the amount of hard disk space that IE is allowed to use for Temporary file. Setting it to the max (1 GB)hurts nothing, but solves a number of problems.] Finally, put a check mark in "Delete browsing history on exit." [This doesn't work very well, but is better that not checking it. You still need to go delete the Temporary Internet Files periodically anyway.]

All of these settings are in the Internet Options in IE.

Since you bought a new computer, I would like to recommend that you install a different browser. I bought a new one recently. When I set it up, I only did two things to it the first day. I removed McAfee and installed Firefox. The PC has worked fine since day one, although I have done a few other things to it since then. (Most of the other guys here prefer Chrome over Firefox, but I'm just different like that. )

Details: One way to prove that the Temporary files settings are causing problems is to go through a LOT of pages, say 25 different CD forum pages. Then, keep clicking on the "Back" button. Encountering a "Page cannot be displayed" message kind of confirms that the problem ha been identified.

Tek, Dave, coalman, do you agree that these things should be tried?

Old 12-08-2014, 09:04 AM

40,655 posts, read 15,520,013 times
To all who have posted here, thank you so much! I sincerely apologize for being MIA recently. Between work and evening commitments and spending 99% of my C-D time on mod duties, I've had no time to deal with my PC.

I will read all of your comments asap and will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 AM

40,655 posts, read 15,520,013 times
Again, I apologize for being MIA. I honestly have not had one free evening in over three weeks to deal with this, and this sort of thing takes quite a bit of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Have you rebooted your router? I've had to do that a couple of times lately when page loads slowed down too much.
Yes, if "rebooting" means unplugging it and starting it up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've used CCleaner and Tuneup Utilities forever. Malwarebytes too.
I've had other people tell me that CCleaner doesn't really do any good. Yes, I've run Malwarebytes more than once recently. It found no threats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
How much free space is there on your hard drive?

My Computer/Drive C/Right Click/Properties

Free space is magenta.

One of things that is easy to do using Ccleaner is check what programs run at startup and what programs are installed. At the left of the screen is a menu bar that runs vertically. Go to Tools/Startup or Tools/Uninstall.

While these are displayed you will see, in the bottom right corner, "Save to text file..." Doing this means you can copy the lists to City Data and let us look them over.

In addition you will see tabs across the top of the screen when startup files are displayed. You can click each one to see what those programs run at startup as well.

It is very possible that something on one of these screens could be causing your problems.
I have tons of free space on my hard drive. (I'm not home right now, so can't check exactly how much.) I don't have nearly as many programs on my hard drive as many people do - no games or any huge files like that. I'm only using a small portion of the capacity. But I will try doing the CCleaner steps that you recommend. I will not have any time to do this until the weekend, though. I have noticed that my PC takes a little longer to start up and shut down than it did when it was new. (It's about 2.5 years old.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Does cleaning the registry speed your computer up?
Sorry, I have no idea what this means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
IMO, while most people consider formatting to be the last option, I prefer to do it every 3-5 years or so. It's nice to start with a clean slate from an operating system standpoint. You will likely never clean every bit of junk off of your computer without formatting.

The thing that scares people is, "I'll lose all my stuff!" Well, you could back it up somewhere, anywhere (cheap flash drives) and do it. Then when you reinstall, partition your drives so your OS can be by itself and you install everything onto a "storage" partition. That way, the next time you want to format, you can just format the OS partition.

Or do what I do and just have two HDDs.

It's good practice to do this because at any point, your OS could become corrupt and unless you have available OS backups, the only way to snag your data from it is to install your HDD onto another computer and pull it from there, which is a hassle if you don't own multiple computers or have any basic hardware knowledge.
Sorry, but parts of this post are way over my head. "Partition"? "HDDs"? "OS backups"?

Quote:
Well, you can always backup your files on an external hard drive and reset your computer to its factory settings. If the problem still persists, you know for sure it is not your computer, and if anything, it will either be your router or your ISP.
Hmm. I'm not sure how to reset my PC to its factory settings, nor whether I want to do that. I'll look into it further, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Based on your previous comments, I'm assuming that you are using Internet Explorer 11 on your new computer, while is running Windows 8.1. There are some default settings in Internet Explorer than can cause this kind of symptom to show up.

By default, IE is set to store 20 days of surfing history, use an inadequate amount of disk space to store Temporary Internet Files, and leave the files on the hard drive when IE is closed.

I always recommend making these changes: Set the "Days to keep pages in History" to 0 or 1 (the result is the same either way). Change the "Disk space to use" to 1024. [This is the amount of hard disk space that IE is allowed to use for Temporary file. Setting it to the max (1 GB)hurts nothing, but solves a number of problems.] Finally, put a check mark in "Delete browsing history on exit." [This doesn't work very well, but is better that not checking it. You still need to go delete the Temporary Internet Files periodically anyway.]

All of these settings are in the Internet Options in IE.

Since you bought a new computer, I would like to recommend that you install a different browser. I bought a new one recently. When I set it up, I only did two things to it the first day. I removed McAfee and installed Firefox. The PC has worked fine since day one, although I have done a few other things to it since then. (Most of the other guys here prefer Chrome over Firefox, but I'm just different like that. )

Details: One way to prove that the Temporary files settings are causing problems is to go through a LOT of pages, say 25 different CD forum pages. Then, keep clicking on the "Back" button. Encountering a "Page cannot be displayed" message kind of confirms that the problem ha been identified.

Tek, Dave, coalman, do you agree that these things should be tried?
There's a ton of good info here, which I'll print out and re-read several times. Btw, I'm using Win 7. I think I can change the "history" setting pretty easily, so that'll be one of the first things I'll do.

Everyone, thank you so very much for all of your advice. This week my schedule is a nightmare, so I will have to wait till Saturday to start implementing some of the tools you have given me. I realize that you technical folks probably get very frustrated with people who are ignorant about software, and I appreciate your patience.

I will let you all know next week how things are going. Stand by!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:11 AM

20,555 posts, read 20,535,478 times
Thanks for your updates and apologies not really necessary but appreciated that you took the time.
I've only been reading this and some of it is baffling and a bit scary for me to think of attempting , too.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:31 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Quote:
Please learn to read. Thank you.
I can read quite well, I was able to pick out your unhelpful reply with no difficulty.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:58 AM

8,395 posts, read 7,584,570 times
You might want to use the Registry Repair within Glary Utilities. Like one of the previous respondents, I use both CCleaner and Glary Utilities regularly to clean up the internet residue and help maintain my privacy and security. You might also want to regularly defragment your hard drive after you've deleted files with CCleaner and Glary Utilities. The above actions will speed things up.

Don't also just rely on your resident antivirus. I would use an online scanner like f-secure or bitdefender every now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers