U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:09 AM

40,655 posts, read 15,520,013 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever used a product called WinCleaner? It plugs into a USB port and supposedly cleans up all the unneeded junk off the hard drive so that the PC can work a lot faster.

I've been having a heck of a time lately, losing my connection to City-Data and one other website, while other sites work just fine. I don't know much about software and wonder whether the WinCleaner thingy would be helpful. www.wincleaner.com I saw it advertised on TV, so it may be crap, but I thought I'd ask.

I've run Malwarebytes, cleaned up cookies, and my security software (Secure Anywhere) runs constantly. Security checks reveal no problems. I can't figure out why I'm having so much trouble with just a couple of websites; mostly with City-Data.

I'm using a different PC right now.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:30 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,682,491 times
As a general rule, those types of "cleaner" programs are complete crap.

Looking at their website, I'd stay far away from it.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:50 AM

2,281 posts, read 2,531,373 times
If anything use CrapCleaner for cleaning up but it won´t solve your problem. Have you tried differnt browsers?
Maybe reset your browser settings to standard.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:01 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,973,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
As a general rule, those types of "cleaner" programs are complete crap.

Looking at their website, I'd stay far away from it.
+1

Have you considered a reformat?

Old 11-26-2014, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I figured it was crap, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I've tried different browsers and it made no difference.

I don't know what "reformat" means in this context. I'll research it and learn about it.

Thanks again.

ETA: Yikes! I just Googled reformat a hard drive and learned that the process deletes all existing data. I don't want to do that. < sigh > Will have to try to come up with some other way to speed things up, especially since it's just a couple of websites I'm having difficulty with.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:12 PM

11,749 posts, read 11,315,152 times
Don't reformat until all other options have been exhausted.

CCleaner is good. Malwarebytes is good. Glary Utilities is good.

Use a browser other than Internet Explorer.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:16 PM

86 posts, read 70,335 times
Might just be city-data and that other website. Either way, even if all websites don't load at the usual speed, these products sell you the hope of fixing your computer, just like medication which only treats symptoms but not the root cause.

Being a software developer myself, I can tell you that these programs are legit, to some extent. However, defining a "legit" software product is not so easy, especially when it's sold by some kind of company that doesn't have a reputation on the market. The main strategy here is to wipe your hard drive by deleting unusable files and folders, such as temporary internet files, browser cache and cookies, maybe some Java cache, and hope that things will just get better. Any marketing fellow will tell you that if you buy a product with a lot of hope and with not much background in how it actually works, you will believe it works because you've just paid for it.

I've made a few of these "delete the junk" tools and they more or less don't fix any of the problems computer users have. The usual complaints are slow internet connections, freezing computer, blue screens, etc. These are problems usually caused by a lack of RAM, too many start-up programs or poor router placements. Make sure you're not booting up with hundreds of programs in your start-up. Also, try to restart your router. If this doesn't help, try calling your ISP and make them restart your router and see if anything fishy is going on.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Don't reformat until all other options have been exhausted.

CCleaner is good. Malwarebytes is good. Glary Utilities is good.

Use a browser other than Internet Explorer.
Thanks, mensaguy. I just learned that reformatting will make all of my files and data go bye-bye, and I certainly don't want to do that.

Malwarebytes came up with nothing that needed fixing. Do CCleaner and Glary Utilities do pretty much the same thing?

I've tried using Chrome and that didn't make a difference.

Until recently, I've always liked IE and didn't have a problem with it. On my previous PC, someone talked me into using Firefox, and that pretty much wrecked my computer, to the point where I just went out and bought a new one. (I wanted to switch from a tower to a laptop anyway. )

Because I'm not a techie, I don't adapt very well to major changes to my PC.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:21 PM

86 posts, read 70,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Until recently, I've always liked IE and didn't have a problem with it. On my previous PC, someone talked me into using Firefox, and that pretty much wrecked my computer, to the point where I just went out and bought a new one. (I wanted to switch from a tower to a laptop anyway. )
Any programs or services you have installed before this was happening?

Old 11-29-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceebo View Post
Any programs or services you have installed before this was happening?
Sorry for the delayed reply. It's been an extremely busy few days, with the holiday and all.

No, I didn't install any new software or change any settings. I just started losing my connection to C-D and one other site, and when I am able to get something to post (such as this very comment), I often have to wait 20-30 seconds or even more while the little arrow goes around in a circle before the comment actually posts. Often, it eventually just kicks me off the page and I get the warning "This page cannot be displayed." < sigh > Then I start all over and try it again.

Also, about the same time this problem started, a problem began with my email as well. I used to frequently send attached documents and images in emails, and now they only go through maybe 1 out of 20 attempts, and when the messages do go through, they take a long time -- I'm talking 10 minutes -- to send. The size of the attachments doesn't matter -- very tiny files of, say, 65kb take just as long as a 1mg image. It's very frustrating. I've tried sending attachments to emails sent via Outlook and also via webmail, and have the same problem either way. It's as though my PC is possessed! Do you think I need to pay a professional to service it? Could it be a problem with my ISP?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-29-2014 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers